Quantcast

Fashion content

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
IDK. I just wouldn't disrespect Jonny T. The original Tomac. Legend. No matter what he wore or rode when he won bike races. Or crashed out. At least he showed up and gave it a go.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
we’re still a dorksport
We sure are! Ignoring aerodymanics for perceived "image" gains when the courses get faster and faster seems dumb. The bike industry pushed all kinds of shit on us to "make our bikes faster" and we happily ignored a cheap and easy solution because of our "image". :rolleyes:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
At least he showed up and gave it a go.
That's because he wanted money.

Since when did roadies become tolerable?

Never. That's when.

It's not disrespecting john tomac to point out that the entire sport he came into was just kind of awful. Bikes based on road bikes instead of what they are now, much closer to dh bike/mx geometry. The answers were already there. Your daddy wore spandex and had a mullet on 1.5" tires. You can never change that.

At least half the people reading this are going "well at least his glasses were cool/ahead of his time" not realizing they're just wearing their own recycled version of a mullet. We must break the cycle.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We sure are! Ignoring aerodymanics for perceived "image" gains when the courses get faster and faster seems dumb. The bike industry pushed all kinds of shit on us to "make our bikes faster" and we happily ignored a cheap and easy solution because of our "image". :rolleyes:
I just searched the last 20 years of your posts and I'll be damned...you've loved your skinsuits for all 20 years.

now get out

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Johnny T was the man of men. He did and won everything, BMX champ, MTB champ, raced the road bike in 'yurp.
He just happened to do all this in the "early days", not his fault.

He took the visor off his helmet and wore the gimp suit because he knew it was the fastest, and it was. He did what he did to win, no other reasons. Dude set training precedents that people still use, ask Rich Houseman about Johny T and his training program. He was the original Gwinn. Big reason by ET3 is where he is right now.

Say what you want, but the racing was more real back then than lots of the crap today. I recently saw an insta post from a lady who was all pumped and trumpeting her National Champs DH win. How she had worked so hard for so many years, blah, blah.

It was a Masters women's DH title and SHE WAS THE ONLY RACER! She showed up and had a stoopid slow run (slowest of all the women racing as far as I can tell) and now is all pumped on her stars and bars. Like it's some sort of great accomplishment..... :crazy:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
We got so screwed....I'm going to get my original lawn darts out, throw it straight up and last one to move wins...got I loved being a kid. Yes we did arrows too, and threw lawn darts at each other in a fun game of tag...
I challenge you to a game of Roman Candles fireworks combat. Let's see how many burns in our shirts can we make :D

Actually, I don't. I know I'll lose :D

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
everyone looked stupid in the 80s and 90s....and 2000's, and, well, now we have hoardes of dorky colour matched enduro trail jocks and clones everywhere.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Say what you want, but the racing was more real back then than lots of the crap today. I recently saw an insta post from a lady who was all pumped and trumpeting her National Champs DH win. How she had worked so hard for so many years, blah, blah.
They were trying to kill you.

"but it would have been a more authentic death than the death we have nowadays" :rofl:

marshmellows riding deadly clown bikes with @iRider soundtrack

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
everyone looked stupid in the 80s and 90s....and 2000's, and, well, now we have hoardes of dorky colour matched enduro trail jocks and clones everywhere.
I think the biggest problem with mtb as a marketed sport was that it really started in the 90s and still thought it was the 80s

My biggest issue is the roadie heritage of the bikes far more than the clothes. Coming from BMX that sport had zero appeal to me when I saw the endo machines being sold to do it. The clothes are just low hanging fruit. I mean the home run hits itself on that one.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
They were trying to kill you.

"but it would have been a more authentic death than the death we have nowadays" :rofl:

marshmellows riding deadly clown bikes with @iRider soundtrack

I got my first dirtroadie bike in 1988 and raced throughout the era of that video. That vid had gotta be from a first timer race or something, right? That’s not retwhat all of us looked like, right? Right!?!?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
My pink Dainese safety jacket answers that question conclusively in my case. Thankfully my sponsor at the time also chose a lovely neon pink for his jerseys, so I looked consistently terrible all around.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it's just a weird thing to get hung up on though, yeah, we're dorks riding toys in the woods, and we evolved from roadies and then some kind of dumb moto wannabes, and we'll keep having dumb trends like trail clones <shrug>

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I challenge you to a game of Roman Candles fireworks combat. Let's see how many burns in our shirts can we make :D

Actually, I don't. I know I'll lose :D
Heck yeah forgot about that...man the good ol days...bottle rocket were always good too.

Tomac had his kid take on a gruelling cardio and HIIT style training for MX, watched a whole special on him coaching his kid for better results and it made a big difference...

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I did not make this trip, but we had a big crew make it out to Thunder this weekend.
One of them was air-lifted off of Fort Hill today.

Apparently he got himself out of shape and was bucked on the huge dirt double overshooting the landing.
I don't have all the details, ,but from what I have heard it is bad...
wrist
neck
clavicle
9 ribs and a punctured lung
lower back
pelvis
???
no word on paralysis.

I just needed to...ah hell I don't know what the fuck I need, just totally bent outta shape.

FUCK
Dang, pretty heavy impact. All the best to your buddy

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I just searched the last 20 years of your posts and I'll be damned...you've loved your skinsuits for all 20 years.

now get out
:D

Yep, for going the fastest it is the way to go. Understanding aerodynamics is not that hard. ;)
Would I ride it casually around the woods: hell no, I am not a roadie!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
"Polyester Fashion"

actually was a vid a local guy made. I'll see if I can dig it up.

On another sad note the wife is saying plastic (or anything synthetic, rayon, poly, spandex, etc.) clothes drains the life out of us. So guess who spent all weekend purging plastic clothes and donating them? The wife. I'm next. Yay? So only cotton, wool and silk. Eff me. Good bye all those sweet jerseys from TLD, Fox, Flylow, etc. :(

I'll see if I can post what she used as a reference/data on how she came to that conclusion. Pretty sure it was some podcast from somewhere. And no, it wasn't Joe Rogan. :)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm with you. Wide open bike park tracks have no place in downhill mountainbike racing
You must have seen the Ft. Bill track preview for the worlds. :)

It's like beer. Do you want something that tastes good? Or do you want watered down horse piss? One is easier than the other.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've known spandex is indicative of the lack of a soul forever.

Maybe I just had the order wrong.
There's a dude I used to race with that was allergic to spandex or something in knee pads? He was crazy into what materials he could wear. So maybe it is a thing. Shawnee? You still alive?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"Polyester Fashion"

actually was a vid a local guy made. I'll see if I can dig it up.

On another sad note the wife is saying plastic (or anything synthetic, rayon, poly, spandex, etc.) clothes drains the life out of us. So guess who spent all weekend purging plastic clothes and donating them? The wife. I'm next. Yay? So only cotton, wool and silk. Eff me. Good bye all those sweet jerseys from TLD, Fox, Flylow, etc. :(

I'll see if I can post what she used as a reference/data on how she came to that conclusion. Pretty sure it was some podcast from somewhere. And no, it wasn't Joe Rogan. :)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
WTF? Why can she make that decision for you? Is she riding bikes or doing any kind of sport? If not, I can see why she makes that decision for herself, but why for you?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
WTF? Why can she make that decision for you? Is she riding bikes or doing any kind of sport? If not, I can see why she makes that decision for herself, but why for you?
Well it's more like "choose your battles". It's not worth it to argue about it.

Heck, new wardrobe coming soon! Cuz you told me to.

Edit: I did make a secret stash of clothing that doesn't comply. Shhhh....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Back when Ridemonkey Was Great i would occasionally race dh in a skinsuit with a skinsuit on top of it covered by a hooded bespoke black catsuit, and some Rollerblade kneepads for good measure. We’ve strayed too far from the DH SKI roots that built the sport?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Here we go. I have that dvd somewhere....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Never was lucky enough to wear a skin suit...that's cool I can be that guy...(angels open up heavens light beams shine down and songs of thank God and praise ensue!)

Yeah they have to be careful at hospital with latex and certain tapes with customers...they can have a massive reaction and on a cardiac lung transplant floor that's not a good thing...I listen in on wife's CE modules and we always goes over her ?s with me..like I know lol...I'm just gonna make some shit up....

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
We got so screwed....I'm going to get my original lawn darts out, throw it straight up and last one to move wins...got I loved being a kid. Yes we did arrows too, and threw lawn darts at each other in a fun game of tag...
This reminds me of the time as a kid that I came up with the game "Let's throw rocks at each other's heads and see who can come the closest without hitting them...I'll go first". Man I got in so much trouble...couldn't sit down properly for awhile.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
This reminds me of the time as a kid that I came up with the game "Let's throw rocks at each other's heads and see who can come the closest without hitting them...I'll go first". Man I got in so much trouble...couldn't sit down properly for awhile.
Lmao....ahh the power of youth and blindly trying games that sound fun without considering...

Lmfao...this right here is what made growing up awesome.. yep we would have been friends...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This reminds me of the time as a kid that I came up with the game "Let's throw rocks at each other's heads and see who can come the closest without hitting them...I'll go first".
As kids. Every November we used to play that but with lit fireworks.