Quantcast

F off, I searched. Is there a cast iron thread already?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a couple of cast irons but I use my non-stick more often. So much so that it needed replacement. Anybody want an old induction-compatible sticky non-stick skillet?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Dutch oven is enameled. I always wanted to experiment with burying it in a fire for baking. Just haven't. My home oven isn't effective as a bread oven. I am planning on getting a Lodge Cast Iron Oven from Walmart or amazon for camping.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
have 2 skillets in the lye bath. once i remove and clean them, to reseason i coat the entire skillet yes? not just the cooking surface?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm about to try a Lodge carbon steel for a change...

Ed: Actually it's "Merten and Storck" or something, cheap and generic and Chinese made I'm sure.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pluck the dutch oven from thine own eye...

Speaking of which, I got the wife a ceramic-coated Lodge for a gift a while back. Then I found one of the shallow style for $40 in a home good store and picked that up, too. Gonna be with me in Pakistan...figuring it for a biryani maker...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, maybe in a year, but I got that year in Pakistan first.

I'll know for certain fall-ish where I land after that. Denver and Seattle are the top two contenders for me now, if I can wrangle the spots from the field.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ok...SOLD. One first omelette on the carbon steel. Wow. Super-slick surface...assume cast iron would be similar if I sanded it, but this is straight up slippery and heats fast as hell but pretty evenly. Love it and might be a go-to over the iron for a lot of things.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My Dutch oven is enameled. I always wanted to experiment with burying it in a fire for baking. Just haven't. My home oven isn't effective as a bread oven. I am planning on getting a Lodge Cast Iron Oven from Walmart or amazon for camping.
I finally got a ceramic coated after years and years of horrible cleaning on the plain iron. My well-seasoned skillets clean easy, but after hours of roasting stuff in a big dutch oven, it gets really hard to scrape off, I've found. And just found a second shallower style on sale for $40 at a Homegoods or something and couldn't resist buying it...figured I'd use for biryani or tagine or some similar stuff.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I finally got a ceramic coated after years and years of horrible cleaning on the plain iron. My well-seasoned skillets clean easy, but after hours of roasting stuff in a big dutch oven, it gets really hard to scrape off, I've found. And just found a second shallower style on sale for $40 at a Homegoods or something and couldn't resist buying it...figured I'd use for biryani or tagine or some similar stuff.
I gave mine to my niece. For her new apartment. She makes bread and cornbread with it. The lodge one was terrible to clean. It sits in a cabinet. I find little use for it. I use the lid for 20 different things however.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have a couple of Lodge steel skillets 6.5" and 10.25". I like them, but I mainly use them to cook on my charcoal BBQ.