Quantcast

Fanny Packs

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are great. I don't need to carry much shit with me on most rides, and it's so much cooler not having a pack across the main part of my back. I haven't ridden with a backpack in years. My conundrum is this: I have an older Dakine Hot Laps that I use a lot. It's fine for short rides, but if I wear it for 4+ hours, the coarse mesh chafes my back, and I get a tramp stamp rash. I also have an Evoc 3L which is great if I want to carry more stuff, but is way bigger than I need or want most of the time. So, I'm looking for a new, small pack. Criteria are:

SMALL. I'm going to carry a multi tool, a tube, a really small pump, and that's it.
Must have a water bottle pouch (for beer, duh).
Not a Dakine Hot Laps.

What's good?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have one of them double-barrel Osprey hip packs with the air mesh n stuff. It isn't very small though (it is still lightweight), I carry a tiny pump, a spare tube, tire levers, multi-tool and a small hand chain saw to cut downfall.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Might be of interest, but I started a little side hustle this summer because I got frustrated with the fanny's all kind of missing on something or another: Some have way too much storage, not enough storage, some carried 1 bottle only, carried bad with only 1 bottle, others had the bottles bounce out, or just generally didn't carry well at all... etc. Have a look, tell me what you think...

www.labaustere.com

if anyone here is interested, pm me for a intro discount code.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Might be of interest, but I started a little side hustle this summer because I got frustrated with the fanny's all kind of missing on something or another: Some have way too much storage, not enough storage, some carried 1 bottle only, carried bad with only 1 bottle, others had the bottles bounce out, or just generally didn't carry well at all... etc. Have a look, tell me what you think...

www.labaustere.com

That looks really sweet. PM inbound.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001

www.labaustere.com

Looks really great! Wow!

I have difficulties visualizing the size of the main pocket from the pics. Is it the central one with a zipper? Can you really put a tube + multitool + CO2 + some other small stuff in it?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
a roadie 2x CO2 mount bolted behind seat tube to the DM front mech mount bolts, tube stretchy velcro strapped infront
Capra Co2 mount resized.jpg

and a tiny multitool (which has Allen/torx/chaintool/screwdrivers and CO2 head) in a small neoprene bag velco straped under the saddle.
Tyre worms n zipties inside my front maxle, quick link held on gear cable hidden under front brake lever.
Cash and keys in a small zipped jersey;trouser/shorts pocket.
sometimes I take my phone.
Don't need food or drink for rides under 2&1/2hrs
Now the relivant part:
Longer rides I'll carry a 600ml bottle in a runners bottle belt and some sort of bar in my pocket. They cost around £7-10 because no cyclist tax ;) - Beer fits in there too. But over here you're never far from a pub or a shop both of which are alays more than happy to exchange their beer for your cash.

This one:

Has a little pocket (probably just large enough pocket for all the stuff you listed)

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
One up tool has been great to me along with race face stash bibs with a 1.5L bladder tucked In the bladder poach and a water filter. We ride the same trails.

I’ve got an osprey two bottle and it’s alright, but I don’t think the buckle is a wide enough so that might irritate on longer rides.

I also have an older camel pack fanny with a 1.5 L and it’s good.

JC Canfield up in Bellingham makes the HighAbove fanny packs and is a great guy. I don’t have one myself, but know a lot of guys who do and they look money. It’s on my list for winter.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

www.labaustere.com

Wow, this thing looks great PM inbound.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Looks really great! Wow!

I have difficulties visualizing the size of the main pocket from the pics. Is it the central one with a zipper? Can you really put a tube + multitool + CO2 + some other small stuff in it?
Hey man, cooking dinner for the family, will try to snap a few pics this eve after.

There are 4 main pockets:
  • Two slash pockets on either side of the water bottles. The material is super stretchy on the outside of these pockets. I put my wallet/keys in one pocket and my phone in the other.
  • The main/central storage pocket. I store allen keys, C02, chain breaker, small chainlube bottle, and a small bag with odds and ends like a few 4mm and 5mm bolts, chain links, a spare valve stem, zip ties etc. I'll add a few granola bars on big rides too.
  • There is also a velcro pocket with super stretchy material on the front of the central pocket. I leave my spare tube in there, and it will fit a well packaged and rolled up shell jacket or a bag of trail mix or whatever pretty easily. If its super dusty, I have both a tube and my chain lube bottle in it.
There are also 2 small hip pockets.
  • one side has a few salt pills and a sunglasses cleaning cloth
  • the other side has TP and a small bit of duct tape.
Oh, and the key to wearing this thing is having it up high enough on your hip bones, with the belt right under your belly button. Not heard anyone thinking that was uncomfortable, but YMMV.

Hope that helps...!?!?!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Hey man, cooking dinner for the family, will try to snap a few pics this eve after.

There are 4 main pockets:
  • Two slash pockets on either side of the water bottles. The material is super stretchy on the outside of these pockets. I put my wallet/keys in one pocket and my phone in the other.
  • The main/central storage pocket. I store allen keys, C02, chain breaker, small chainlube bottle, and a small bag with odds and ends like a few 4mm and 5mm bolts, chain links, a spare valve stem, zip ties etc. I'll add a few granola bars on big rides too.
  • There is also a velcro pocket with super stretchy material on the front of the central pocket. I leave my spare tube in there, and it will fit a well packaged and rolled up shell jacket or a bag of trail mix or whatever pretty easily. If its super dusty, I have both a tube and my chain lube bottle in it.
There are also 2 small hip pockets.
  • one side has a few salt pills and a sunglasses cleaning cloth
  • the other side has TP and a small bit of duct tape.
Oh, and the key to wearing this thing is having it up high enough on your hip bones, with the belt right under your belly button. Not heard anyone thinking that was uncomfortable, but YMMV.

Hope that helps...!?!?!
That does help a ton. Thanks!

My problem/question is that work, family and craft beer got in the way and now I'm fat too. Any problems wearing it for someone wearing size 36 pants? Like Nick mentionned, a belly and hip pack often don't mix well.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
That does help a ton. Thanks!

My problem/question is that work, family and craft beer got in the way and now I'm fat too. Any problems wearing it for someone wearing size 36 pants? Like Nick mentionned, a belly and hip pack often don't mix well.
I dunno man... i am 35-36" waist with no issues. But i am not fat, just big boned. lol.

free free to send it back if its no-bueno.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have a Hunter cycles fanny pack that works well. My only gripe is no water bottle storage. It holds lots of stuff including a pump, tube, food, tools, phone, keys, windbreaker, and helmet light.

Marshal's fanny looks rad though. Nice work!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Interested!

How do the bottles not fly out on ruffff steep stuff?
It’s all about the angle of the pockets and how the pockets are fitted.

I actually went through 5 designs over the last 1.5yrs to land on what it is now. So the design now allows the bottles to slide in easily while riding bit not really falling out

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I started wearing one during winter - camelback with winter clothing is a major PITA.
Indeed...

Now that I think of it, I already have a fanny pack for skate XC skiing, but it's the weird type with a rigid plastic water container and with very little space for anything other than an additional layer and my car keys. It's fine for XC skiing, but I'll try the Lab Austere one. There are good chances that it will turn out to be much superior.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
There's only one of me. Hacktastic and udi probably ride with the damn things now so they're useless.

You and me. We got this.

I'll start: Hey HAB is that a fanny pack or a gut bumper pad for all your buddies you shop for fanny packs with?
You sound jelly. :D