Quantcast

fall guy re-build??

standard125r

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
i've been riding a molly for a while just as a change,

but try as i might i couldnt bring myself to part with my mk1 tonic fab fall guy,

having it sat around makes no sense so the molly has gone to her new owner, (great frame though tbh)

i'm left with the fg frame and sherman jumper fork,

any suggestions for a PERFECT fall guy build?
cranks,stem,brake, bars etc,etc,

thanks for any help in advance, lol,

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
cranks: deity w/ ti or profile magnatanium
post: pivotal w/ nem pro or macneil seat or thomsom masterpiece with seat of your choice
sproket: whatever fits your needs, grey deity would look dope on there
bars: nem pro weezy bars for the low front end
stem: whatever floats your boat
brake: colony lever, ody linear, fly brake in some crazy color to stand out, knight hanger
tires: khe rear, tabletop front

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
You're asking us?! Seeing pic of your other stuff, it should be the other way around.

But if you have to ask - I'd say take your Standard build in the other thread and model it off of that.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think the ultimate setup for bars/stems are the thompson 25.4 and a diety riser to match so clean and the diety bend is the best i have ever encountered that is just my $.02

Some other nice bits IMO...

Fly Ruben Pedals if you are into that design doesnt get much better
KHE Tires are pretty trick
Fly Rubber Bar Plugs are the most under rated thing out there and like $2.99
Odyssey Jr. Saddle in black (dont buy into the billion color thing)
Thompson seatpost clamp (when available) i know i will have them on all my bikes

Email Landon over at tonic fab about rims, he put up some mention of old school light mavic stuff that would be crazy trick for the 'Ultimate' build.

As for cranks huge fan of the profile setups, Eric is awesome at diety and I am a true fan of the stuff but I am still a bit old school in my crank preference ti/profile is the jam.

hope that helps, everyone has a different approach but that is mine, low pro and clean.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
It depends if he runs 22.2 or 31.8 clamp. I've heard stories after researching ofthe 22.2 bmx stem twisting and not tightening enough.
they should put 6 bolts on the steerer too :imstupid:

seriously, model it after 1 of your 20" builds, sick!

or check my sig for ideas, haha wink wink nudge nudge

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
It depends if he runs 22.2 or 31.8 clamp. I've heard stories after researching ofthe 22.2 bmx stem twisting and not tightening enough.
wait, seriously?

I just got one for my satellite build :disgust:

Thomson stuff is usually top quality so I just assumed

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
they should put 6 bolts on the steerer too :imstupid:

seriously, model it after 1 of your 20" builds, sick!

or check my sig for ideas, haha wink wink nudge nudge
Yeah, check out Stoked's FallGuy. Most dialed FG I've seen pics of.

Regarding the bars and stem. You're an OS BMX'er get some of the dope 7/8" (that's 22.2 for you new school mtb'ers :) ) bars on the market so you can run a proper stem. NemPro's, USB (when they drop), Solid (if they have any more) or NS.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I'm glad you enjoyed your Fall Guy so much.

Have yet to see a full Shimano DXR Fall Guy....that would be nice.

Otherwise...you've got nearly everything you need already! Looking at your other bikes, I feel a little silly offering "build advice", but here it goes...

Thomson / Profile builds are not uncomon, and with good reason.

Profile cranks..Profile's new hollow steel spindle is available if you don't have the cheddar for Ti. Nearly the same weight.

Zero experience with steel bars, so I can't comment on the Thomson BMX stem. Thomson's design / testing /execution / company culture means a genuine problem would not go un-addressed.

That said, swaping to a butted aluminum bar like a Gravity Lite with a Thomson 31.8 stem would be a place to save some weight.

Tree Slined Sprocket. Those seem cool.

As for wheels, Arrow XCL's look like a good choice if you are more of a pinner than a caser.

The new Odyssey Senior saddle looks bang-on.

So many tire options now too. I've been using the Intense Micro knobby on the rear with a Primo Dirt Monster on the front. Good combo. The KHE's / Schwalbe's are also very nice. Narrower tires are really working for me know though.

Atomlab GI pedals are large and affordable.

And..these are still available. Jive Handles.

-L

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I got a pair of 26 inch mtx's and i through the back one out of true..
Then you're wheelbuild must of SUCKED. I'm running on singletracks and learning 180's. I weigh 190 and SUCK horribly, yet I havent even had to true my wheels yet.

Learn to build a good wheel, and you can run on "****ty" rims for a long time.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
Then you're wheelbuild must of SUCKED. I'm running on singletracks and learning 180's. I weigh 190 and SUCK horribly, yet I havent even had to true my wheels yet.

Learn to build a good wheel, and you can run on "****ty" rims for a long time.
No my wheel builder has been building wheels for 20 years and works on Jeff Lenosky's bike...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
No my wheel builder has been building wheels for 20 years and works on Jeff Lenosky's bike...
Then proceeds this question...

what the FVCK did you do to your bike....

I think most anyone can vouch and MTX's are damn strong. If you're messin up those wheels with this supposed Jeff Lenosky mechanic building them, then you need to look at the beefiest of beef

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
Then proceeds this question...

what the FVCK did you do to your bike....

I think most anyone can vouch and MTX's are damn strong. If you're messin up those wheels with this supposed Jeff Lenosky mechanic building them, then you need to look at the beefiest of beef
Actally, idk if it was me it might have been my friend. But anyway im prolly going to get the pimp lights for my fall guy build, Im going to call it sherbert

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I have a Pimp lite on the back with an arrow FRX on the front of my FG. They have been flawless through the last few months of riding (and casing) trails, riding parks, and street (but that could be my mechanics skills :-)).