Quantcast

Fabien Barel helmet cam

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Yeah it was sweet, looks like a beautiful run... I really want to see more pics of the Mondraker.... From what i saw it looked very nice.. any one got any more info?

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
it looks like they use corners to gain speed.
haha not me (I'm the one with the camera), but Fabien does it somehow I still have no idea how he can take me so much out of a corner, when both getting in pretty much same speed but he just gets of the corner way faster... It's on minute 1.12, we both get of there no pedals but he just goes away and i don't even touch brake after corner or anything so is just the speed he keeps out of there, sick! That i think is why he has 3 rainbow jersey's (yes, one junior) and i don't have any, haha!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
haha not me (I'm the one with the camera), but Fabien does it somehow I still have no idea how he can take me so much out of a corner, when both getting in pretty much same speed but he just gets of the corner way faster... It's on minute 1.12, we both get of there no pedals but he just goes away and i don't even touch brake after corner or anything so is just the speed he keeps out of there, sick! That i think is why he has 3 rainbow jersey's (yes, one junior) and i don't have any, haha!
You were on his ass the whole time though, great riding on your part.

Some of those sections with all of the rocks, you looked like you just hucked all of it, bombed right through it, very impressive.

Where is that trail again? Obviously just a whereabouts not exact location.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Verrry impressive riding from both of you. I agree with Rufus about the rock section riding. Maaaaad ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Out of the 3 types of used, the VIO Pov.1 is the most badass. Also the most expensive.

That is, unless you get your hands on one of the Sony HD helmet cams they're coming out with. :drool:
The Vio POV1 is hands down the best helmet cam on the market. It is however $600+ . Go Pro just fired me over a couple of units to try and the mounting options alone have me super impressed. I can't wait to try them next week!

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Nice video and riding, I enjoyed the part where you two were darting through the rocks... that spot where you jumped seemed a little sketchy :D

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The Vio POV1 is hands down the best helmet cam on the market. It is however $600+ . Go Pro just fired me over a couple of units to try and the mounting options alone have me super impressed. I can't wait to try them next week!
i've been impressed with the go-pro vids i've seen so far, and at $250-300 it's well priced. I've had my eye on one for a while.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Barrel is awesome to watch, end of discussion!
Others are fast but his style is awesome. His segment on NWD blew my mind. Nice helmet footage looks trippy that everything thing is moving apart from the helmet.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
the go-pro resolution as a bit low but it reacts good to light changes and has pretty vivid color. I have been using a Vio-sport since Dave first started selling them a long time ago. I started using it with my video cam and have since wired it into an Aiptec SD recorder. Works pretty good but i would much rather have a stand alone unit since I hate the wires. I think I would use a stand alone a lot more.

Anyway, the POV1 is an awesome unit. Blows everything else away. We rode in Whislter last year with a guy that had one and the video was very good even on a HD TV. A go pro is good for youtube but looks like poo on a HD big screen.

Another option is a Tachyon XC. People on the moto forums give them pretty good reviews.

here are a couple of places with more info:

http://helmetcamreview.wordpress.com/
http://www.helmetcamreview.com/

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Comparing a Vio POV1 to a go Pro, Vholdr or anything else isn't really fair however. You are comparing a $600+ to a $189 device (or less depending on mounting options).

For the smaller, budget cams, the Go Pro seems to blow everything else away, which is why i was so stoked to get my hands on them.

We had a couple of Vios for freecaster last year and we didn't use them much as it is hard to get athletes into them. Cables, backpacks, tape to hold cables out of the way on their back etc.

With the go pro you can just strap it on (chest harness is AWESOME, as is the vented helmet strap mount) and go in about 10 seconds. No sticking anything to $1500 paintjobs, no wires to deal with, no process, no drama.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
I've had awesome experiences with the VholdR.
Super easy to just turn on and go, plus it has laser sights to adjust the view!:thumb:
The sliding actuation of the record switch is the best I've used too as far as turning stuff on and off with gloves on.
Not to mention the program that comes with it makes downloading your videos to your computer incredibly easy, just plug it in to the supplied cable and hit import.
I'd give it 5 stars

Last edited:

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Respect for the guy with the helmetcam.
There aren't that many cameramen that
can actually follow a World Champ.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
What a great vid!

I mean, when you are actually riding, and focused, downhill makes sense, but when you watch somebody else with a helmet cam going mach1... man it's scary!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I hate helmet cam footage.

Not this one though. What a 'feelgood' ride!

Common Cesar, invite me down there! I'll do you a swap.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Fraser

You are correct, wires suck. Like I said, I hardly use my current helmet cam due to the wires. I love the color that the Go-pro cameras have but again the video resolution isn't the greatest. Was your picture caputured video? It looks like a still shot.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
The guy with the camera is a Spanish pro racer (Cesar Rojo who just posted a few posts above...) and If I'm not mistaken, he's is the man behind Mondraker's last project; the Zero system...c'mon Cesar don't be so modest and tell us what your plans are for the upcoming season! are you going to race this year??:busted:
Respect for the guy with the helmetcam.
There aren't that many cameramen that
can actually follow a World Champ.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Thats looks very promising....but I'm more interested in seein the kit underneath that sheet :)
I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

As someone mentioned, that is a still from the camera. Apparently it shoots 5mp still shots, so i tried it out just to see what 170 degs looks like from the chest mount.

I think I will be using this view for most helmetcam runs this season, it's pretty much perfect and only takes about 2 secs to get the harness on and go, easily done in the lift line.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
For reference, this is what the Go Pro Wide on the chest harness looks like! SICK.

That is freaking cool... gives the best view I've seen so far to represent what the rider actually sees - even though I don't think i normally see my handlebars when I ride, it definitely gives a better impression on video than getting this "gliding down the trail" feel.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That is freaking cool... gives the best view I've seen so far to represent what the rider actually sees - even though I don't think i normally see my handlebars when I ride, it definitely gives a better impression on video than getting this "gliding down the trail" feel.
That's pretty much my feeling as well. It's 170deg view, just about the same as the human eyes (combined). It ads a bit of distortion, but I think it's just about perfect. You'll be able to see braking, suspension movement etc. Really happy. The added bonus is that it only takes about 3 seconds t put on the chest harness.

First test run, next week in Moab. Then it's South Africa!

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Just been in Gouveia for the maxxis race so couldn't follow this much, but the camera as Transcend said is a VIO POV.

Here one from the track and Gouveia the camera was fixed in very poor way but promise if i make it to Vigo will be much better and focusing more to the front so can see the track better!

Gouveia Track on Vimeo