Quantcast

Fanny Packs

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's only one of me. Hacktastic and udi probably ride with the damn things now so they're useless.

You and me. We got this.

I'll start: Hey HAB is that a fanny pack or a gut bumper pad for all your buddies you shop for fanny packs with?
Only reason you don't ride with one is because they're not available in kid sizes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There's only one of me. Hacktastic and udi probably ride with the damn things now so they're useless.

You and me. We got this.

I'll start: Hey HAB is that a fanny pack or a gut bumper pad for all your buddies you shop for fanny packs with?
Dude, fanny pack is not the preferred nomenclature. Enduro satchel, please.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I started wearing one during winter - camelback with winter clothing is a major PITA.
:confused: I wear a small camelbak under my shell (usually a softshell). It's the only way to prevent water freezing. If I rode with water in a bottle in the winter, the spout would be frozen in about 20 minutes.

I wear a polypro, a thin fleece, the camelbak, and a softshell. Down to -4°F. below that, fuck biking.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
:confused: I wear a small camelbak under my shell (usually a softshell). It's the only way to prevent water freezing. If I rode with water in a bottle in the winter, the spout would be frozen in about 20 minutes.

I wear a polypro, a thin fleece, the camelbak, and a softshell. Down to -4°F. below that, fuck biking.

Started using a RaceFace Stash tank as a winter under/base layer last winter. Holds a small bladder, all the ride basics close and keeps 'em warm. Great since I'm usually out for under 3 hours when it's single digit temps, and not needing to carry as much stuff anyhow.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Started using a RaceFace Stash tank as a winter under/base layer last winter. Holds a small bladder, all the ride basics close and keeps 'em warm. Great since I'm usually out for under 3 hours when it's single digit temps, and not needing to carry as much stuff anyhow.
I have the stash tank too. I found it would slip back and choke me... Have you found a solution to that? Caus' unlike @mandown, I'm not really into that sort thing...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I have the stash tank too. I found it would slip back and choke me... Have you found a solution to that? Caus' unlike @mandown, I'm not really into that sort thing...
Not really, other than to not have it overloaded. Not a big issue with water in winter. Tried it a few times this summer by itself, shoving a frozen bladder in there. Nice and cool until things melted.

Tried to tuck the thing into the shorts at the front, which helps keep it riding up/back, but then it's just plain not comfy.

Meh. Overall, I still like the thing.

It's hot and nasty humid here in the summer. My happy medium for carrying enough water and having cargo space with less heat on my back is the "enduro satchel" with 50-70oz of water and a 20oz bottle on the bike.

Have been using a Source fanny pack that has been great, but it's a bit over a year old and already falling apart in spots. Repairs only do so much. Just received a Camelbak Repack yesterday. Looks and feels good, has the features I wanted, and looks to be more durable. Also jut ordered up one of Marshal's bags, because, hey, why not!?

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
:confused: I wear a small camelbak under my shell (usually a softshell). It's the only way to prevent water freezing.
It isn't about freezing water for me (I don't drink much during shorter winter rides anyway), it is about sweaty back under the backpack in cold temperatures. I dislike that combination very much. It is a much smaller issue with a fanny pack which I have for carrying battery for helmet light, phone, keys, minitool & few spare parts; and a folding saw for downfall.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i've ridden as low as -10°F. was still toasty. could go colder for sure, just doesn't get that cold around here. sounds like you need better gear.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I got a Deuter Pulse 3, mostly because it was cheap and I wanted to experiment with a fanny pack. As fanny packs go, I like it, but I'm not totally sold on fanny packs.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
@marshalolson got my pack today, this thing is glorious, thank you sir! I have not ridden it yet but it seems to be exactly what I thought it would be. I have heard through the grape vine several other guys purchased them. I really like the shaped bottle holders, seem great for a bottle and beer! Branding is subtle and cool which I appreciate as well. I do have one question, was there ever a thought to making the front facing belt pouch big enough for a phone? That would be incredible but might be ergonomically weird, (esp if you have a gunt/fupa). I would love to have my phone tucked in there for easy photo access it gets all steamy in my pocket.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@marshalolson got my pack today, this thing is glorious, thank you sir! I have not ridden it yet but it seems to be exactly what I thought it would be. I have heard through the grape vine several other guys purchased them. I really like the shaped bottle holders, seem great for a bottle and beer! Branding is subtle and cool which I appreciate as well. I do have one question, was there ever a thought to making the front facing belt pouch big enough for a phone? That would be incredible but might be ergonomically weird, (esp if you have a gunt/fupa). I would love to have my phone tucked in there for easy photo access it gets all steamy in my pocket.
Thanks man! RM has been keeping me busy shipping these things, grateful for the response, and excited for everyone's .02 after some miles.

I prefer to put my phone in the angles (slash) pocket on the water bottle holder. Super easy to get to fast. The waist belt pockets are really only good for soft things, or they poke you while riding.

Hit me with any more questions,
Marshal

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Mine arrived today also and it looks and feels fantastic! :banana: And thank you for the wallet, what a nice touch! :cheers:
I am going to give it a shake down ride in 10 minutes. The bottle holders feel very solid yet "easy to operate". My S8 fits in the back pocket fine, and I love all the small zipped compartments for chain links, emergency currency and other flat items. You got a winner there, Marshal!

:clapping:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thanks man! RM has been keeping me busy shipping these things, grateful for the response, and excited for everyone's .02 after some miles.

I prefer to put my phone in the angles (slash) pocket on the water bottle holder. Super easy to get to fast. The waist belt pockets are really only good for soft things, or they poke you while riding.

Hit me with any more questions,
Marshal
Ya man, I received mine and others have been as well. I got to ride w/ it yesterday and I really think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone else was missing the point with these, even the big guys. What's weird about the others is that everything got jammed into a central location. In yours, the things you need regularly can be segmented out and the things you need almost never can be stashed away...I totally hear you on the hip belt, you don't want hard angle stuff digging into your midsection.

Last edited:

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
The real test for any fanny-pack design is how they fit when soaked to the bone in the rain. My current pack out of 4 different models I have tried. Is the only one not too sag down my ass like a droopie baby diaper.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
The real test for any fanny-pack design is how they fit when soaked to the bone in the rain. My current pack out of 4 different models I have tried. Is the only one not too sag down my ass like a droopie baby diaper.
@ZHendo was asking in DM about rain as well.

I live in Utah, so to be honest, I have ridden in the rain with these things a couple times ever. Not a large enough sample size on my end to speak to conclusively. I have some buddies in Squamish riding everyday with these though, so let me ask them and pass along their .02

I will say that as long as it is up on your hips and the belt is tight enough, water weight should not sag a properly designed pack.

Last edited:

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
@ZHendo was asking in DM about rain as well.

I live in Utah, so to be honest, I have ridden in the rain with these things a couple times ever. Not a large enough sample size on my end to speak to conclusively. I have some buddies in Squamish riding everyday with these though, so let me ask them and pass along their .02

I will say that as long as it is up on your hips and the belt is tight enough, water weight should not sag a properly designed pack.

I always ask how it performs in the wet and muck. I live in BC we get lots of it. It's also from experience , I bought the first Cheeta Cycle Prowler in Canada back in the mid 90,s. Few rides in the muck and the pivot was seized up from the bushing expanding from water. Being a Cali built bike they never considered wetter environments.They used a material the absorbed moisture and they where in a desert dry climate 95% of the time.

Interesting pack , good luck with it . It looks like it will be popular once the word gets out.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
anyone wanna try it?

Have used it and similar products (Grangers etc) over the years on my Canoe-camping gear.
Works well, but not as good as factory DWR coatings.
Good for touchups, and for extra protection on high-wear areas, ie around buckles etc on packs, or shoulders on your jacket where pack straps / normal abrasion from opening and closing can wear the factory DWR.

Works good on new and worn/wearing fabrics that are well cared not so much on old dirty stuff. Fabric must be clean.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have used it and similar products (Grangers etc) over the years on my Canoe-camping gear.
Works well, but not as good as factory DWR coatings.
Good for touchups, and for extra protection on high-wear areas, ie around buckles etc on packs, or shoulders on your jacket where pack straps / normal abrasion from opening and closing can wear the factory DWR.

Works good on new and worn/wearing fabrics that are well cared not so much on old dirty stuff. Fabric must be clean.
nothing is as good as a factory DWR coating, it's hard to compare something from an aerosol bottle against an industrial process that adds DWR to a material/garment.