Quantcast

FAAAWK!!! fawk fawk fawk!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Spent a bit of time today getting my HT ready for some road riding tomorrow. Last thing on the to-do list was to take the SPDs from the Yeti and move them to the HT. Got the first one off no problem. Second one started fine, but stuck a little mid way. Ok, stuck a lot. Took most of my strength to get it to move the next 3/4 turn, after that, it "broke" free and came out easily.

I cleaned the pedal off and took a closer look - 1 1/2 of the threads are filled with shiny silver metal. So I took a closer look at the threading on the crank - 1 1/2 of the threads are missing.

FAAAWK!!!

/ :mumble: on /

I'm frustrated, pissed of, and I have a nasty headache. I'm done with this crap till morning, but I'm betting the pedals are shot... and with my luck, the cranks probably are too.

/ :mumble: off /

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
foxfreerider11 said:
hmmmm thats never good......especially if the cracks are stripped....how much did they run you?
Not a lot... it was one of the parts I cheaped out on when building up the bike. They are FSA vdrives, so they are nice and stiff, but heavy as hell. I think the cranks, rings, and bash guard totaled something like $175. I certainly don't mind upgrading them, but this is just awful timing. With the holidays and all the other crap that's going on, it's going to be a while before I have any money to put into the bike.

Evan Martin

Chimp
May 4, 2004
Well, at least the pedals are probably fine, as the aluminum in the cranks would have striped and the threads on the steel spindle would be filled with the aluminum from the crank, as the steel is the harded of the two materials.

I'm assuming that you have aluminum cranks of some sort and pedals with steel spindles.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Helicoil your crank arm, it will be fine!

I like the Saint cranks steel pedal insert for this reason.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
major bummer. if it makes you feel any better, this summer i switched some pedals onto a bike, forgot to tighten them all the way, then went out dj'ing. those ended up ripping out pretty quickly and ruining my cranks.
i've got an extra set of v-drive extreme's sitting around if you wanna borrow 'em for awhile. i certainly won't be needing them for a little while. pm me if you want 'em.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Make sure you use the little pedal washer they give you with isis cranks. I'm not sure if the FSAs use them, but truvativ cranks are worthless without them, they'll strip even under normal use.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Zark said:
Helicoil your crank arm, it will be fine!
Bingo

There are pedal thread specific heli-coil kits that your LBS might already have, if not they can get one from BTI or QBP. It will run you a few bones but it will also save the cranks. :thumb:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
w00dy said:
Make sure you use the little pedal washer they give you with isis cranks. I'm not sure if the FSAs use them, but truvativ cranks are worthless without them, they'll strip even under normal use.
They are still worthless when you try to remove the pedal. :rolleyes: I believe they have fixed the problem, but I had several pairs of '03 Hussefelts that came with the "self extracting pedal thread instert system." I use V-Drives now.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
w00dy said:
Yep, I got em and I am/was using them.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
joelsman said:
contact fsa, they have a good warranty
I can't see how this was anything but my fault, but it's worth a try I guess. Maybe since I'm willing to upgrade to the carbon cranks, they'll be a little more generous than they might otherwise have to be.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
punkassean said:
Bingo

There are pedal thread specific heli-coil kits that your LBS might already have, if not they can get one from BTI or QBP. It will run you a few bones but it will also save the cranks. :thumb:
Thanks - I've never heard of these kits, but I'll call my LBS tomorrow and see what they have to say.

J

JRB

If you broke Vdrives working on them, you shouldn't even smell a pair of carbon cranks. ;)

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
jacksonpt said:
I can't see how this was anything but my fault, but it's worth a try I guess. Maybe since I'm willing to upgrade to the carbon cranks, they'll be a little more generous than they might otherwise have to be.
Honestly, give them a try. I had the exact same thing happen to my drive side crank and they warrantied it even though I had modified (read ground to sh!t) the crank arm to fit a trials bashring. I think they must have had a problem in manufacturing early on, because they didnt even ask me the specifics - as soon as I said "stripped pedal threads" they asked for my address. good turn around time too.

They have been going strong even with trials abuse for a good 6 months now.

Jonathan

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just wanted to update... I took my bike to the LBS today on my lunch - they took a look at it and said about 1/3 of the threads are shot... said they could Helicoil the crank for about $20. So it doesn't look like it's going to be huge of a deal afterall.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
Just wanted to update... I took my bike to the LBS today on my lunch - they took a look at it and said about 1/3 of the threads are shot... said they could Helicoil the crank for about $20. So it doesn't look like it's going to be huge of a deal afterall.
that's good news Jackson. :thumb: