Quantcast

Fancy Schmancy 6-Pack

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
One of our buddies just bought this 6 Pack from us, I thought some of the monkeys might enjoy some eye candy. I'll have to get a picture of the other side of the bike so you can see the red brake piston pots and some of the other shenanigans going on.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
You bunch of weiners and your monochromatic bikes. Remember when EVERYTHING made of aluminum on chromo hardtails was matching ano? And it wasn't even red, it was like purple or baby blue. Color is the new black. :blah:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I would have gone with Ano Blue to match the fittings on the Fox DHX. Nice bikey.

What's it weigh? MSRP?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea i would have gone with blue. but i'd still take it in red. very nice setup guys

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
James | Go-Ride said:
You bunch of weiners and your monochromatic bikes. Remember when EVERYTHING made of aluminum on chromo hardtails was matching ano? And it wasn't even red, it was like purple or baby blue. Color is the new black. :blah:
you have to say that ;)... nevermind me... i m just pissed cause my arm / wrist is STILL IN A FRACKING CAST....

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I would have gone with Ano Blue to match the fittings on the Fox DHX. Nice bikey.

What's it weigh? MSRP?
Yeah, I think I would have done blue as well, but the guy wanted red. The fork and shock have red knobs on them also, so it still ties. The bike is 30.5 pounds with pedals. That pic was taken before we straightened and shortened the front brake line.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
SWEET bike, man. I'm glad everyone's finally seeing the light of how sick a 6" x 6" air-sprung bike can be - I've had my Bullit built up like that for 4 years(!), and it's been the most versatile bike I've ever owned.

The thing I still don't understand, though, is why people don't automatically put a 2-ring chainguide on a bike once you get past 5" of travel. Unless you're doing some serious road riding, that 44T is more or less useless, and with that much suspension, you're going to want to be bombing down some nasty terrain. Considering all the good 2-ring guides on the market (ours, Blackspire, MRP, Truvativ, etc.) and what a difference they can make in the way you use a bike, it seems like a no-brainer.

Anyway, that's still an awesome-looking bike.

--John P.
e13

P.S. Of course, he'd have a hell of a time finding a bashguard to fit up to those crazy XTR cranks, but there are tons of other 4-104 cranks out there that are plenty light and work great.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
John P. said:
SWEET bike, man. I'm glad everyone's finally seeing the light of how sick a 6" x 6" air-sprung bike can be - I've had my Bullit built up like that for 4 years(!), and it's been the most versatile bike I've ever owned.

The thing I still don't understand, though, is why people don't automatically put a 2-ring chainguide on a bike once you get past 5" of travel. Unless you're doing some serious road riding, that 44T is more or less useless, and with that much suspension, you're going to want to be bombing down some nasty terrain. Considering all the good 2-ring guides on the market (ours, Blackspire, MRP, Truvativ, etc.) and what a difference they can make in the way you use a bike, it seems like a no-brainer.

Anyway, that's still an awesome-looking bike.

--John P.
e13

P.S. Of course, he'd have a hell of a time finding a bashguard to fit up to those crazy XTR cranks, but there are tons of other 4-104 cranks out there that are plenty light and work great.
Yeah, we usually recommend a 2-ring guide on most bikes at or above 6". I don't know that I'd put one on an FXR or a 575, but once you get into a more FR oriented bike, it makes a lot of sense.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the red ano top caps on the hope levers is just to weird for me. the levers look good. but the top of the resi is just weird

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I have a DRS 2 ring guide on my ASX, but on the 575 i am actually liking the 3rd ring.I ride it to work,on 30+ mile xc rides,etc.The noise and slight drag gets annoying and i need the big ring.Also it adds about a pound instantly(i have a home made light bashring though)

This is his XC bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That is blinging all over the place, but yeah I was thinking it needs a guide too. To each his own, but until they make the rings a "standard" size I am done with XTR cranks, they are really sweet but those rings are stupidly expensive - and with no bash guard they may need replacing more often! I guess $$ is no object for some but it's still ridiculous.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thats awesome. I'd run a 26-36 and it would be dialed for me. I have a 6" frame that I have been riding, same shock, DT wheels, El Camino 7"ers and the 26-36, it just rules.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
dw said:
Thats awesome. I'd run a 26-36 and it would be dialed for me. I have a 6" frame that I have been riding, same shock, DT wheels, El Camino 7"ers and the 26-36, it just rules.
Look at you, always dropping subtle hints about products you have that we can't! ;)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Bulldog said:
Look at you, always dropping subtle hints about products you have that we can't! ;)
hey, how do you know I didn't borrow John P's Bullit?!!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
dw said:
hey, how do you know I didn't borrow John P's Bullit?!!
Just a hunch. :) Can't see Captain Suspension Nirvana riding a simple single pivot. More likely riding a proto '07 Ironhorse dw-link bike!

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Bulldog said:
Just a hunch. :) Can't see Captain Suspension Nirvana riding a simple single pivot. More likely riding a proto '07 Ironhorse dw-link bike!
yea he quoted the name of it in a thread i started.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Bulldog said:
Well, whatever the bike, I am full on board and in the engine with the 6" front and rear trailbike train. John P called it about 4 years ago. What a blast.

Sep 10, 2001
Damn... I am off the back... My trail bike only has 5in front and rear... 3 chain rings too....

But my next 2 projects will require the use of a DRS on them...

Brian

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
dw said:
Well, whatever the bike, I am full on board and in the engine with the 6" front and rear trailbike train. John P called it about 4 years ago. What a blast.
Been riding 6x6 this year, was 5x6 the year before that and 5x5 before that. Next year will be 7x7. Seems to be a natural progression. BTW - all with the same frame! :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
James | Go-Ride said:
Yeah, we usually recommend a 2-ring guide on most bikes at or above 6". I don't know that I'd put one on an FXR or a 575, but once you get into a more FR oriented bike, it makes a lot of sense.
I never had one on my RM DH, Azonic Saber, FXR, or my 6-pack. I don't see the need, the chain seems to stay on just fine, only very rarely does it fall inside, and if it does it's just onto the small ring. I've just never seen the need, even when doing drops and other stuff.

BTW, what size are those M4s? I have the same brakes, but I was wondering if that's the new pinned 180 rotor, or if it's a 160.

I've been riding 6/6 bikes for everything since 1998, but the 'pack sure puts a smile on my face whenever I hop on it. I just built a new wheel for it tonight, someone had a 521 rim that they gave me in return for letting them use my TS-2 and other tools.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Jm_ said:
I never had one on my RM DH, Azonic Saber, FXR, or my 6-pack. I don't see the need, the chain seems to stay on just fine, only very rarely does it fall inside, and if it does it's just onto the small ring. I've just never seen the need, even when doing drops and other stuff.

BTW, what size are those M4s? I have the same brakes, but I was wondering if that's the new pinned 180 rotor, or if it's a 160.

I've been riding 6/6 bikes for everything since 1998, but the 'pack sure puts a smile on my face whenever I hop on it. I just built a new wheel for it tonight, someone had a 521 rim that they gave me in return for letting them use my TS-2 and other tools.
They are the new 180mm rotors, we figured 160 wasn't going to look very cool or have much stopping power (the guy is about 220), and the 200s would be overkill.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Hahaha I love how you put the Go-Ride sticker UNDER the front derailleur clamp...not gonna come off without some dedication ;)

I've got a DRS on my FXR...love it. For some reason I had horrible problems dropping the chain inside the little ring and chewing up the bb shell. But I'm running my AS-X without one for the time being and it's just fine...go figure.