Quantcast

Facebook IPO...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So yeah, thinking about punching out of FB...with the IPO and going public, I cant see it getting better when they are selling our info to the highest bidder. So much for social networking as a place to share ideas and thoughts with friends old and new. Perhaps I am too idealistic...
Would taking out all/as much of your info as possible and not liking anything anymore stop this idiocy??

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've kinda been waiting for FB to jump the shark, and I think this will be the trigger. Enormous pressure to turn huge profits and realize that $10b valuation. I know I'll dump it as soon as I get a strong sell on anything, and I think most people feel the same way.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Shark has been jumped many times. This timeline bs is the latest and biggest. The sheer mass of ego-fueled fvckless-giving blind-ignorance of consequences is the only reason that train still rolls and passengers are still flocking to buy tickets. Facebook, the America of the Internet.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
You guys hear about that graffiti artist Mark Chue, painted up the original FB offices was offered XX amount of stock or a couple thousand dollars. He took stock. His payout is gonna be around 200million.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
Its prime use and functionality has come and gone. It actually used to be useful when it was college network only. Now its full of millions of spammers and inactive profiles. Its myspace v2 now that more ads and apps will surely be on the way.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm always amazed that people put info regarding jobs, contact information, personal background information, relationships etc, on their facebook pages......
Sell all they want of mine. There is no personal info there and nothing but bad ass photos of an awesome life.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Its prime use and functionality has come and gone. It actually used to be useful when it was college network only. Now its full of millions of spammers and inactive profiles. Its myspace v2 now that more ads and apps will surely be on the way.
It's still good as a marketing and networking tool. Quite usefull as an event reminder since all the local pages shut down and went to fb.

As for the IPO does everyone realize that they predict their prices droping at the start because of other market sales? Most of the money to be made has been made already.

I don't understand all the weeping and gnashing of teeth. It has been transparently evident for years that any organization that gets its hands on consumer and personal information is going to mine it. It used to happen when most information traffic was on paper, but was harder to do.

Don't like the applications? Turn them off. Don't want the word getting out? Don't say it. Just like deciding what to say to Officer Friendly.

If you wanted to write a 'bot to mine this web site, but why bother, they exist, you could probably get the goods on a large percentage of the registered users. The evolution of information technology has made it very difficult to be invisible anywhere. It's in some way analogous to global warming - we are as a species too dumb to decide to stop it, so we'll survive or not based on our ability to adapt.

The flip side is that the voice given to us by these communication tools has allowed us unwashed masses to shout down a number of governments and corporations - it has happened before to Facebook. Not sure where it'll go, but it's interesting.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
^ Completely agree.

The fact is, you can't exist in any kind of meaningful, consistent way in the virtual world without leaving a lot of clues as to your identity. So what if I have my work and relationship status on Facebook? It's not particularly private or noteworthy. There are plenty of personal pictures on here, along with job info, relationship discussions, etc. from any number of members. I can access IP addresses which often lead back to businesses directly, but certainly geographical regions.

You have plenty of control over what information Facebook has and how people see it. Social media is a convenient tool - and for that tool, which is given out for free, you make a tradeoff. Nobody is forcing you to - but by the same token, you should make a realistic evaluation of what that personal information means. In many cases, it's already out there.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Someone was paid to support FB...wasnt he BV? ADMIT IT! You drank the Zucker-Aid! I see it all so clearly now...RM is FB enabled...you trying to talk me into staying on FB. How much $$ did it take to get to you? Where is Renegade Rick?

But seriously...how long til Zuckerman cashes out, and how long til they start censoring stuff? Didnt I see that Twitter has started already?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Used to have a FB account.... Don't anymore, its gone, never really put any personal info on it.... After couple months of using it I checked the personal info page on there...... Guess what, they filled it in for me, so even if you don't put your info in its already on the internet.

Its the way it is, welcome to a world of free information.

splat

Nam I am
I don't understand all the weeping and gnashing of teeth. It has been transparently evident for years that any organization that gets its hands on consumer and personal information is going to mine it. It used to happen when most information traffic was on paper, but was harder to do.

Don't like the applications? Turn them off. Don't want the word getting out? Don't say it. Just like deciding what to say to Officer Friendly.

If you wanted to write a 'bot to mine this web site, but why bother, they exist, you could probably get the goods on a large percentage of the registered users. The evolution of information technology has made it very difficult to be invisible anywhere. It's in some way analogous to global warming - we are as a species too dumb to decide to stop it, so we'll survive or not based on our ability to adapt.

The flip side is that the voice given to us by these communication tools has allowed us unwashed masses to shout down a number of governments and corporations - it has happened before to Facebook. Not sure where it'll go, but it's interesting.

couldn't have said it better.

As I tell my Kids , anything you put on the internet ( not just FB ) is there forever! so be very careful what you post.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
all they would get off my face book is im 18 live in hopkinton ma and i ride bikes alot....... for all i care they can have it and sell it to any one.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
the problem is that they're making money off my information, and i don't see a cent of it.
im fine with that honestly, its a free way for me to communicate with friends. don't get me wrong im not a face book fan boi but it seems like some thing that has become necessary for communication.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
Privacy issues on the internet only shows how egomaniac humans are. No one cares about "you".
"You" are usually a number put in a bucket.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've been told by a few friends that there is a Facebook account in my name. I either created it when I was completely hammered and never went on it, or I have someone who wishes desperately they were me. Both are equally plausible explanations.