Quantcast

Fabien Barel and his mondraker summum

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
where can one get a mondraker? In the 100th issue of Dirt they were having a spooge-fest over it. Must be good. Never see 'em around though.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Just knock out the th part of the link:

Looks awesome in those colours! Tempted to do mine!

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
glad you liking it guys! It's late here in Barcelona, so time to sleep, but will jump in tomorrow and get you more info about head angle crazyness and how much it helps when things get complicated...

I rode last year the bike at 60º at Schladming WC and was amazing how much confidence I had on steep stuff, didn't need to move my weight backward so could keep weight and grip on the front wheel what made the bike handle so good... But also I have to say that is only for a few ocasions, for most of the stuff 63-62 is great, but need some time to get used to, first time feels like **** (in other terms, bad)... :)

good night and thanks for giving me a smile to finish my day :D

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Hey Cesar, any updates planned for the frame?

83mm BB, post brake mount (check the Turner DHR design), press fit BB etc?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Haha that dude is a laugh. Deadset legend.

What brake pads did he say he was running?

edit - nevermind... brake authority pads. His own stuff

Last edited:

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
@Cesar, how is your injury?
Thanks for asking! Injury is not as good as expected but I'm doing some XC rides, but no DH at the moment. Going to get another surgery to get everything off next month, so I'm able to race again next year... Time will tell

Hey Cesar, any updates planned for the frame?

83mm BB, post brake mount (check the Turner DHR design), press fit BB etc?
It will stay same for next year, we introduced 3 complete new models for 2011 and that kept me so busy. We'll stay with the 73mm bb shell that is working great we have no problems with chain or anything related and makes the bike less wide so more clearence with rocks and so... If something doesn't give you any problems you better stay with.

Press fit bb is something we thought about it last year but only XTR bb was available from shimano, so makes things expensive, for next year things have changed, but we need new toolings for the big machine plates, etc,... But we will have it in mind for the newer one ;)

And about post mount, sure we will adopt it, all our new designed 2012 bikes have them.

voodooisland

Chimp
Aug 20, 2010
i already posted this in another thread.just to make sure the right person/people read/s it,here it goes once more:
just changed my spring to titanium & seen the lower axle/shockmount has serious wear!2 stripes about 0,1-0,2mm deep & 2mm wide;and this after just 7 days of riding dh.
anyone here the same problem?both shockmounts still slide in with no play,so it still works,but if the wear continues........breaking mounts are no fun.the german distributor just said:ride it until it has some play & then get back to us for warranty!!good recommendation......'cause this will be when more parts will have suffered & i need to replace more parts-they will earn more!!
however i now put the lower shockmount/axle in the higher position to see what happens.
the rear itself without shock is really moving smoothly.the only thing that comes to my mind is a minimum misalignment in the shock linkage area,but how can i check that??

what also irritates me is that i seem to be the only one using a really soft 250 spring.
sag is perfect at about 35-40 percent.doesn't bottom out with almost no lowspeed-compression in,just a little highspeed & bottomout!the original 350 spring gave me just 20 percent sag.and i weigh about 80-85 kg with all gear on.

i hope someone,maybe cesar the man himself, can help me or knows more about that stuff. the german distributor was no help at all.
anyway i'll ride the bike tomorrow & we'll see.......
cheers dudes

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
i already posted this in another thread.just to make sure the right person/people read/s it,here it goes once more:
just changed my spring to titanium & seen the lower axle/shockmount has serious wear!2 stripes about 0,1-0,2mm deep & 2mm wide;and this after just 7 days of riding dh.
anyone here the same problem?both shockmounts still slide in with no play,so it still works,but if the wear continues........breaking mounts are no fun.the german distributor just said:ride it until it has some play & then get back to us for warranty!!good recommendation......'cause this will be when more parts will have suffered & i need to replace more parts-they will earn more!!
however i now put the lower shockmount/axle in the higher position to see what happens.
the rear itself without shock is really moving smoothly.the only thing that comes to my mind is a minimum misalignment in the shock linkage area,but how can i check that??

what also irritates me is that i seem to be the only one using a really soft 250 spring.
sag is perfect at about 35-40 percent.doesn't bottom out with almost no lowspeed-compression in,just a little highspeed & bottomout!the original 350 spring gave me just 20 percent sag.and i weigh about 80-85 kg with all gear on.

i hope someone,maybe cesar the man himself, can help me or knows more about that stuff. the german distributor was no help at all.
anyway i'll ride the bike tomorrow & we'll see.......
cheers dudes
Sorry don't get that often here in forum! That looks like something is wrong with the fox bushing as they are suposed to be turning between the steel axle and the Du bushing, not between the steel axle and the aluminium bolt. So you may want to take the shock axle adapters off and put some grease there, or maybe replace them if that doesn't work, also you can use some very thin sand paper with the outside of the steel axle so is not that tight. But seems like a problem with the shock tolerances to me.

Hope this helps

voodooisland

Chimp
Aug 20, 2010
thanx cesar,exactly that tolerance in shock bushing was the problem.sandpaper worked perfectly.the lower steelaxle was sitting in there tight as hell,had to hammer it out.but now it's working smooth as never before.
anyway the bike is a dream.my only(but not real) problem is,when i change from my intense 951(ex kovarik team-bike) to the summum,i have to ride totally different.with the 951 you have to shift your weight backwards more often,whereas on the summum,you just stay centered (& more balanced) most of the time,which leads to a lot more aggressive riding.on my really rocky hometrack all the breaking points changed totally thanx to a lot more speed being carried,most of all through the superrough sections.
and despite the low bb i now can pedal most of the rooty sections.