Quantcast

Fancy ski goggles

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Worth it? I'm talking about the newfangled spherical lenses and such. I've always just bought whatever was cheap, but they usually suck, fog up easily, fall apart etc. If the fancy stuff is actually an improvement on that front (especially fogging) I'd consider it worthwhile.

Thoughts?

Edit: To be clear, I'm talking spending $75-$150, give or take, as opposed to my usual $25. No amount of convincing is going to get me to believe this shit is worth it.

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
It's nice to get the fancier goggles with interchangeable lenses but don't get suckered into spending over $100. You can find decent ones for around $60-75 if you shop around a little.

EDIT: Also speaking from experience... just make sure you don't buy a style on clearance that is being discontinued because then you won't be able to find replacement lenses for them anymore. :banghead:

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Hm, I just got a good deal on Dragon Apex. Feels good, has a big field of sight and comes with a spare lense, which is really good in snowy, foggy conditions.
I think, yes, it's worth it, especially if you are in the mountains on those "special" days.

Nothing is more annoying, when it's 50-70cm deep, it snows like there's no tommorrow and you can't see sh!t

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I pretty much just run Oakley goggles. Even most of the last year models and such you get on sale, they still carry lenses for a while. They have some really nice ones available for under $100.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pro tip: ALWAYS carry an extra pair of goggles in your jacket on a powder day.

ALWAYS.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

That said - generally there is little point paying more than $75 for goggles. Any closeout over $35 should be adequate. Just make sure they are at least vented and double lenses. I personally like the ones with "adjustable" vents.

Of course - your $hit^H^H^Hnow out there is way more... snotty. So perhaps the fancy 'spensive goggles are worth it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pro tip: ALWAYS carry an extra pair of goggles in your jacket on a powder day.

ALWAYS.

NO EXCEPTIONS.
Duh.

That said - generally there is little point paying more than $75 for goggles. Any closeout over $35 should be adequate. Just make sure they are at least vented and double lenses. I personally like the ones with "adjustable" vents.

Of course - your $hit^H^H^Hnow out there is way more... snotty. So perhaps the fancy 'spensive goggles are worth it.
Sigh.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a pair of Smith I/O with a few lenses, and recently impulse-bought a pair of POC Lobes with a grey polarized lens. Huge fan of the Smiths, and really really liking the Lobes. IMO the I/O are the best solution and can be found new online for >$100 with two lenses.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Huge fan of the Smiths
:stupid:

I just bought a new Smith Camber helmet. My old one was about four years old and I figured it was just time to get a new one. Figured I might as well get new goggles while I was at it. Bought a pair of Smith I/O's that are supposed to be good for most light conditions, though I erred on the side of allowing more light in. Thank you MOM for the holiday money.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
I also run a smith goggle with a smith helmet setup (although both of mine are a couple years old). It is nice when you have both of the same manufacturer because my older goggles were SPY and even though I did like them, they didn't fit 100% with my older helmet.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No. God no. And I really dislike contacts. But I wear them for the 6 hours or so I ski on a ski day. I'd look for goggles with prescription options. Seriously. Don't wear glasses under your goggles. Recipe for disaster.
I usually ski with just my glasses. Doing this my whole life means I can ski with my eyes closed or not seeing much most of the time. :D

Btw. contact lenses business in the US == a major rip-off. They are over the counter in Europe. :thumbsdown:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hm. I'm not seeing the I/Os for less than $175 right now, I've got a Smith helmet too (forget the model... Variance?) so matching goggle brand seems like a good idea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No. God no. And I really dislike contacts. But I wear them for the 6 hours or so I ski on a ski day. I'd look for goggles with prescription options. Seriously. Don't wear glasses under your goggles. Recipe for disaster.
I've had goggles with prescription inserts, never again. Glasses work ok most of the time for me. The insert goggles were terrible.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I've used Smith's for years and usually go with their mid-range options which work quite well...and I've skied all over the country. That said, try to find a pair with the Ignitor Mirror lens. It's basically a light rose lens that works great in just about all light conditions. I have found that on super bright blue bird Colorado days that I wished that I had something slightly darker, but usually my eyes adjust and it's fine after a bit. They do however work great in low light conditions as well. Better than most any other brand that I've compared them to while trading on the chairlift.

Currently they offer that lens in the Knowledge OTG model, which is almost identical to what I have now but I don't remember them being an OTG model.. I always keep them in the goggle bag and they are going on three years of skiing 2-3X / week without issue. The adjustable vent works well and they fit good in the two different helmets that I have.

BTW, I live in NH which has similar weather and light to the PNW.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Smith I/Os with the Ignitor and Blue Sensor lenses on ebay for $90 new. Done.
I use the blue sensor lens in my goggles 99% of the time. They work well in most conditions except for when the light gets really flat/low at dusk. It gets a little difficult to see the minor bumps on the groomed hills.