Quantcast

fastest ride home yet

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
had a good solid pace with frequent anaerobic peaks, was frequently in my tallest gear (not too hard at 32x12), and had good timing at all street crossings. time was 33:36 for 10 miles, for a pace of just under 18 mph. christ, what does one have to do to average 20 mph? maybe a road bike will help, but will it help by 10%?

i guess i will find out soon enough. this was the last commute w/ the hardtail/slick combo.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
had a good solid pace with frequent anaerobic peaks, was frequently in my tallest gear (not too hard at 32x12), and had good timing at all street crossings. time was 33:36 for 10 miles, for a pace of just under 18 mph. christ, what does one have to do to average 20 mph? maybe a road bike will help, but will it help by 10%?

i guess i will find out soon enough. this was the last commute w/ the hardtail/slick combo.
Dude. I've done 19mph average on my full sus mt bike. For a 17.5 mile commute. You just need to get your sorry a$$ in better shape. :D

Congrats on the excellent time! :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:

i don't know what's so hard to believe about it. Lighter bike, skinnier tires, bigger gears....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've come to the conclusion that most people have their cyclocomputers horribly out of calibration, are lying or always ride downhill with a tailwind.

18mph on a MTB is excellent especially if you have to deal with traffic.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Westy said:
I've come to the conclusion that most people have their cyclocomputers horribly out of calibration, are lying or always ride downhill with a tailwind.

i don't have a computer, just my odometer of my car.

thanks for the comment, now i won't be crying in the fatty corner all night long.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
<snip>

Or if your computer stops recording stats the second you stop at a stoplight. :D

The day I averaged 19mph it still took just shy of an hour to go 17.5 miles. Goddam stoplights. :mumble:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I did a TT last year...it was an out, and back - put down my best average ever (and no, I didnt have any aero anything)

Distance=20K
Time=0:34:03.8
Avg=21.89

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My younger brother was averaging 22mph the year before last on a ride home from work up until the point he hit the side of a pickup truck that pulled out in front of him.....:) ...he was pissed it ruined his average.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well in the 3 times i've commuted w/ the IF so far, i've not yet broken the 30 minute mark...the best was a 30:50, still a ~9% improvement over my best hardtail mtb time.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Westy said:
I've come to the conclusion that most people have their cyclocomputers horribly out of calibration,
Yeah.. and 18mph with a 32*12 sounds impossible to me unless you're spinning like a mad man!

edit: I actually checked and that sounds about right..

Anyone knows what cadence that would be?

Regardless, 18mph avg on a MTB is good for sure.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
well in the 3 times i've commuted w/ the IF so far, i've not yet broken the 30 minute mark...the best was a 30:50, still a ~9% improvement over my best hardtail mtb time.
Try one gear higher everywhere and pick up the cadence. You might be surprised with the result.

I find that most mountain bikers are smashers and end up pushing a little too big of a gear on the road.

If not lose 5 pounds and that should get you your 51 seconds.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the road bike/mtn bike difference is most definitely perceptible, and gaining 10% wouldn't be out of the question. you need one in your stable... :sneaky:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ooh, that thing's purdy. i've been busy up here in the great white north, no time to read threads :D