Quantcast

Fabien's Stab, very strange floating brake geometry

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Alright, admittedly I haven't read every post in this thread (due to time constraints) but here's what I know right from the designer's own words. This design was requested by the race team because it causes the bike to compress during braking. The racers wanted this trait to preload for corners. According to Dew, all framesets (Stab and Stinky Supreme) will have the parallel mount and the one pictured on Fabien's ride so riders can choose which trait they'd like.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Sideways said:
Unless you're trying to build anarcho-bicycle-choppers that don't ride as you'd expect or want them to...then that's just stupid.

Does this Fabian dude just drag his brakes all the way down the hill?
This is the most ass backwards way of getting a bike to have less squish that I've ever seen.

Makes me want to ride a '93 Trek 9000.
The key is that Fabien is trying to use the brakes, and the effects of their force, in a bit of an unconventional way. Hey, this guy jumps out of helicopters on his bike and has been known to run slicks in a dh race.....

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
vitox said:
not meaning to pick on your work because it seems you got the guy just what he wanted, but the logic doesnt quite work for me, i mean if he wanted less travel why not just, emm, less travel? if he wanted more sag then why not less spring? too high bb, why not a shorter stroke shock with 25lbs less spring on it?. that coupled with some orthopedic crowns for his 888 and a neutral floater would on paper at least address all 5 points you outlined.
Don't worry about picking on my work!! That's why I posted it, to see the reactions.

It's not quite as simple as having less travel, it's WHERE you have less travel. It's probably kind of hard to have too much travel at speed, in a straight line, but in a corner it can be undesirable, especially a "smooth" corner.

Also, we did discuss many different options to give him what he wanted. But keep in mind, my only job is to supply floating brakes. I can (and do) add my two cents regarding suspension etc (as if anyone asks), but I really have no say in the matter.

Fabien simply asked if I could provide this and I did.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
I think what it boils down to is that some of these guys are so good, they are actually thinking something while going down the hill (I mean, besides oh****).

Sometimes they might be thinking too much, but they're trying to evaluate everything that can affect their speed, and are willing to try things that are outside conventional thinking. In some cases (and this may be one of them) their talent allows them to take advantadge of things that normal humans cannot.

I'm just happy to be a part of the process. Keeping your mind open is a good thing.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
shock said:
The key is that Fabien is trying to use the brakes, and the effects of their force, in a bit of an unconventional way. Hey, this guy jumps out of helicopters on his bike and has been known to run slicks in a dh race.....

Okay, so right hand lever does not equal rear brake lever.
Instead, it controls the rear end squat device.
That might make sence if the trail presents steady gnarly steep roll ins....
:graba handfull of the brake that won't help ya slow down anyways instead to fix the steeper headtube angle that was otherwise working fine for ya.
I can kinda dig it from an offbeat esoteric sorta direction.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Sideways said:
Okay, so right hand lever does not equal rear brake lever.
Instead, it controls the rear end squat device.

calling it that wont sell any, better call it something like the Gforce modulator or similar.