Quantcast

Faster than light travel, here we come.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:nerd:
Next up, Cylons.

Yesterday my son and I were driving through Pennsylvania when we stopped for gas. As I drained my wallet filling the tank, he went to the Quickie Mart and returned with $10 worth of 'poppers'. A popper, for those who don't know, is small paper-wrapped wad of explosive. Throw one down on a hard surface and it cracks with the report of a .22, leaving only a few paper shreds behind. Within about two minutes my son had gone through the entire box. Poppers don't last long in the hands of a teenage boy and that makes them a good analogy for anti-matter — the universe's strange and elusive "twin" version of mass.

For decades physicists have been trying to trap enough anti-matter to perform detailed experiments on its properties. But, like my son's poppers, the anti-matter always disappeared quickly, annhilating itself on first contact with any speck of "real" matter in a burst of energy.

Those elusive, anti-matter hunting days appear to be over. Yesterday, a team of researchers at CERN managed to trap a significant chunk of anti-matter for a full quarter-hour. That's a world record and it means an era of regular anti-matter experiments may be just ahead of us.

Anti-matter came as a surprise to physicists when it was discovered 80 years ago. Back then scientists had only just started getting used to the idea that all matter was made up of a zoo of particles like the electrically charged electrons (negative charge) and protons (positive charge). Then in 1928 Paul Dirac predicted that electrons must have an oppositely charged "anti-matter" twin.

Dirac saw that when an electron meets an oppositely charged anti-electron (called a positron) they would annihilate each other in a flash of energy (light). The positron's existence was verified in experiments just a few years later and scientists soon came to realize that every matter particle had an anti-matter version as well. An entire periodic chart of anti-elements should, in principle, be possible, starting with simple anti-atoms like anti-hydrogen (a positron orbiting an anti-proton). But they quickly ran headlong into a dilemma.

Where is all the universe's anti-matter?

For cosmologists studying the origin of the Universe it was pretty clear that equal amounts of matter and anti-matter must have spewed out from the fireball at the beginning of creation. But the Universe we live in, thankfully, is not made of equal parts matter and anti-matter (if it was, every move we made would lead to terrible explosions). There must be some subtle difference between matter and anti-matter that blew away the "anti-stuff" early in cosmic history, leaving only our matter-dominated Universe.

In our current epoch anti-matter makes only fleeting appearances in man-made particle accelerators or in very high-energy natural events.

The problem for physicists is they have never been able to collect large enough quantities of anti-matter to study it's properties in detail. Anti-elements such as anti-hydrogen just disappear too quickly through collisions with matter. What they needed was a means of producing stable blobs of anti-matter to poke, probe and prod in experiments that would allow us to understand it's properties on the deepest level.

Now, its appears, they have found the means.

Last year scientists at CERN, the main European particle physics laboratory (also the home of the LHC), were able to form anti-hydrogen and keep it around for a whopping two-tenths of a second. That was a world record. They achieved their milestone by finding novel ways to keep the anti-hydrogen from hitting the walls of the container and annihilating itself.

Now the same team (called the ALPHA antimatter experiment) has extended their anti-matter trapping out to 16 minutes and 40 seconds. That is a 5,000-fold increase in confinement time. After decades of getting nothing more than a fleeting glimpse of the stuff, keeping a treasure trove of anti-hydrogen captive for that long is both very impressive and very important.

The strange existence of anti-matter and its radical imbalance as a cosmic constituent is a fundamental mystery that has persisted for eight decades. With the ALPHA team's achievement, we may finally be poised to understand not only the universe that is but also the universe that might have been.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/06/07/137028191/binding-the-universe-s-other-half-anti-matter-trapped-for-15-minutes?sc=fb&cc=fp

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Think of it. There must be Anti-Bacon out there then. So for every slice of Bacon that has ever existed, inversely there must also exist a slice of anti-Bacon in theory. Do the Canadians know about this? I can just see them performing anti-beer experiments or Bacon experiments and getting it wrong and all the Bacon exploding in a flash of Bacon Fusion. Damn Canadians, I am sure they could care less about the Balance of the earth.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Think of it. There must be Anti-Bacon out there then. So for every slice of Bacon that has ever existed, inversely there must also exist a slice of anti-Bacon in theory. Do the Canadians know about this? I can just see them performing anti-beer experiments or Bacon experiments and getting it wrong and all the Bacon exploding in a flash of Bacon Fusion. Damn Canadians, I am sure they could care less about the Balance of the earth.
All I pulled out of your rambling was "Beer... Bacon Fusion"

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
It already exists... it is called BROCCOLI
:thumb:

Just as Bacon can make anything better, broccoli can make anything WORSE.

Bacon = "bad" for you
Broccoli = Health food

Bacon = Animal product
Broccoli = vegetative matter

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It already exists... it is called BROCCOLI
:thumb:

Just as Bacon can make anything better, broccoli can make anything WORSE.

Bacon = "bad" for you
Broccoli = Health food

Bacon = Animal product
Broccoli = vegetative matter
Are you Canadian? They don't make pills for that you know?

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
"Too infinity and beyond!"

What's the "matter" with this thread? Am I supposed to give a $hit for this? Unless it cooks my Hot Pockets or DiGiorno pizzas without a nuker or oven I can't see it being a valuable asset to me at home. There goes another billion dollars to gov't funded nerds and not to help the hungry/homeless/broke ass economy.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
"Too infinity and beyond!"

What's the "matter" with this thread? Am I supposed to give a $hit for this? Unless it cooks my Hot Pockets or DiGiorno pizzas without a nuker or oven I can't see it being a valuable asset to me at home. There goes another billion dollars to gov't funded nerds and not to help the hungry/homeless/broke ass economy.
U dont see scientific progress as a valuable asset to you at home?
Where the hell do u think the computer youre typing this on came from?
Pretty much everything u use in your life is based on thermodynamics, the theorie of computation and information and quantum mechanics.

Anti matter might just be the next big thing...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
It's a matter of time before someone messes up one of these experiments and it leads to the end of the world. Either they will blow up half the earth, open a black hole, or better yet... open up the gates to hell like in Doom.

Note to self: Buy a chainsaw.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It's a matter of time before someone messes up one of these experiments and it leads to the end of the world. Either they will blow up half the earth, open a black hole, or better yet... open up the gates to hell like in Doom.

Note to self: Buy a chainsaw.
Jeebus will come down and correct it. He has way to much time invested in us to give up that easily. As long as the North American Continent is left intact who cares what happens to the other half. As soon as NATO gets back to bombing the Gates to Hell we should be fine.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jeebus will come down and correct it. He has way to much time invested in us to give up that easily. As long as the North American Continent is left intact who cares what happens to the other half. As soon as NATO gets back to bombing the Gates to Hell we should be fine.....
jesus is too busy drinking and fixing sports games

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Pretty sure if you go faster than the speed of light, you actually start to slow down. I think I retained that from college physics.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
U dont see scientific progress as a valuable asset to you at home?
Where the hell do u think the computer youre typing this on came from?
Pretty much everything u use in your life is based on thermodynamics, the theorie of computation and information and quantum mechanics.

Anti matter might just be the next big thing...
I think my computers came from Dell(sorry)and Apple. I see some smart brain that gets paid a few dollars more than most putting his genius mind to work for someone else getting m/b-illions. It's not my fault its easier to pay a few $ for someone else's tech/programs than do it myself.. Hello Comcast ..or whoever your local provider is. Unless you are THE person figuring this stuff out who gives a sheit, leave it up to them. If not and carry on with normal life and be glad you have devices that notifies you of new posts like this useless one.

My point was that you are here now and what more do you want from technology than what is available now to you? I don't get it, i was happy with pagers in the 80's lol. Do you really need to live off of your handheld device and keep your head down reading it? Look up once in a while, if you do and you will see the world revolving around you. If you notice nowadays parents don't even talk to their kids, they text them;vice-versa. I wasn't brought up on quantum/thermo dynamoes or what ever you want to call it and so were billions of people b4 us and I think we were doing just fine, unless, you are looking to make a nuclear/atom bomb to end human population or something of that nature. end of rant.....maybe

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Faster than light bump:
The AP is reporting results from a group of Italian researchers using equipment from the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) that claims they've measured particles traveling at a speed greater than the speed of light.

Nature reports:

The experiment is called OPERA (Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus), and lies 1,400 metres underground in the Gran Sasso National Laboratory in Italy. It is designed to study a beam of neutrinos coming from CERN, Europe's premier high-energy physics laboratory located 730 kilometres away near Geneva, Switzerland. Neutrinos are fundamental particles that are electrically neutral, rarely interact with other matter, and have a vanishingly small mass. But they are all around us — the Sun produces so many neutrinos as a by-product of nuclear reactions that many billions pass through your eye every second.

The 1,800-tonne OPERA detector is a complex array of electronics and photographic emulsion plates, but the new result is simple — the neutrinos are arriving 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light allows. "We are shocked," says Antonio Ereditato, a physicist at the University of Bern in Switzerland and OPERA's spokesman.

If this result were true (it has not been published, and thus not peer-reviewed, yet) then the structure of the world might be very different from what we believe. Einstein's theory of relativity is built on the idea that there is an absolute cosmic speed limit — that light is the thing traveling at this speed is beside the point. Among other things, the existence of that speed limit sets the structure of causality in the Universe.

In other words, that effects follow causes and not the other way around, which is, in general, a good thing. The universe would be a whole lot harder to understand without this link between cause and effect. Think of it as being shot before the trigger is pulled. It's more nuanced than what I am describing here (of course) but breaking light-speed means breaking relativity and casuality as we know it flows from relativity.

So if these results are correct then we might have to go back and start rebuilding pretty much all of modern foundational physics. Are they correct? This kind of thing has been claimed before. My colleague Steve Manly who works with neutrino beams in experiments like the ones described by the AP story puts it this way, "I'm not planning to eliminate the relativity portion of my general physics course anytime soon."

Based on past experience, these results are probably wrong but it sure would be a wild ride if they prove correct.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/09/22/140713791/scientists-report-breaking-the-speed-of-light-but-can-it-be-true?sc=fb&cc=fp

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Science, bitches!

Brace yourselves: Researchers at University of Huntsville in Alabama say they are using "Dilithium Crystals" in a new fusion impulse engine that could cut the travel time to Mars down to as little as six weeks, not the six months it takes now.
Txchnologist, an online magazine sponsored by General Electric, talked to team member and aerospace engineering PH.D. candidate Ross Cortez, he said "The fusion fuel we're focusing on is deuterium [a stable isotope of hydrogen] and Li6 [a stable isotope of the metal lithium] in a crystal structure."
"That's basically dilithium crystals we're using," he said.
Trekkies everywhere shudder in delight.
The researchers say that this type of engine is what NASA needs to propel human beings outside low-Earth orbit, out to places like Mars and even beyond.
Not so fast though, the military will probably get first dibs.
The whole projects is only possible from repurposing military nuclear testing equipment, essentially stuff America used to test nuclear weapons.
From UHA Public Affairs:
[The team is] busy putting together a strange looking machine they’re calling the “Charger-1 Pulsed Power Generator. The huge apparatus, known as the Decade Module Two (DM2) in its earlier life, was used on a contract with the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) for research into the effects of nuclear weapons explosions.
Also, the sponsors of the fusion engine project have ties to military funding—the Aerophysics Research Center on Redstone Arsenal, UAHuntsville’s Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Boeing and Marshall Space Flight Center’s Propulsion Engineering Lab.
The unit may cut down travel time from Earth to Mars, but it will also cut down travel time of a military payload to any particular spot on the planet.
There's still a few kinks to work out though, as CNET points out:
Plenty of obstacles will need to be overcome during the development process. The issue of harnessing fusion is prominent, but there is also the question of turning the power generated by fusion into thrust for an engine. The craft using the impulse drive would also need to be assembled in space, much like the International Space Station.
Finally, of course, the technology has applications far beyond military or space exploration.
“This has been the Holy Grail of energy propulsion technology. The massive payoff is that energy gain, where we get more energy out of the reaction than we put in. This is what everyone has pursued since the time we first started thinking about this,” said Cortez.
He noted, however, that they are far from achieving a "break even" energy propulsion system.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/newest-fusion-engine-is-powered-on-star-trek-like-dilithium-crystals-2012-10#ixzz28RJe8aIP