Quantcast

Fashion content

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Actually, it might be 5 if I can talk the girlfriend into Sutton I'm QC.

@Jozz Ever been or heard anything? A few friends say its wonderful. Sucks they charge per uplift, if one does not want to pedal.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Actually, it might be 5 if I can talk the girlfriend into Sutton I'm QC.

@Jozz Ever been or heard anything? A few friends say its wonderful. Sucks they charge per uplift, if one does not want to pedal.
I've been once. What I saw was not bad but not exceptional. I haven't seen all of the DH since I had to pedal to the top 3 times. There is a new park up north, Mont Blanc. Trails designed by Gravity Logic. Not a lot of trails as of now but first reports say it's pretty good, for flow DH stuff cause roots and rocks are bad.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Good for you @canadmos good to see some DH adventures

IMG_20230715_165919_823.jpg

Nice we got summit in a few times already and snow valley.
We are in courdelane right now so mt Spokane wife suggested whistler (she only knows of it from co workers lol), there's resort or 2 over here that may get thrown in. She suggested it after bringing the hightower LT...so we get to see if it can handle DH style crap, that was the intention originally anywase....

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have been riding Åre bike park for the last couple of days with my son. It was all fun until I flew over the bar and broke a rib... now I will fully focus on ice-cream and beer
Screenshot_20230717_131807_Gallery.jpg

Bridges can be difficult to cross, IDK...
He was fine.
Screenshot_20230717_131732_Gallery.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My wife wants me to quit riding mtb all together until the kids are grown up and out of the house. how am I supposed to even consider a gravity-fed trip?! :dead:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Buy some lights and go night riding, she'll never know!! (Unless you still sleep with her in the same bed, then tell her you can't sleep because of your legs and go "for a walk"!!)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My wife wants me to quit riding mtb all together until the kids are grown up and out of the house. how am I supposed to even consider a gravity-fed trip?! :dead:
Mine realizes I've been doing stupid shit long before her and will be doing it I'd like to say long after but probably before her lol .
I won't go into all of the blah blah blah but I have raised kids with a broken back, ripped out Arm and collar bone in throat , broken ribs hip and type 3 AC tear...not just from MTB ...

Point is she realizes I won't quit daily stuff and I will still work even with injury without complaint..slightly slower but effective...
Both my boys ride and do dumb shit with and without me...

Kais buddy landed on his head last summer paralyzed him in a pool so they held him till responders got there and he spent 8 days in radys ICU..All good and tearing shit up again with me... As
Already been to the park with me, got him a super 73 he's wheeling it all over doing all the tricks and sends it off some.jumps...
Screenshot_20230717_071925_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn, how do you even...

Don't your kids, or at least one of them, also like to bike? I mean generally mountain biking isn't that dangerous.

Thats a no win situation. :(

Would she be okay with white water kayaking on the Ottawa river?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Question; how you guys can afford, or WANT to pay lift served riding these days!? Around here the cheapest is $68 for a tiny boring mountain. Bromont is like $90 or something.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Question; how you guys can afford, or WANT to pay lift served riding these days!? Around here the cheapest is $68 for a tiny boring mountain. Bromont is like $90 or something.
I don't.

Our local hill here upped their prices and its now $450 or something with tax before tax. A few of us in our ride group have choosen not to get passes this summer. Thats just too much. And keep in mind, this is a hill with only 80m of elevation change.

For trips and whatnot, I don't mind paying for a few passes.

Bromont is $52 per day, if you get their multiday ticket, which is what we do.

But yeah, none of them are cheap anymore.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
that is not the car i would have associated with you

AT ALL
all american's have 4ft lifted bro dozers that spew deisel smoke. They come with a drivers license and you have to accept them to be able to drive at all. Because we have freedom™ we can also buy other cars to drive when we need to go through mcdonald's drive through to get our mandated 16 big macs per day.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I don't want to either. I spend too much on the bikes haha :nerd:But seriously, I found a few free spots to ride and that's okay with me. I'll pay the day passes when I feel like going for half a day or a day of riding, but these days when I go for a 1-1.5hr ride, I don't feel like paying 25-30$ for a day pass or 60$ for a lift pass.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I live like 3 miles from a bike park. I quit when passes reached $450 and they simultaneously dropped local business discounts.

just looked, $520 now. That's ochain money.

This joint has had 28 years of running a bike park to figure out how to do it right, and they still skimp everywhere they can while living near one of the biggest mtb riding populations in the world. They're just bad at it.

meanwhile

vailstock.JPG

I like to think I'm responsible for that -0.13% drop. That's what will get me through the day.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
$409 this season at Trestle. $89 for a walk up day ticket/$69 if purchased 2 days in advance. So it's effectively 6 trips to break even.

They keep bermifying stuff :(

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Way to stick it to the man @kidwoo fuckin tell em whats up. Vail out here trembling

Fun fact: Vail mountain is looking at their options because Drs and Lawyers have been priced out of living there, and they have determined that in order to attract doctors and lawyers to live there, they need to make some affordable housing options for them.

Vail is, and I cannot stress this enough, the actual fucking worst.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Well I know I've already ranted on this, but if that can put a balm on your wounds, XC trail centre passes here are around 300$cdn each with no lift access.At 25$/day, you need to go at least 12 times to break even, so since I've had a kid I have not bought one.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Well I know I've already ranted on this, but if that can put a balm on your wounds, XC trail centre passes here are around 300$cdn each with no lift access.At 25$/day, you need to go at least 12 times to break even, so since I've had a kid I have not bought one.
We are such a "société distincte"

I ride our free trails in the "Laurentide" and go across the border in VT and NH for some good ol' free singletracks. Haven't been to the Quebec City region in 5-6 years. Prices are insane and too many broduros per sq km.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Seriously, if there were less broduros per sq km, I would maybe get my pass. The trails are really nice and it's close to where I live, but I just can't stand the bros.

In addition to paying a season pass, they often ask for volunteers to help (nothing wrong with that if you have the time and will), and now they do an "adopt-a-trail" so that one can maintain it all summer and save 300$. Then they host races and events like last week's "Quebec singletrack experience", when it rained like hell every day so that must have fucked the trails quite a bit. Then the volunteers go work to get the trails back in good condition. That's the société distincte!

The free spots are less crowded and they don't host events so that's two wins.

Edit : sorry, wrong thread, that would have been more suited to "what's wrong with the industry"

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Got a season pass to the local bike park for $385. Just checked day passes and they're $63.

Free, quick maths: two more days and I am basically making money like a crypto-bro.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Man, I feel super lucky.

Purgatory may be small, but you rarely wait more than 5 minutes in line, and a season pass for "bike folk" (industry and local shop employees) is $99.

After the BME this year trails are so beat to hell it's actually more fun. Save those smooth, buffed out flow trails for your mama!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Season pass is the best way for me. 1.5 hours to Thunder and I’ve already broke even. Plus it come with two Killington and two Windham passes. If I go to Highland it’s midweek and buy the ticket ahead of time and it’s cheaper. Although I went there a few weeks ago and it was very meh. I’m spoiled with Thunder. Killington ticket prices on the weekend are pretty ridiculous these days though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Damn, how do you even...

Don't your kids, or at least one of them, also like to bike? I mean generally mountain biking isn't that dangerous.

Thats a no win situation. :(

Would she be okay with white water kayaking on the Ottawa river?
good questions... yeah, my boys are hot and cold on biking. sometimes they are really into it, other times not so much.

I think this is an over-reaction to my latest injury. It might be a temporary reaction. I suggested I might want to take the oldest to Kingdom Trails for a few days later this summer... she wasn't impressed. I think it's the timing - I did my knee in skiing during march break which took me out of parenting duties for a few weeks. This recent injury isn't too bad overall, it's just that the timing is bad in that I still can't do anything with the kids for another 2 weeks (5 total) - no biking, no canoeing, no swimming etc...

since I've been with her I've broken my wrist, several ribs several times, smacked my hip so that I thought I'd broken it, crashed on my head so that I thought I'd broken my neck, actually did break my back, and now, have broken my shoulder blade - all from mountain biking.

My only other injury from not riding has been my knee. She has broken her ankle slipping on ice outside our driveway, but that's it. And none of my other biking buddies seem to get injured as often as I do...

I think she knows this is who I am, but it doesn't make it less annoying when your partner is off-line so often...

Good thing they don't allow biking in Tremblant eh?! https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/gondola-investigation-mont-tremblant-1.6908688 (too soon?!)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
We don't have to pay to ride here. Just parking. But even then. Only if you absolutely must begin your ride as close to the start of man made trails as possible.
Uplift services are obviously not free. But aren't the worst value considering they're either diesel 15 seater mini buses towing bike trailers or big ol Highlands tourist trap gondola/lift.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
since I've been with her I've broken my wrist, several ribs several times, smacked my hip so that I thought I'd broken it, crashed on my head so that I thought I'd broken my neck, actually did break my back, and now, have broken my shoulder blade - all from mountain biking.

My only other injury from not riding has been my knee. She has broken her ankle slipping on ice outside our driveway, but that's it. And none of my other biking buddies seem to get injured as often as I do...

I think she knows this is who I am, but it doesn't make it less annoying when your partner is off-line so often...
I know how you feel. I stopped riding for two years and sold my bike after being fed up with bone breakages that forced me out of work two summer in a row. Then I bought a new bike and started again with a new mindset and I toned it down a bit. It's so much more fun just being able to ride for a whole summer without breaking anything even if means going a bit slower or around big features.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
good questions... yeah, my boys are hot and cold on biking. sometimes they are really into it, other times not so much.

I think this is an over-reaction to my latest injury. It might be a temporary reaction. I suggested I might want to take the oldest to Kingdom Trails for a few days later this summer... she wasn't impressed. I think it's the timing - I did my knee in skiing during march break which took me out of parenting duties for a few weeks. This recent injury isn't too bad overall, it's just that the timing is bad in that I still can't do anything with the kids for another 2 weeks (5 total) - no biking, no canoeing, no swimming etc...

Good thing they don't allow biking in Tremblant eh?! https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/gondola-investigation-mont-tremblant-1.6908688 (too soon?!)
I saw that about Tremblant too. Quebec just is not great with their gondolas, eh. Sad to see, either way.

How long has it been now that biking has been gone from there? I never went back then, but I've heard the trails on the hill were great...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Season pass is the best way for me. 1.5 hours to Thunder and I’ve already broke even. Plus it come with two Killington and two Windham passes. If I go to Highland it’s midweek and buy the ticket ahead of time and it’s cheaper. Although I went there a few weeks ago and it was very meh. I’m spoiled with Thunder. Killington ticket prices on the weekend are pretty ridiculous these days though.
Industry discount at summit valley and sky park...got buddies at a couple others