Quantcast

Fann...err, Hip packs

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I had an epiphany recently after riding with @StiHacka and his fanny pack; the usual hydration pack I sport is overkill for 90% of the rides that I do. With the exception of a handful of times over the past few years, I rarely need half the shit I lug around on the average ride.

So what's the latest scuttlebutt? Are fanny packs the de facto choice for casual trail riders like myself? One of those under seat bags?

I envision carrying a tube, levers, a multitool, pump, wallet/keys/cell phone, and maybe a snack. Oh, and water, most likely in a bottle if I went that route.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Stfu old man, why don't you go back to feeding your dinosaur. Not all of us carry water filters in our cargo shorts for a mid-ride refill. ;)

What can I say, I'm tired ending the ride with a drenched back for no reason, especially if I could take the stuff that I do need and strap it to my bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stfu old man, why don't you go back to feeding your dinosaur. Not all of us carry water filters in our cargo shorts for a mid-ride refill. ;)

What can I say, I'm tired ending the ride with a drenched back for no reason, especially if I could take the stuff that I do need and strap it to my bike.
i've gotten to the point that i don't have to carry anything for rides that are under an hour unless its like 90°. oneup edc, pump & water bottle on frame.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If your on the front range get after an Atmosphere Mountainworks fanny pack. They're making them in Laramie.

No more Front Range for me :( I'm busy drowning in East Coast rox at the moment.

i've gotten to the point that i don't have to carry anything for rides that are under an hour unless its like 90°. oneup edc, pump & water bottle on frame.
Ooo, I like that Oneup. Now to find a shop who can tap my steerer. Or just bolt it to my frame. That sounds easier.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hey, I have no allegiance to the fanny pack. Perhaps I'll give the strap stuff to the frame method a go, especially for early season.

I do need a good way to bring my wallet/phone/keys along to flout the trailhead parasites though. Saddle bag?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I tried one and loved having no pack on my back, but hated having a pack around my waist.
If i wasn't so in shape (round) it might be a better solution.

Hmfph :mad:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you only need one water bottle, I'd try to go the route of not even having a bum pack. This is what I've done for fat biking, though I keep my phone and car key zipped up in pockets in my shorts/pants. I bring a single key (perhaps its also a good idea to hide one on the outside of the car...losing the key would absolutely suck). I also ditch the wallet and just bring one bank card and a single cash bill.

For the EDC, I think you can maybe store the tool inside of one of their pumps (??), which you can attach to a water bottle mount. That might be better than tapping your steer tube or purchasing their stem (which does away with needing the tap).

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
his bags were really nice.
This. Lab Austere.
Hey, I have no allegiance to the fanny pack. Perhaps I'll give the strap stuff to the frame method a go, especially for early season.

I do need a good way to bring my wallet/phone/keys along to flout the trailhead parasites though. Saddle bag?
Don't do it. We have moar rocks and shitty trails than most places. Fanny pack is the answer. :)
I generally don't carry water on rides less than four hours.
Mmkay. Our climate is a teeny hotter than yours, and more humid too.

You must be a camel.

I, on the other hand, need water. Mainly because I need an excuse to take a break. And cause I might die of thirst (I'm a thirsty person).
Based on drinking when I'm thirsty, If I'm in the desert southwest I carry a bladder in a backpack and might consume a liter and a half in a day. Riding on the east coast, if I carry water, I'll seldom use it.

I don't "hydrate" prior to riding and especially having read Noakes' Waterlogged, don't give a shit about piss color or other hydration mythology. Edit: Won't consume sports drinks on a bet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Based on drinking when I'm thirsty, If I'm in the desert southwest I carry a bladder in a backpack and might consume a liter and a half in a day. Riding on the east coast, if I carry water, I'll seldom use it.

I don't "hydrate" prior to riding and especially having read Noakes' Waterlogged, don't give a shit about piss color or other hydration mythology. Edit: Won't consume sports drinks on a bet.
Wrong. Water will interrupt your mummification.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you only need one water bottle, I'd try to go the route of not even having a bum pack. This is what I've done for fat biking, though I keep my phone and car key zipped up in pockets in my shorts/pants. I bring a single key (perhaps its also a good idea to hide one on the outside of the car...losing the key would absolutely suck). I also ditch the wallet and just bring one bank card and a single cash bill.

For the EDC, I think you can maybe store the tool inside of one of their pumps (??), which you can attach to a water bottle mount. That might be better than tapping your steer tube or purchasing their stem (which does away with needing the tap).
But he has an older Yeti with under downtube bottle mount, so his choices are Giardia or sweaty back.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I generally don't carry water on rides less than four hours.
while i like to be as grouchy and contrarian as anyone, here's my take.
local rides, no pack, waterbottle on the bike for occasional drinks cause it's hot.

mountains. back country. rides are 3k-5k elevation over 15-30 miles. i'd die if i didn't eat/drink. i wear a pack. i'd like not to. working on a way to strap the stuff i need to my bike without it being cumbersome. not there yet. i'd love to see @jbp down here on a 4 hour backcountry ride with no stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
while i like to be as grouchy and contrarian as anyone, here's my take.
local rides, no pack, waterbottle on the bike for occasional drinks cause it's hot.

mountains. back country. rides are 3k-5k elevation over 15-30 miles. i'd die if i didn't eat/drink. i wear a pack. i'd like not to. working on a way to strap the stuff i need to my bike without it being cumbersome. not there yet. i'd love to see @jbp down here on a 4 hour backcountry ride with no stuff.
Plus where do you put the traveler beer on big rides like those?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
https://labaustere.com/ this is marsha lolson's company. They look super neat and black matches everything.

My parents re-gifted me an old neon pink absolut fanny pack which I'll use for tools keys and phone if I ever ride again. I like my backpack but am starting to see the light that a 1-2hr ride doesn't need 96oz of water, and I can usually push out with a flat or mechanical if need be....our trails aren't such that a mid-ride mechanical means a 9 mile hike anywhere....more like 700 yards back to the car.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For < 2 hour rides, 26oz bottle on the bike and if I'm not wearing an XC jersey with rear pockets I've a couple of pairs of SpecialEd SWAT bibs with the pockets at the back.

Pockets carry Backcountry Research Tulbag, phone, wallet and if it's super hot in the summer a small collapsible water bottle.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've seen enough break-ins at trailheads that I'm always concerned about leaving anything of value in my vehicle.

Well, that and I log rides via Strava.
thankfully that's not very prevalent here.

and all my ride logging is done on my watch, then syncs to the phone once its in bluetooth range.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just like having it in case of emergencies. I usually ride solo, so getting stranded or stabbed could be an issue without a phone. With a phone, it's also an issue but at least you get to talk about it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've seen enough break-ins at trailheads that I'm always concerned about leaving anything of value in my vehicle.

Well, that and I log rides via Strava.
Yeah, I have to carry all of my shit because of tweakers. I have often wondered about the legality and liability of booby traps for people trying to steal shit, like a seatback pocket full of dirty razor blades.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah, I have to carry all of my shit because of tweakers. I have often wondered about the legality and liability of booby traps for people trying to steal shit, like a seatback pocket full of dirty razor blades.
Make one that sprays dirty water, that should be sufficient these days.