Quantcast

Fat 365

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I realized on my ride yesterday that as of Nov 2nd I have been riding this 2019 Salsa Beargrease as my primary 'XC' bike for a solid year now. Not sure why but after last winter I didn't want to put it away and have really been enjoying it. I've got it down to be pretty light at about 27 lbs w/ onyx hubs, dropper, and big brakes...My typical 'XC' rides can be some slow speed sloppy tech so this can be a great tool. Anyone else ride a full time fat?

(Disclaimer: I do have an evil insurgent for bigger days and park, i'm not full stupid).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it was obligatory. i guess my concern with riding something like that year round would be rolling resistance. have you found that to be an issue?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
it was obligatory. i guess my concern with riding something like that year round would be rolling resistance. have you found that to be an issue?
I fully expected it. So this guy is 27.5 x 3.8...tbh rolling resistance has not been a thing, I have it on carbon rims and obviously tubeless so they aren't massively heavy wheels. If I am on a rolling surface I swear it rolls faster than my insurgent, I feel super slow on that thing after coming off of this. The real downside which has always been w/ fat bikes is the bounce, even though these tires are relatively low profile for the fat world you still get a bit of that not having suspension.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I fully expected it. So this guy is 27.5 x 3.8...tbh rolling resistance has not been a thing, I have it on carbon rims and obviously tubeless so they aren't massively heavy wheels. If I am on a rolling surface I swear it rolls faster than my insurgent, I feel super slow on that thing after coming off of this.
have you ever timed it? feeling fast is one thing, but the clock doesn't lie.

The real downside which has always been w/ fat bikes is the bounce, even though these tires are relatively low profile for the fat world you still get a bit of that not having suspension.
i see a lot of guys moon bouncing around the trails here during the summer on full rigid fat bikes, that does not look fun.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not full time, but do ride my Kona Wozo occasionally in the summer. Trail bike is unlikely to get ridden now until after the spring thaw due to ground conditions.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Not full time, but do ride my Kona Wozo occasionally in the summer. Trail bike is unlikely to get ridden now until after the spring thaw due to ground conditions.
Yeah we exist in this weird freeze thaw cycle from basically nov - april so a fatbike is really necessary here during those months. We really don't get much actual 'snow' anymore.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh absolutely, that's definitely part of why I like riding it, i feel less bad riding in wet areas...
so you still feel sorta bad?

around here our trails are kinda one extreme or the other... so rocky that moisture doesn't impact them, or complete mud bog. i still see ruts from fat bikes, they're just wider.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

around here our trails are kinda one extreme or the other... so rocky that moisture doesn't impact them, or complete mud bog. i still see ruts from fat bikes, they're just wider.
I really don't most of the trails I pound in wet weather are trails I am one of the primary maintenance folks on.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I think it goes both ways. In some cases the fat bikes do little damage, but I've seen 5 inch wide ruts from derpheads riding when they shouldn't.

I think it's always funny seeing someone on a fat bike during the summer. I say that as someone who owns one...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think it's always funny seeing someone on a fat bike during the summer. I say that as someone who owns one...
I always said the same, threw some serious hate that way haha...I am not saying it's the correct tool, I am just saying for some reason I have been having a bunch of fun on it. No idea why...

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I ride fat very often, wife has a 24# beargrease my bike is a lot heavier.

I have used mine for everything, really could be my only bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
every time i've messed around with a fat thing, I found myself wishing I was back on regular wheels. I've had a pugsley, Krampus, and Mason B+, and found that I'd rather A)not ride the pugs, B) ride a 5" travel 29er than a midfat Krampus, C) 29er rather than 650b+. I WANT to like them, and maybe if I had a full on kitted out ride like yourself I'd feel different, but I feel like unless you have carbon, tubeless, and high end tires, you're better with regular width tires. Then if you did all that fancy shit with regular tires, you'd be even quicker....

That being said, I keep my eyes out for a stache to ride. A nice carbon frame with light rims set up smartly would be perfect for the trails out here. My enduro frame is overkill.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I do have to say almost every fatbike I ever tried sucked until I got on some very lightweight examples, that changed everything for me. To me the steel and lower end ones are flat out terrible.

Sandwich - You are a New England guy right? To me these things are super regional...

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yep, I'm Boston area....trails are terrible, with lots of fixed 4" rocks and very windy. Minimal chance to pick up speed, maximum chance of wheels getting stopped. That's why I got hooked on 29ers. I can't remember if the Krampus had toobz, but it had alloy rims and shitty tires. It should have been an awesome bike for out here, but the long wheelbase and heavy weight made it roughly equivalent to my Enduro 29er...so I couldn't see the logic of keeping it to go slower.

I will say that riding woody's Full sus fatbike in the snow was eye opening, but when there's traction (in the summer), I just couldn't see the rationale.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I do have to say almost every fatbike I ever tried sucked until I got on some very lightweight examples, that changed everything for me. To me the steel and lower end ones are flat out terrible.

Sandwich - You are a New England guy right? To me these things are super regional...
I've got a lower end Rocky Mountain fat bike which has nice geometry. It is more like a trail bike, compared to some of my friends fat bikes that have geo more like an older XC bike.

What pressures do you ride at? We only use ours in the snow, so very low pressures. One guy went tubeless last year and could not keep the tires on the rims.

One thing I do love about the fat bike, is how it handles fast flat corners. Maybe it's the width of the tires and whatnot, but just lean the thing over and stick a foot out for perfect drifts every time.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am running about 9 psi on these most of the time unless it's really really soft. I might be throwing some tire wiz's in them soon to keep an eye on the pressure more closely. Keeping the tires ON the rims!? My biggest issue is getting them off the rims, that is a real chore on this combo.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yep, I'm Boston area....trails are terrible, with lots of fixed 4" rocks and very windy. Minimal chance to pick up speed, maximum chance of wheels getting stopped. That's why I got hooked on 29ers. I can't remember if the Krampus had toobz, but it had alloy rims and shitty tires. It should have been an awesome bike for out here, but the long wheelbase and heavy weight made it roughly equivalent to my Enduro 29er...so I couldn't see the logic of keeping it to go slower.

I will say that riding woody's Full sus fatbike in the snow was eye opening, but when there's traction (in the summer), I just couldn't see the rationale.
That sounds like a bunch of the terrain outside of the Pittsburgh area, it is similar to MASS in places but the rock is a bit different. 29'ers rule that stuff for sure, that said mine measures more like a 29+ here.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What pressures do you ride at? We only use ours in the snow, so very low pressures. One guy went tubeless last year and could not keep the tires on the rims.
Tubeless I think I was about 5F, 9R on a 4.8 DHF and 4.0 DHR last winter, something close to that...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I really don't enjoy riding my fatbike (2017 Salsa Mukluk) on anything other than snow. I think part of that is down to the fact that the geometry is more old-school xc. But mostly I find they are too fragile and expensive to fix. I just can't bear the thought of dropping over $200 for a new tire if I cut one, and there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that I will cut a tire the second I let the bike run as I would normally. The bounce and the flimsy sidewalls are just no fun on hard terrain. I've seen three of my buddies kill tires and (crabon) rims riding them on not-snow.

I'd rather ride a 29" hardtail SS with DH tires (think of something like the Kona Honzo) if I wasn't going to be riding my FS bike. I've done a trail ride on my 2016 Kona Humu (29" wheels) and it's a lot of fun, but to be a viable trail bike it would need a suspension fork and a lower gear. That will have to wait.

If the conditions are bad enough that riding outside will suck (as is looking to be the case this Thursday - ride night) wet, muddy and cold; I'll just head over to my local indoor skate park with my dirt jumper.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am running about 9 psi on these most of the time unless it's really really soft. I might be throwing some tire wiz's in them soon to keep an eye on the pressure more closely. Keeping the tires ON the rims!? My biggest issue is getting them off the rims, that is a real chore on this combo.
It’s really easy when you figure it out, step on the semi deflated tire while the wheel is on the floor, use your bare foot for maximum traction or your foot will just move in the shoe and not bite. Repeat as necessary for each side. Guy on a group ride had one of those obnoxious plus tires and flatted, he was pushing out cuz a bunch of riders tried to help him get the tire off and they couldn’t. I said lemme try and in 30 seconds it was off. From then he thought I was a wizard.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I really don't enjoy riding my fatbike (2017 Salsa Mukluk) on anything other than snow. I think part of that is down to the fact that the geometry is more old-school xc. But mostly I find they are too fragile and expensive to fix. I just can't bear the thought of dropping over $200 for a new tire if I cut one, and there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that I will cut a tire the second I let the bike run as I would normally. The bounce and the flimsy sidewalls are just no fun on hard terrain. I've seen three of my buddies kill tires and (crabon) rims riding them on not-snow.

I'd rather ride a 29" hardtail SS with DH tires (think of something like the Kona Honzo) if I wasn't going to be riding my FS bike. I've done a trail ride on my 2016 Kona Humu (29" wheels) and it's a lot of fun, but to be a viable trail bike it would need a suspension fork and a lower gear. That will have to wait.

If the conditions are bad enough that riding outside will suck (as is looking to be the case this Thursday - ride night) wet, muddy and cold; I'll just head over to my local indoor skate park with my dirt jumper.
First year I got my fatbike I used it on a couple of summer rides and it Le sucked with our style of trails. Now even if my bike is out of commission for whatever reason I rather trail run than fartbiking. And also I've got the flimsiest fatbike know to mankind.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
It’s really easy when you figure it out, step on the semi deflated tire while the wheel is on the floor, use your bare foot for maximum traction or your foot will just move in the shoe and not bite. Repeat as necessary for each side. Guy on a group ride had one of those obnoxious plus tires and flatted, he was pushing out cuz a bunch of riders tried to help him get the tire off and they couldn’t. I said lemme try and in 30 seconds it was off. From then he thought I was a wizard.
Gone through that w/ several of them sometimes that does NOT do the trick...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I am finding I have zero need for 4.8" tires even in the winter around these parts, I know they are in a necessity in other areas of the country though.
They're just what came on the Wozo's I bought cheap for wife and I, once they wear out I'll reassess.