Quantcast

Farmer's Market Bounty

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ok, did the SF Farmer's market thing on Saturday and need to report. We hit the market in the morning then spent the rest of the day eating, drinking, and cooking.

First, as we were leaving the market we were hypnotized by racks of pork twirling on a rotiserrie, so we bought two bones. Went straight home and made some of the best sandwiches ever: Toasted bread, thinly sliced super juicy pork, goat cheese, arugula, and frog hollow apricot preserves. Dang it was good!

For dinner, I made a mushroom freakout. First I sauteed almost a full pound of chopped chanterelles and black trumpets in a little butter with garlic, thyme and salt. Then I layered thinly sliced potatoes (cut the long way on a benriner) that had been soaked in heavy cream in a buttered baking dish, topped with some of the mushrooms, a little grated parm, and more thyme, then repeated until I had three layers. Topped with a final layer of potatoes, covered in foil, then baked for an hour with a cast iron pan on top to weigh it down. Removed the foil, topped with a little more cheese, then browned it.

I cut this creation into squares and topped it off with more chanterelles in a heavy cream sauce and sprinkled with more thyme and truffle salt. Oh damn!

Added a salad of mixed greens, peaches, figs, goat cheese, toasted pecans, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

We drank a Sancerre and a Marlborough sauv blanc during the day, and an Alexander Valley Vineyards Syrah with dinner. Yum!