Quantcast

Faction 22"

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hi All,
well I went and did it.
After much deliberation and help from a lot of people on here I have bought myself a Faction 22" Zeitgeist.
Attached are some early piccies (taken with crappy phone, so will update at a later stage).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40464303@N08/

I have kept with the black colour and have put the following parts on it:
Odyssey convertble seat post & railed seat - I'm old school you know.
Odyssey Mr clampy 2 seat clamp
Odyssey EVO 2 back brake (not pictured - I only just fitted it)
Odyssey Jim Cielenki sealed aluminium pedals
Sunday Tall T bars
WTP stem
WTP rhombus grips

My first impressions:
Despite appearances, this is a BIG bike. Make no mistake. The cockpit size is bigger than on my 24" DMR transition. Yet, it is much easier to manouver than my 24".
As a soon to be 39 year old who is over 6 foot tall, this feels great to ride on.
Best Regards
Ian

Last edited:

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Full disclosure... I'm a team rider for Faction... That being said, I love the 22" wheel. Straight up trail slaying machine. I have the new Amero frame and fork on it's way as we speak. I'll post up pics as soon as I get her built. Welcome to the club!

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
In that case....any suggestions wrt a new crank?
I was thinking maybe the odyssey twombolt?
Any other ideas?
How does the Amero differ?

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
In that case....any suggestions wrt a new crank?
I was thinking maybe the odyssey twombolt?
Any other ideas?
How does the Amero differ?
The Amero has a longer front end, higher bb and has super short chainstays and weighs 4.75lbs. As far as cranks go... cranks are cranks IMO. I'm running some cheap Eastern 720's and they are bombproof.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Damn it!
I just got a tree load of thorns in my front tyre.
Can I run a 20" inner tube in the 22"?
I spoke with the guys at Faction and they said this is what they ae doing - anyone else doing this with their faction?

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
How is that Faction treating you ik? I'm seriously thinking about one of these now, especially with the good deal they are offering. Was wondering about the quality of the spec though. Might be quite a bit of up-grading to do. And tyre and tube avalabilty the other issue. Any feedback appreciated.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
How is that Faction treating you ik? I'm seriously thinking about one of these now, especially with the good deal they are offering. Was wondering about the quality of the spec though. Might be quite a bit of up-grading to do. And tyre and tube avalabilty the other issue. Any feedback appreciated.
the faction zeitgeist is spec'd solid (i.e. heavy duty, with 14mm front and rear axles, etc.)--nothing about it you would need to change for strength's sake . . . but if you wanted to lighten it up a bit, or just change stuff for fun or to your liking, then you could. as for the tire issue, you could just order extra tires to last you a while.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
The stock bike is good to go in it's own right. For £275 it's unbelievable value.
I wanted bigger bars though as I like the feel of them.
All the stuff I have listed is just my personal choice and to be honest I went a wee bit mad - like I was a kid again - though none of it was necessary.
I bought extra tyres too - if you e-mail them they will send to you direct as they are keeping final stock for existing customers. They are close to bringing out a new frame wheel set and new tyres soon so I don't see any worries wrt tyres or other stuff in the future.
So far no problems or breaks though I haven't done anything big on it other than put my 200lb 6'3" body on it!
I fell off and scratched my new bars ( I could have cried) but that's about it.
Oh and 20" inner tube fits no problem at all so you'll have plenty of choice there too.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah. I got mine now. Quick test ride today. Not blown away, but I think it's gonna grow on me. A lot. Just strange coming from a cruiser and after reading so much about it. At first it didn't feel that big to me. Actually, the bars feel tiny, which is strange because they are the same size as on my cruiser. It feels shorter than my cruiser ( which was 21.5) but I have the feeling I wanted which is to be more over the top of the bike. In fact it's true, it does feel like a bmx that I remember riding from all those years ago ( back in the eighties).
I'd really like to lose a couple of pounds on it. I'm shopping right away for new bars. Can't decide 8 or 8.25. The seat and post are horrible, but like iksmudge I'm old school so looking at something railed.
What's interesting is that I don't feel I have to have the seat right down like on my cruiser, and with the seat just at medium height it's comfortable enough to cruise about on. The bike feels tall rather than long in the sense of being big. It's got that cruiser aspect I was hoping for - i can imagine riding around on it without it looking like a kids bike or "What's that old guy doing on a bmx"
Any other suggestions how to lighten it up a bit? Is there a 22 inches of love thread? Could be cool. Wondering now, all black or throw in some colour.
I reckon I'm being a bit hard on it. Only been for a quick spin before it started raining - and got to get used to it. Looking forward to that.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah - bars too small for me too on the stock bike. I put some Sunday tall-t's on mine (8.75 rise)- what a difference they make.
Agree with the height feel, with bigger bars the bike will feel longer too.
It's weird how it reminds you of being a kid again on a bmx!, without you looking like an idiot!
It is also true that it feels way more stable in the air than a 20", yet feels like you're cruising when out on the streets.
The stock seat and cranks are where you can save some weight too.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
8.75. Wow! I think you are taller than me though. I'm 5'11. I'm debating between the 8's and 8.25's. Did you get your cranks sorted in the end ik ?
Oh yeah. And the tyres are much better than I thought. I like 'em actually. The frame and wheels look tough.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . . . Actually, the bars feel tiny, which is strange because they are the same size as on my cruiser. . . . .
Any other suggestions how to lighten it up a bit? Is there a 22 inches of love thread? Could be cool. .. . . .
Go for some classic 8" or 8.25" rise X 28" or 29" wide bars. Like S&M, Metal, FBM, Deluxe--there are tons to choose from. You willl not regret. It will make an immediate difference.

http://www.sourcebmx.com/product/handlebars/deluxe-bmx-xl-bars/5075.shtml

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
8.75. Wow! I think you are taller than me though. I'm 5'11. I'm debating between the 8's and 8.25's. Did you get your cranks sorted in the end ik ?
Oh yeah. And the tyres are much better than I thought. I like 'em actually. The frame and wheels look tough.
You could try Sunday victory bars (8.32" rise).
Decided to stay with stock crank and took time to fiddle and tighten properly!
Yeah, I like the Tyres too. I've heard some complain about them but like you I don't see what the issue is. They are high quality with nice tread for trail and street - perfect in my book.
Debating on going to a half link chain to enable me to move back wheel forward but tbh, not sure if it's worth bothering with.
Later next year may change to the Amero frame but would need to think how to sneak it past the wife! Or if the back wheel is too slammed for my liking.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I was wondering about the half link too. Rear end is a little long. Then again can only move it a little before the wheel will hit the brake calipers. I'd like to change the gearing too. Too hard for me.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a lower gear ratio. I wonder if I went one tooth up in the back if I could keep the same chain?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I was wondering about the half link too. Rear end is a little long. Then again can only move it a little before the wheel will hit the brake calipers. I'd like to change the gearing too. Too hard for me.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a lower gear ratio. I wonder if I went one tooth up in the back if I could keep the same chain?
yeah it comes with 25/9, which it typical for 20" wheels (55.5 gear inches). if you switch to 25/10 it will be exactly 55 gear inches. that'll also pull your wheel up a little.

22" BMX... Did I miss it??
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212868&highlight=faction

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Cool. Thanks cmc. Do you know what that particular sprocket is called, so that I can order it on the internet. And if I need a special tool to remove it.
Had a good ride today. I'm really starting to dig this bike. Little squirelly in the air at first after the 24, but I think i am gettting higher already.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Cool. Thanks cmc. Do you know what that particular sprocket is called, so that I can order it on the internet. And if I need a special tool to remove it.
. . . .
i don't know if the Quando cassette hub 9t driver is switchable with other brand cassette hub drivers and cogs. probably. since most bmx stuff is made in taiwan now anyway. i have heard that several bmx brand name hubs are made by the same people that make Quando.

here's a 20" wheelset with the same hub as on the Faction....
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-BMX-Wheels-Weinmann-Amazon-Rims-Quando-Hubs-PURPLE-/300481548773?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item45f61891e5

so try your local shop that carries bmx.

i personally like the slightly stouter gearing on the zeitgeist. you just go faster ! that in itself has become a trend in bmx lately. dudes running 28-9 and 30-9 just to haul ass. and when you fakie at high speed you don't have to turn your cranks as fast.

definitely switch the handlebars though. the taller bar will make the front end pull up easier (then you may not need to mess with the chain length) and wider grips will add to feeling of stability.

Last edited:

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah. I reckon I could get used to the gearing. I read on another 22 thread that you have settled on the 8's for the faction after trying slightly larger bars. I wondered how tall you were. I'm 5'11 and can't decide between some 8 x 27.5's or 8.2 x 29's
I'm veering towards the 8's and riding today, the stock bars didn't feel so narrow anymore. Doesn't seem to be room for a spacer on the stem so want to get it right

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah. I reckon I could get used to the gearing. I read on another 22 thread that you have settled on the 8's for the faction after trying slightly larger bars. I wondered how tall you were. I'm 5'11 and can't decide between some 8 x 27.5's or 8.2 x 29's
I'm veering towards the 8's and riding today, the stock bars didn't feel so narrow anymore. Doesn't seem to be room for a spacer on the stem so want to get it right
With my 8.75 bars I also have a WTP supreme stem - this is only 48 mm in length but drops the bars 0.5". The upsweep though is at 4 deg not the usual 2. I'm 6'2" with Long arms and 34" inch inside legs.
I reckon go for 8.2 ish then if too high you can play games with spacers and or stems to get it perfect. Wider bars can always be cut down too.