Quantcast

Fair & Balanced reporting: NPR & PBS?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from Program on International Policy Attitudes (at PIPA.org), they have "researched" the american public on international issues. Specifically, the war in Iraq & reporting in the media. (hat-tip: WSJ)

full article is here (pdf).

The real meat starts on page 14, after 11 pages of setup.

If you think this study is skewed, or if spot-on, please comment.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good stuff,

Just skimmed it, will read in detail later.

But the question must be asked. Are the networks trying to deceive the public, or are the network viewers just stupid?:D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Westy
Good stuff,

Just skimmed it, will read in detail later.

But the question must be asked. Are the networks trying to deceive the public, or are the network viewers just stupid?:D
To answer your question, I'd say a little from column A and a little from column B.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Silver
To answer your question, I'd say a little from column A and a little from column B.
Well network news is infotainment not news anyway. People who want to know the facts probably look elsewhere. People who want to be entertained and feel good about themselves click on the boob tube.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
POLL ANALYSES
October 8, 2003

Are the News Media Too Liberal?
Forty-five percent of Americans say yes

by Frank Newport and Joseph Carroll
GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- Forty-five percent of Americans believe the news media in this country are too liberal, while only 14% say the news media are too conservative. These perceptions of liberal inclination have not changed over the last three years. A majority of Americans who describe their political views as conservative perceive liberal leanings in the media, while only about a third of self-described liberals perceive conservative leanings.

Click the icon for more:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by N8

Are the News Media Too Liberal?
Forty-five percent of Americans say yes

by Frank Newport and Joseph Carroll
GALLUP NEWS SERVICE
What does that have to do with the above report?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I just skimmed the report, mostly from page 14 and on.

I found it interesting the report used phrases like "widely understood by the intelligence community as fallaicous (sp?)", but what I found even more intersting than that was they cited no source (that I could find) for this "widely held understanding". There was nothing from the CIA, FBI, British, or any other foreign intel service used as the basis for those assumptions (that the paper makes with the questions they asked the news viewers).

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i think we've kicked this around long enough.

peep this:

Here are some demonstrable untruths the survey didn't ask its subjects about:
  • President Bush said Iraq posed an "imminent" threat.
  • Bush claimed Iraq had bought uranium from Niger.
  • America's intervention in Iraq was unilateral.
Would not a fair survey have included examples of the misperceptions on both sides?:confused:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by $tinkle
i think we've kicked this around long enough.

peep this:

Here are some demonstrable untruths the survey didn't ask its subjects about:
  • President Bush said Iraq posed an "imminent" threat.
  • Bush claimed Iraq had bought uranium from Niger.
  • America's intervention in Iraq was unilateral.
Would not a fair survey have included examples of the misperceptions on both sides?:confused:

...and not to mention hindsite is always 20/20...

:p

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Hmm, the article looks interesting. I'll take it home and give it a good, critical read.

Of course, I may be biased, because it appears that I'm in the group that is least likely to hold misconceptions. [insert smug smile here]

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If I am in the mood for a fight and want to see someone trashed I watch FOX News. If I want a more in depth reporting I always turn to the News Hour. Being an NPR junkie I would say that many PBS type broadcasts have a liberal leaning. Thats said... many of the conservative talking heads got their start on PBS.

Firing Line was a staple well before FOX News even existed - William F Buckley, however, was in no way bombastic. He would try to persuade, 'educate' and always showed his guest courtesy and respect.

The McGaughlin (spelling) Report as it was aired in the mid 1980's had a definate and unhidden right wing view point. Robert Novak and Freddy "the Beetle" Barnes both had their talking head debuts on PBS.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I was always a fan of Buckley. Where is he now?

I can't take too much of NPR. It just frickin annoys me. The self absorbtion of some of the announcers, the vingettes (sp?), the radio documentery format of many of the reports. Ugh, drives me nuts.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Damn True
I was always a fan of Buckley. Where is he now?

I can't take too much of NPR. It just frickin annoys me. The self absorbtion of some of the announcers, the vingettes (sp?), the radio documentery format of many of the reports. Ugh, drives me nuts.
Beats Fox news hands down any day as far as annoying news presentation.

But yeah, it's all lies and BS from both sides. All this liberal vs. conservative crap, it's all lies.

Stay asleep people, stay asleep.