Quantcast

fall northeast DH trip

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my buddies and I are trying to plan a DH trip for this fall, Sept 30-Oct 9, and we are trying to get the schedule down. its been a bit tricky since most places arent open during the week that late in the year except for Killington.

we were thinking Attitash on Saturday, Highland on Sunday, Killington during the week and ending at Platty for the Oct 8-9 race. our problem is what to do and where to go during the week. is 3-5 days at Killington way too much?? are there any other places we could hit during the week that i forgot about?

my friend has a nice 50' or so Class A motorhome and a trailer for our gear so lodging isnt a issue.

idears?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
my buddies and I are trying to plan a DH trip for this fall, Sept 30-Oct 9, and we are trying to get the schedule down. its been a bit tricky since most places arent open during the week that late in the year except for Killington.

we were thinking Attitash on Saturday, Highland on Sunday, Killington during the week and ending at Platty for the Oct 8-9 race. our problem is what to do and where to go during the week. is 3-5 days at Killington way too much?? are there any other places we could hit during the week that i forgot about?

my friend has a nice 50' or so Class A motorhome and a trailer for our gear so lodging isnt a issue.

idears?
kingdom and shuttle the mountain a few times?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
3-5 days at Killington is a lot. There's some fun stuff there so it's worth going to for sure but it's not my favorite mountain, at times it feels like you spend all your time traversing across it to get to the good stuff. Granted I haven't been in a couple years either, so maybe it's gotten better. If bringing more bikes isn't too big a deal I think I'd be inclined to go with woodsguy's suggestion and do an XC ride or two midweek. I'll be in CA then but could suggest some places to ride and maybe even find y'all some tour guides depending on timing and locations.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, most of us didnt want to do that many days at Killington. from what i heard, one day is more than enough for that place but we'd still be down to ride for a couple of days to help make use of the week. XC might be a option but i dont think everyone going has a XC bike (me included.)

we were thinking of doing other things during the week besides riding like heading over to Mt Washington..i havent been to the area since i went to school there too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man, that's tough. That late in the season most things are only open during the weekend. Jiminy may be an option- I've heard rumor that some locals have revamped trail maintenance and it no longer sucks so hard. Otherwise I think you're SOL.

IMO, Killington isn't worth more than a day. Plenty of people will disagree, but after riding places like plattekill, it won't hold a candle. There are a few pretty crazy trails that head straight down the mountain, and you can piece together other decent runs, but outside of those two trails, you really could get away with a 5" trail bike.

Let me know how things settle. I'd love to try and meet up for highland or attitash at least.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Sunday River is some good ****! May be out of the way but it is worth the drive.

Attitash can't be more than 1.5 hours from Sunday River.

I will hopefully be at Sunday River on Sunday, hopefully I can get a day in at Attitash while I am in the area.