Quantcast

Fann...err, Hip packs

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah, I have to carry all of my shit because of tweakers. I have often wondered about the legality and liability of booby traps for people trying to steal shit, like a seatback pocket full of dirty razor blades.
Fill your trunk with dirty needles and bury decoy valuables in there. See how badly they want your stuff.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Hey All!
Updated Lab Austere packs are arriving shortly. Revised zippers and stitching.
Check em out here: labaustere.com
Happy to pass along a great monkey deal. Just pm me.
thanks

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Hey All!
Updated Lab Austere packs are arriving shortly. Revised zippers and stitching.
Check em out here: labaustere.com
Happy to pass along a great monkey deal. Just pm me.
thanks
what is that great monkey deal you speak of? #discountcode?

I'm about to order one...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
can the LA pack fit a big phone? I have a note 8 and want to make sure I can carry my phone alongside all the rest of the trash in my pack.
Hey man!

I get the phone question all the time, and don’t have good data there, other than I have yet to actually get a return for a phone not fitting.

So, I am happy to take the pack back if it does not fit!

Let me know if that works :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
can the LA pack fit a big phone? I have a note 8 and want to make sure I can carry my phone alongside all the rest of the trash in my pack.
I have a pixel 3a xl which fits at 160mm tall. Google says the note 8 is 162.5 tall so it should fit. I don't think much bigger would fit.

Edit - this is in the zippered pocket between the bottle holders.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks man. I mostly want a pack for a multitool, phone, and C02 for hour long post-work/ sunday afternoon rides. I tried one of the generic fanny packs my parents had on a ride and it was OK, but I don't want a full bladder and water bottle holder in there. The LA pack is pretty dope and it supports a monkey bro so that's cool

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks man. I mostly want a pack for a multitool, phone, and C02 for hour long post-work/ sunday afternoon rides. I tried one of the generic fanny packs my parents had on a ride and it was OK, but I don't want a full bladder and water bottle holder in there. The LA pack is pretty dope and it supports a monkey bro so that's cool
i've been real happy with mine. i even use it for rides around the neighborhood with the kids and toss their water bottles in it.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I’m going to go ahead and bump this thing. After yesterday’s after work ride, it’s apparent that Summer is coming – and there is no way on earth that you’re going to ride around here during the Summer for any real length of time without water. Plus, my bottle cage is in the worst place possible (under the down tube). I think that carrying two water bottles plus the bare basics would do the trick. For anything that requires more water than that, I’d drag out my Camelbak Mule, even though I don’t like wearing it.

I believe that this is pack you guys are talking about. For those of you that have it, how well does it stay in place? My concern is that it would fall down when going through the chunky stuff….?

If it works, I don’t care if it’s a fanny pack ‘cause I sweat like some kind of wild animal. I just want more water without strapping an even more sweat inducing anvil to my back.

@marshalolson is that monkey discount still in place? :brows:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I’m going to go ahead and bump this thing. After yesterday’s after work ride, it’s apparent that Summer is coming – and there is no way on earth that you’re going to ride around here during the Summer for any real length of time without water. Plus, my bottle cage is in the worst place possible (under the down tube). I think that carrying two water bottles plus the bare basics would do the trick. For anything that requires more water than that, I’d drag out my Camelbak Mule, even though I don’t like wearing it.

I believe that this is pack you guys are talking about. For those of you that have it, how well does it stay in place? My concern is that it would fall down when going through the chunky stuff….?

If it works, I don’t care if it’s a fanny pack ‘cause I sweat like some kind of wild animal. I just want more water without strapping an even more sweat inducing anvil to my back.

yup. that's the one. stays in place really well. it does sometime bounce around a little bit because it sorta hangs down from the waist strap. at first i thought this would be problematic, but it works much much better than i was expecting. i have never had a bottle fall out of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i ever use it for winter riding, i don't carry 2 bottles in it, but i'll shove in some extra gloves or something, i even stuck a spare jersey in it once as an extra layer. all stayed put.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
That actually sounds like a good idea. I'm good with one bottle during the Winter and having a bit of storage could be handy. Summer? Not so much.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the one thing about using it with a single bottle is that it can feel a little unbalanced if you don't have something in the other bottle pouch to counterbalance it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for the long rides i do around here in the summer (2 - 2.5 hours in 90° heat & humidity) i'll carry 2 bottles, and a 3rd in my bottle cage (which is in a reasonable location thankfully).

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
If I end up giving this a try (which I likely will) and it works well, I could absolutely see going this route. I don't need to carry enough crap to rebuild a small-block Chevy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i started using the EDC which i really like, so that's one less thing to carry. for short rides & when its not hot i can get away without a pack and only 1 or 2 things in my pocket.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the one thing about using it with a single bottle is that it can feel a little unbalanced if you don't have something in the other bottle pouch to counterbalance it.
I actually just ride with 2 bottles (since they weight nothing), half filled on a quick ride.

But even just an empty bottle and a filled one carries fine (IMO), as I find the instability more in the unequal shape/structure, rather than the weight.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've started dumping a pint of water down the gullet before I go on a ride. That way I don't have to carry a bottle or even think about it again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I actually just ride with 2 bottles (since they weight nothing), half filled on a quick ride.

But even just an empty bottle and a filled one carries fine (IMO), as I find the instability more in the unequal shape/structure, rather than the weight.
You ever try a smaller bottle? I'm just curious- perhaps a smaller bottle with the same water would reduce sloshing but still keep things TIGHT and balanced. Even available in fluoro yellow @jonKranked

I think this year I will finally get a HIP PACK...reg pack is just too big n sweaty

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Those Labaustere packs look pretty sweet, the price is right, and I am totally in favor of supporting a monkey business.

That said, if anyone's looking for an alternative I picked up an EVOC Pro 3L a while back that I really like. Stays pretty stable and has lots of pockets and features that work for me. I'm not a huge fan of the bladder (or really any bladder for a hip pack) but it's nice to have the option. Like the Labaustere, it has two separate bottle holders. Lately I've been taking two bottles (one on the bike and one in the pack), and leaving the bladder at home, which leaves more room in the pack for other stuff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I run a super small, sleek saddlebag, but I have a 200 dropper and a stupid long inseam for my height. The tire buzzes my ass before the seatbag hits the tire. Works for me.
Always better to have your ass make contact before your sack.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are saddlebags out of style now? I see a lot of products on the market to get around having a simple bag under your seat.
It's really one of the dumbest places to put something IMO. Dropper posts and geometry have kind of killed this, being able to take your saddle down close to the seat when you drop.

There are a lot of little places like stem-bags that don't have nearly as big of an impact.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
It's really one of the dumbest places to put something IMO. Dropper posts and geometry have kind of killed this, being able to take your saddle down close to the seat when you drop.

There are a lot of little places like stem-bags that don't have nearly as big of an impact.
I'm 6'5" with an XXL frame, there is a lot of room for the post to drop before it gets to my wheel :yu:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC

I like mine a lot. I haven't ridden it on anything I consider truly chunky but I haven’t noticed much movement. I do have the strap snug though.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I like mine a lot. I haven't ridden it on anything I consider truly chunky but I haven’t noticed much movement. I do have the strap snug though.
Very cool. Will probably order one this evening. Just noticed that you’re in Waxhaw. I’m in IT. PM me if you want to ride some of the trails close to us. I’m slow but I have a good time!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
You are in CLT?

I am sending you a PM. Also has a code in case you order.
Very cool. Will probably order one this evening. Just noticed that you’re in Waxhaw. I’m in IT. PM me if you want to ride some of the trails close to us. I’m slow but I have a good time!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Another fan of the Lab Austere pack. I've got the original version. Only issue was needing to beef up some of the stitching after a couple rides. Been great since then.

One bottle on the frame, Backcountry Research frame strap with quick and dirty oh shit get out of the woods without hiking kit, phone/keys/$$ in pockets for short rides or cold enough to only need the one. The Zefel 33oz bottle is key there - assuming it will fit your frame.

The LA pack gets me near 100oz of H2O if using both pockets for bottles. A beer in a good neoprene koozie stays in quite nicely also.

Camelback hip pack with a bladder and more cargo room for longer rides, or when needing to shed and stash or carry more layers.

Only time the larger packs come out any longer is those super hot and humid days when I know it'll get used, or longer rides in other places.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
My L.A. pack arrived yesterday. It certainly seems well made and there is quite a bit of storage, which I will need to remember that I don't need to fill up. Looks to be just the thing for shorter, Summer rides. Looking forward to the first ride with it.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Just to join the chorus here, I've got a V1 L.A. pack which has been great for a bunch of long mountain rides--no issues even with rough descents or longer rides. I really like it. My wifey got the V2 which is an upgrade in materials and zippers and she loves it as well esp for supplies now our kids are both riding and need to eat every 30 minutes.