Quantcast

Fastest home computer

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am getting a little tired of my Pentium 4 with 256mg of ram. Even my workstation slows down from disk contention.

So tell me about your fastest home computer or workstation.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The new i7 chips from Intel pretty much spank the sh*t out of everything else on the market at the moment, including the entire Core2 series.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you aren't looking to drop the $$$ on a new PC, you could spend ~ $35-$40 and replace your 256 stick with 1gig and see a decent improvement in performance. If your MB allows it, go for 2gigs.
I am probably going to do that.

I have done a bunch of tuning on my pc, so more memory is the next step.

dejacky

Chimp
Jul 2, 2006
Another laptop convert here as well. I used to build pc computers for a living and still keep up with the technology, but the day I switched over to a laptop was the best decision I ever made. I'm no longer tied to one location to work and it's made my life much more efficient and healthy.

If you're a hard-core gamer, desktops will always triumph over laptops. You can still game on a laptop, but you start paying a lot of money just for that portability factor. There is a happy medium and today's dual core cpu's really convinced me to make the jump to laptop and it's actually faster at multi-tasking than my old 3D rig. I can also do cad-work, etc.

Also, fastest is relative to the intended purpose of the computer. Going to a dual core cpu like the Intel 2 Duo Core2 will really shine in mult-tasking compared to your old p4.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't really like laptops as a primary-use machine if you're a power user. I suppose it depends on what your usage is.

The fact is, though, you pay more money for less power and laptops are always more fragile than desktops - you have battery issues to deal with as it ages, heat isn't dissipated as well so components degrade faster, there is virtually no upgradability...

It works for some people but it has a lot of downsides. I love my laptop but I'll always have a desktop as well.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I heard its much cheaper to build your own computer and its faster. I being a mac person have never done that but my friends build all of their own computers and they are pretty fast and they built them for like 400$-500$. They spec'd them out too, some of them have 3 monitors.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I heard its much cheaper to build your own computer and its faster. I being a mac person have never done that but my friends build all of their own computers and they are pretty fast and they built them for like 400$-500$. They spec'd them out too, some of them have 3 monitors.

Not with dell basically giving away computers around 500 bucks with a 22" monitor. But you can get way more bang for you buck building your own if you want some high end components.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's rarely cheaper to build your own computer except at the pretty high end. Dell and other big box manufacturers can undercut by a huge amount, especially when you factor in a monitor and an operating system.

There are many, many benefits to building your own but most of them aren't price.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
What BV said. You will not be able to build a budget machine cheaper than Dell et al. They get massive OEM discounts that you can't come close to (think $20 HDDs). Even with the markup, it's generally much cheaper & you get the added benefit of a warranty.