Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
blah blah blah

The stainless steel band that goes around the phone is an antenna system, while also providing the main structure of the phone, though it's plugged into the same old GSM / UMTS radio you all know and love -- there's a reason they didn't call it the iPhone 4G. There's also of course that front facing camera we were all anticipating, a rear camera with LED flash, and a new high resolution display that doubles the pixels in each direction (960 x 640) for a 4X overall pixel count increase -- Apple calls it a "Retina Display." It's rated at 326ppi, which Apple claims is beyond the human eye's limit of distinction. Check out an example of the new screen up against the iPhone 3G after the break. Similar to the iPad it's an IPS display, with 800:1 contrast. Naturally, it's still the same old 3.5-inch. Under the hood is the A4 processor that runs the iPad. Despite the new engine (and the 25% thinner chassis), Apple managed to make the battery slightly larger, and the new handset is rated at 7 hours of 3G talk, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of WiFi browsing, 10 hours of video, and 40 hours of music. Oh, and that WiFi? It's 802.11n now. The camera has been bumped to 5 megapixels, with 5X digital zoom and a "backside illuminated sensor," which now can also record HD video at 720p / 30fps.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-announced/
liveblog:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/steve-jobs-live-from-wwdc-2010/

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
My pre order will be in on June 15th. Very excited for this one. It is time to replace my 3G.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'm waiting for a evo 4G....they were out when i went to get one.....no more unlimited contracts with the iphone.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
No mention during Jobs' keynote about whether or not iPhone 4 can make phone calls.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i'm waiting for a evo 4G....they were out when i went to get one.....no more unlimited contracts with the iphone.
small comparison:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-vs-evo-4g-fight/

if the Evo 4G had a keyboard id be all over it
No mention during Jobs' keynote about whether or not iPhone 4 can make phone calls.
they dropped the unlimited data plan to help with people who actually want to use their phones as a phone
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/atandt-makes-sweeping-changes-to-data-plans-iphone-tethering-comi/

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
definitely like the new look. features look spot on.
if it came to verizon, maaaybe id consider it.

Evo 4G has the edge still i think. 4G internet speed(in certain areas) and wifi hotspot. AND better plans from sprint.

too bad im stuck with verizon and my blackberry for another year.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
engadget really just needs to change to apple.com already
agreed. i switched over to gizmodo because of that, but now they're succumbing to fanboyism too.

i enjoy apple products, i use a macbook pro...but when the front page is nothing but apple/iphone posts, its too much.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
agreed. i switched over to gizmodo because of that, but now they're succumbing to fanboyism too.

i enjoy apple products, i use a macbook pro...but when the front page is nothing but apple/iphone posts, its too much.
every day has multiple products related to it and or theres daily "news" about their products.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just some food for thought...

I can see the value in adding a basic movie editor. Even an ebook reader - to a certain degree (I don't think it will become a primary reader for people, screen is just too small). Netflix on your phone is cool and all*, but who is seriously gonna watch a whole movie on a sub 4" screen? Or even a whole tv show? If I have that kind of time, I'd much rather watch it on an actual tv screen.

At what point is it going to get gimmicky? Garage band on your iPhone? This is a phone people, not a work station. Draw the line somewhere. I'm calling it now, software is going to make the iPhone jump the shark.

*not even gonna touch on AT&T's bandwidth issues

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
who is seriously gonna watch a whole movie on a sub 4" screen? Or even a whole tv show?
I fly every 3 or 4 weeks for work and I watch movies on my phone every time cause usually the inflight movies are some lame-ass chick flick. My gfriend takes the commuter rail to work every day and frequently watches TV shows on it on her 45 minute commute.

....so yes, there ARE people outside of your bubble that will use that function quite frequently. :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A4 in iPad/iPhone 4, not exclusive - a Samsung ARM product Jobs sugar coated (as usual with many "exclusive" Apple features):

UBM TechInsights Verifies That the Samsung Wave S8500 [and Samsung Galaxy S] Features the Same ARM Core as the Apple iPad [and iPhone 4]

"By investigating the Samsung S5PC110A01 application processor and comparing it to the A4 application processor found in the Apple iPad using our specialized lab techniques, we were able to confirm that not only is Samsung the manufacturer of both application processors, but both application processors feature the same 1 GHz ARM CORTEX A8 core manufactured using a 45-nanometer low-power fabrication process," said Young Choi, Senior Manager of the Technical Intelligence Group. "With this find, we begin to see how Samsung is successfully asserting itself as the leader in the wireless and mobile applications processor market."

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I fly every 3 or 4 weeks for work and I watch movies on my phone every time cause usually the inflight movies are some lame-ass chick flick. My gfriend takes the commuter rail to work every day and frequently watches TV shows on it on her 45 minute commute.

....so yes, there ARE people outside of your bubble that will use that function quite frequently. :)
i have on a ipod classic when flying.
you chumps are obviously flying coach.

also: wifi is just now starting to roll out for inflight use, so you won't be able to use netflix on every flight just yet

Last edited:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I love my 3GS. I have never had a problem with dropped calls or anything either. Needless to say the iPhone 4 is one sweet phone.

My contract wont end until April of 2011, by then Ill just wait for iPhone 5. I think I can manage until then. The only thing thats on iPhone 4 that I would want is the HD video. Everything else is icing on the cake. I just want OS 4, I was annoyed they didn't release it yesterday.