Quantcast

Facing an 83mm BB shell down to 73mm

jasontan

Chimp
Nov 14, 2008
Has anyone tried this? I have a round tube turner dhr with an 83mm bb shell that i was thinking of modifying to fit a shimano xt or similar crank on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one of the versions of the xt cranks actually has a long enough spindle that you can use it on an 83mm bb without modifying the frame. I wanna say it was the 3 ring version or something. a few people on the site have done it, hopefully one of them will chime in.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I haven't tried it, but a lot of bb shells are internally relieved, so there wouldn't be metal available to chase in new threads.

I ran xt cranks on my round tube turner, but I bought the 771 touring cranks with the longer spindle and did the modification to the cranks as Per the instructions I found on a website, can't remember which one, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Only complication was with the chainguide. I was limited to the gamut guide, but I'm sure if I spent more time I could've made a better guide work.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
one of the versions of the xt cranks actually has a long enough spindle that you can use it on an 83mm bb without modifying the frame. I wanna say it was the 3 ring version or something. a few people on the site have done it, hopefully one of them will chime in.
Shimano made a 3 ring 73mm XT Crank for touring bikes which would work with 83mm shells. If you do a search there should be info regarding how to setup these cranks with 83mm BB bikes.

I'm not sure if Shimano still makes this particular version of the XT crank since I believe it was a revision or two before the current model which is now out.

*edit*

Linky Here

Looks like they are still making these cranks. Not sure how hard they are to get, but you will notice via the PDF for them on the website that these cranks have a longer spindle and spacers which the normal XT does not have.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shimano made a 3 ring 73mm XT Crank for touring bikes which would work with 83mm shells. If you do a search there should be info regarding how to setup these cranks with 83mm BB bikes.

I'm not sure if Shimano still makes this particular version of the XT crank since I believe it was a revision or two before the current model which is now out.
^^^that's it. Thanks :thumb:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, the version of the XT crank that works has a wider q-factor than the normal one. No idea if it's enough wider or not though.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I don't know what the fuss is, it's an easy mod. All you have to do is find the correct style of XT cranks and you're all good.