Quantcast

Fall means BEER!!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Mackie said:
If you are looking for a taste to indicate fall (other than a little extra malt) in an Oktoberfest, you are looking in the wrong place. :confused:
Putting any flavoring in beer other than hops is verboten in Germany, particulalrly in something as traditional as an Oktoberfest beer.
Although I hear that they are thinking about 86ing the "purity law" b/c it is limiting the number of styles that they can make. Brewers are getting bold and adding some non traditional items that are actually GOOD. Not like a pumpkin, but more subtle...

For example, I had a GREAT belgain a while back that used dandilion instead of hops for bittering.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
The Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is drrrrrrreamy. I've only had it at the actual brewery, though. I've been telling myself I'm not allowed to buy it bottled at the store until October... so thanks for reminding me I owe myself a treat!:)
i had some a couple of weeks ago and it was good, better than the Shipyard or Smuttynose offerings. i also had a pint of the pumpkinhead ale @ boston beer works and i always enjoy that one.

btw, my local had 4 paks of Dogfish's 120 min IPA. i've had this in a pint and it's way overkill, so i wasn't gonna get a bottle but the nutty thing was the price: $10 for ONE BOTTLE. yowza.