Quantcast

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I have heard a lot about Facebook privacy issues but haven't though much about it. Until now. A couple of years ago I went out on a couple of dates with a girl in another city that I had met on Match.com. Over the last couple of weeks she has showed up on my "people you may know" list in Facebook. There is just no other way that connection could have been made unless Match is sharing info with Facebook. Creepy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I thought you were going to post this, new for 2/16/2009

All Your FaceBook Photos Are Belong to US: New Facebook TOS
Filed in Industry News on Feb.15, 2009

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, world wide license to your Pictures of You, Your Friends, Your Kids, and Your drunken photos.

In the latest change to the TOS of Facebook you now grant them rights to everything in your profile for forever.

Previously you only allowed limited use for as long as you had a profile, but now, it is for as long as they would like.

Take an Amazing photo of Barak Obama post it to Facebook, and they can sell it. Post a pic of your amazingly cute puppy, they could put it on Puppy Chow.

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Ever used your normal email address to email her? If her address is still some where in your contacts that will add her to the "people you may know" or mutual friends... Any of your friends know her?

Other wise it wouldnt surprise me if sites like match gave info out.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
I didn't even use facebook when I knew her.
I meant whatever email address you used to register with facebook. Is it the same email address you used back in the day when you were using match? If her email address is still in the contact info associated with that email address that is why shed be showing up in the people you might know.

Inquiring minds want to know... Does she look better now or better before?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have heard a lot about Facebook privacy issues but haven't though much about it. Until now. A couple of years ago I went out on a couple of dates with a girl in another city that I had met on Match.com. Over the last couple of weeks she has showed up on my "people you may know" list in Facebook. There is just no other way that connection could have been made unless Match is sharing info with Facebook. Creepy.
She probably shared her address book, and your name was buried down in the list.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
aha good to know. how do you know it was buried? :biggrin:
I'm just guessing.

When I joined facebook, I believe there was an option to search thru my Yahoo address book for people I know. I think I might have actually done it but I was still selective about who I invited.

As for up-to-date address books, it takes a bit of review to get rid of addresses.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, I virtually guarantee Match and Facebook aren't sharing information; there'd be an uprising. As sanjuro said, when you join it asks if you want to find contacts or she could use the "find people I know" utility and upload her address book or AIM screen names.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Yep, I virtually guarantee Match and Facebook aren't sharing information; there'd be an uprising. As sanjuro said, when you join it asks if you want to find contacts or she could use the "find people I know" utility and upload her address book or AIM screen names.
LIAR!! He's obviously one of them! Don't listen to him!! He's stealing our thoughts! CLEAR YOUR MINDS!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Seeing as though it is for networking with friends it would be kind of useless in your case anyway.
mmike would be the saddest facebook user. he'd have me and his brother as friends -- and that's if i were feeling generous. maybe his mother, too, if she's "hip" like that

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I deleted my account before I did an internship and about a year later I tried to open an all new account with a new e-mail address and my old account, just the way I left it the day I deleted it popped back up. Sort of made me uneasy that they kept all my info. Unfortunately it seems facebook has become so mainstream that it's almost necessary as a 22 year old, the shop I work at, relatives, long lost friends, future employers, and your Mom are all on facebook.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Terms of Use Update

A couple of weeks ago, we posted an update to our Terms of Use that we hoped would clarify some parts of it for our users. Over the past couple of days, we have received a lot of questions and comments about these updated terms and what they mean for people and their information. Because of the feedback we received, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised. For more information, visit the Facebook Blog.
The blog doesn't work...

I just saw this today on their site:

"Terms of Use Update
Over the past few days, we have received a lot of feedback about the new terms we posted two weeks ago. Because of this response, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised. For more information, visit the Facebook Blog.

If you want to share your thoughts on what should be in the new terms, check out our group Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities."

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a friend wants me to start one....problem is i really don't want to be found by anyone.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i've recently resorted to responding to a few friend requests with
"whatever memories i had of you weren't significant enough to rekindle any relationship whatsoever. suffice it to say, i'm still a dick after all these years, & that's all you need to know about me.

kindly return back to your first life"
suggestions for revision are appreciated

i believe it's my responsibility to be a profile in irony on a social networking site

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I had the same thing happen some one else mentioned. I had a facebook in college with the school's email. I signed up last fall using a different email, it had all my old info. I deactivated the account within 1/2 hour and uploaded no new information.

Freaking waste of time, its like volunteering to be stalked. All those online friends are a joke, my brother-in-law has all my real life friends as his on-line friends. Kinda funny really.