Quantcast

Facking Ford!!!!!grrrr!!!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, this morning is employee only day at Grand Targhee, and I have an invite. Wake up it is PUKING, gonna be an awesome powder day, with only about a hundred other people....stoked! Last day of lift served for the year!
Get in the truck, fire her up, try to put her in reverse, and the shift lever SNAPS OFF OF THE CLUTCH!!!
Too far to hitchike, here I sit, pissed and posting. This truck...anyone want a 99' F250 extended cab extended bed?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I've got a '99 Ranger and just dropped $1500 in repairs a couple of weeks ago. I doubt I would have had these issues if I were driving a Toyota (as I originally wanted).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
macko said:
I've got a '99 Ranger and just dropped $1500 in repairs a couple of weeks ago. I doubt I would have had these issues if I were driving a Toyota (as I originally wanted).
You *might* have those kind of repairs if the Toyota was 20 years old with 1/2 million miles on it.

Actually, you probably wouldn't even then. :D

J

JRB

What do you mean snapped off the clutch??? I thought the shift lever attached to the transmission.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
How's living in Driggs? There any good non-smokey bars/pubs there?

J

JRB

rideit said:
Yeah, tranny, what the **** ever. GRRRRR.
Like you pulled the shifter completely off??? How friggin' hard to you rip on the shifter??? I couldn't even pull the knob off like some people do on any of the Fords I drove.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
BeerDemon said:
How's living in Driggs? There any good non-smokey bars/pubs there?
IT ROCKS here, in a small mountain town with a few thousand miles of singletrack and the best snow in the country kind of way. ALL of the pubs/restaurants/bars are smoke free (there are now 7 or so), so that is killer. I actually live in Victor, at the base of the pass, but whatever. C'mon out and visit!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
rideit said:
IT ROCKS here, in a small mountain town with a few thousand miles of singletrack and the best snow in the country kind of way. ALL of the pubs/restaurants/bars are smoke free (there are now 7 or so), so that is killer. I actually live in Victor, at the base of the pass, but whatever. C'mon out and visit!
I haven't been to Victor. That place any good?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
BeerDemon said:
I haven't been to Victor. That place any good?
It is really all the same, Victor/Driggs. Same small valley. I am 8.5 miles to the top of teton pass (DH, Backcountry skiing), 24 miles to Targhee, 24 miles to Teton Village, and 20 miles to Jackson Hole, so it is a great location.

J

JRB

rideit said:
It is really all the same, Victor/Driggs. Same small valley. I am 8.5 miles to the top of teton pass (DH, Backcountry skiing), 24 miles to Targhee, 24 miles to Teton Village, and 20 miles to Jackson Hole, so it is a great location.
It'd be more great if you hadn't ripped the shifter off, huh???

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My Mazda B3000 / Ranger clone has 210,000+ miles and has never needed major repairs. She runs a little slower than she used to (losing compression and HP after 200K miles, imagine that?) but that's it. I can't complain.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I did something similar in my VW bus. I stepped on the clutch to start it and heard a twang-snap sound, and suddenly the clutch pedal goes limp. Snapped cluch cable. Apparently there's a little bump somewhere along the cluch cable's journey from pedal to tranny, and it wears it down so it snaps every few years. But this car is 40 years old and has ~500k miles on it, so stuff goes wrong.

But yeah, should have gotten a Toyota. You have to love Japanese cars. Our Honda got around 270k miles before the engine had to be replaced, and it would have gone another few hundred k if the axle and carburator had been fixed. They go forever. I'd only mess with something American if I had to haul something big.