Quantcast

Fashion content

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've seen black bears on the outside of bike park berms, but never a cow. Awesome.
Yeah, I’ve seen bears on the trails in Alaska and Whistler.

Farming is huge here. We are on the farmers’ land and sometimes they need to graze the sheep and cows on the zones with the tracks. It’s only for 1 to 3 days in the spring and fall. We make it work just fine.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Bad enough you engage in such behaviour, but to brag about it too?
Douche-bag status confirmed.
i question a lot he brags about.

if you add all the time he would need to do all the things he claims he does, and you add all the time it took to write all those posts of his here and in other forums, it doesn’t add up. his day only has 24h

king of the keyboard warriors

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I'd say that that the title fits really well with what's happening. Maybe we'd have a better chance with "DH MTB content" or something similar?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@Andeh He must be using one of the new folding phones, that’s why. They put all the latest tech in it, but nostalgic people love the fact that it folds and the picture quality reminds the cell phone from their youth.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So on topic, 150mm rear and 170 front was way outgunned on upper and lower hammer at Silverwood ..front held line, rear shock blew out and kept kicking me ass over tea kettle on the kickers.
The rocks, doll heads and massive roots were ok if your skirting top as soon as rythm ceases it's chaos. (Even before blown shock)
Couple chutes we took made it feel like a hard tail, not the bikes issue...it's amazing fast and kills the woods and right fast nasty stuff.

I know where I blew shock up came off one of the drops and crushed a flat landing and rock to rear wheel at same time...this was the hightowers first shake down run.

It held on for it, coil would make it better but travel is shy and needs to be tuned better.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So on topic, 150mm rear and 170 front was way outgunned on upper and lower hammer at Silverwood ..front held line, rear shock blew out and kept kicking me ass over tea kettle on the kickers.
The rocks, doll heads and massive roots were ok if your skirting top as soon as rythm ceases it's chaos. (Even before blown shock)
Couple chutes we took made it feel like a hard tail, not the bikes issue...it's amazing fast and kills the woods and right fast nasty stuff.

I know where I blew shock up came off one of the drops and crushed a flat landing and rock to rear wheel at same time...this was the hightowers first shake down run.

It held on for it, coil would make it better but travel is shy and needs to be tuned better.
Riding stuff like that, on a shorter travel bike definitely takes some getting used to. Have to ride is much different than a DH bike. You really have to work the bike and be aggressive with the trail. Base geometry of the bike helps a lot too. I have a similar bike, in numbers, with 155mm rear and 170mm front, but I have a coil shock. Its capable, but one can't just sit back and ride down the gnarly stuff without thought.

I took my Transition Scout, which had 125mm in the back, to Bromont once. Granted, I had upped the fork to 150mm but man once you got used to riding the bronco, it was a blast. It was also fun to be behind people on dh bikes, and here I am on this stupid small bike. Though, I did end up eating shit and flew into a rocky creek, but at no fault of the bike - thank you wet bridge with a turn on it. :D

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
That gen Hightower (the last one with the high shock mount) has a pretty bad leverage curve. I wouldn't spend much time trying to sort it out. The tan Nomad you got (with the low shock) will be much better sorted. Although you probably would have been better off buying one of the new ones for the price of both those frames.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Riding stuff like that, on a shorter travel bike definitely takes some getting used to. Have to ride is much different than a DH bike. You really have to work the bike and be aggressive with the trail. Base geometry of the bike helps a lot too. I have a similar bike, in numbers, with 155mm rear and 170mm front, but I have a coil shock. Its capable, but one can't just sit back and ride down the gnarly stuff without thought.

I took my Transition Scout, which had 125mm in the back, to Bromont once. Granted, I had upped the fork to 150mm but man once you got used to riding the bronco, it was a blast. It was also fun to be behind people on dh bikes, and here I am on this stupid small bike. Though, I did end up eating shit and flew into a rocky creek, but at no fault of the bike - thank you wet bridge with a turn on it. :D
Yeah had to get light on Pedals and bars let it walk and bounce between thighs and bump it a bit to keep it on track...hit the first rock root etc and send it as far as I can to keep it smooth..you are right it took me a minute to adjust...the section was brutal I think a coil would help a bit with better tuning..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That gen Hightower (the last one with the high shock mount) has a pretty bad leverage curve. I wouldn't spend much time trying to sort it out. The tan Nomad you got (with the low shock) will be much better sorted. Although you probably would have been better off buying one of the new ones for the price of both those frames.
Need 2 bikes aside of the dh rig...one for wife days and mellow that I can hit crap here and there and 1 for hammering down and a little lacking on pedaling ... I got these for smoking deals and swapped my stuff over...
Was looking for a gen 2 HT and do a link and long shock it ..but this came up and it is fast as hell in the right crap...
I am waiting on a ohlins for the v4 nomad and it will be ready...

You are right I did read about the repositioning of shock mount for a better curve and better compliance....I may sell off this and do a newer version...but I'll try a coil first, or at least chat at Ohlins about their thoughts.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Also @bullcrew , stop sending your shocks to Sickline suspension if you don't want them to blow out. Guy drives a Prius and uses a flip phone!

:busted:
Lmao, love witt...needed a little shit talk and laugh ...
I knew it was having issues beforehand , had no time and it would have held if I hadn't cased it as hard as I did...thought I was going for a ride without bike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
what. prey tell. is a AGA man?
A former British colleague told me that this is a brand of cookers that rich guys in the UK have to showcase their status. Similar to their trophy wifes, these are pretty useless for cooking though. Usually the cookers are serviced by an AGA man once a year, and these guys have a reputation to not only service the stove. :brows:

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh. the big fancy stoves/cookers? Sorry. I thought you were typing an acronym.
Yeah AGAs were pretty popular in larger UK houses. and yeah.. .a bit of a status symbol/talking point for dull bastards who probably would need a little help in the marital home from a qualified service engineer ;)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

There's no replacement for a true DH bike.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
name ONE "claim" you question?
Well, you CLAIMED you don't like coffee, but you have not tried varients from all vendors around the world, so how can you really know?

Oh wait, that wasn't Seth arguing with you on that one. Never-mind.

Edit: sorry @canadmos, I could not help myself

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
There's no replacement for a true DH bike.
Agreed..100%

I am glad that I can rip it up pretty decent on it and I still think it was a good purchase...do a ohlins and keep it for a bit . It is a fun as hell bike and I know it can take some nasty abuse and not break as of yet...

Ohlins coil should balance rear a bit..

What are you riding now?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Agreed..100%

I am glad that I can rip it up pretty decent on it and I still think it was a good purchase...do a ohlins and keep it for a bit . It is a fun as hell bike and I know it can take some nasty abuse and not break as of yet...

Ohlins coil should balance rear a bit..

What are you riding now?
I'm heading up to Steamboat today for free DH laps, courtesy of an IMBA event, on my 2021 Gambler, now with a X2 shock. The stock DHX2 always leaked oil so it's on the way back to Fox for an inspection/rebuild.
20230721_073229.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@Lelandjt sounds like a good time...bike looks good not ridden a Scott...but heard good things about em..
Yeah the seal head on dhx2 leak or blow out a fair bit if you abuse em the float X2 is usually good for 4-6 months before internal ring failure and cavitation...
I blew my dpx2 up at silver mountain couple days ago.. sounds like it's blowing mud...so I'll do a full tear down when I get home this weekend...

Have a blast and snag a few shots, I haven't ridden there and you always seem to have badass shots...

Btw obviously shock is getting swapped it, it looks like a light build what's it's curb weight?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Hitting Thunder tomorrow and and I can’t f’n wait. Bringing both my dh and trail bike as there are a few trails that the dh bike is overkill on and it’s a blast to rip the trail bike on. Plus I like having a spare bike if I end up breaking anything. Shuttle laps in North Conway next weekend and Killington the following weekend. Pumped. @Inclag doesn't know it yet, but he’s coming on all the trips with me.