Quantcast

Fat bike babble

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The trails here have mechanized single track grooming now. Pretty cool device. I really need to get out.
much, if not most, new england single track doesn't lend itself to this kind of treatment thankfully, so many fat riders hit rail trails or snowmobile / xc ski trails. new user group conflicts hurray!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
eBay is your friend...there is a bunch of Cookers on there now at that price point. May have to pick one up myself...

A few Framed on there too. Anyone have knowledge of these? Good/bad/indifferent?
Sq-earl had a framed before his mukluk. Decent bike for the $...heavy, but functioned well and it's 2nd owner is enjoying it as well!

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Man there is no way I'd ever attempt to ride a snow mobile trail. Those dudes are nuts.
That is where I plan on riding mine the most. I only ride the local club trails in my town and the surronding ones. They don't have the sled traffic of the major snowmobiling hot spots around the state. I also consider myself a guest on their trails and stop and get out their way. You can hear them coming quite from far away.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
much, if not most, new england single track doesn't lend itself to this kind of treatment thankfully, so many fat riders hit rail trails or snowmobile / xc ski trails. new user group conflicts hurray!
Man there is no way I'd ever attempt to ride a snow mobile trail. Those dudes are nuts.
yeah, we have it pretty good here. There's two main riding areas. One's a city-owned park, and the fat bikers flock to it like fat kids on cake. they'll go and snowshoe it to pack it down.

The other area is a Federal park that juts down into the city, and has hundreds of miles of xc ski trails, much of it groomed, and dozens of miles of snowshoe trails. They're "pilot-testing" letting fatbikes ride on certain snowshoe trails. Last year was a pretty small figure 8 loop that probably took about an hour to an hour and a half to complete. This year they've added another couple of loops at the North end of the park. Hopefully, within a few years they will open all snowshoe trails to fat bikers... that would be amazing. There's also all the unofficial trails that locals ski/snowshoe/ride/dog walk, so all in all, there's at least a half dozen trails/areas that we can ride. It's pretty good, and it's no surprise it's taking off here.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nice ride this evening. -5°F/-21°C, stayed toasty warm the whole time. So freaking nice to have this shit nailed (winter clothing).
15697542_10154216453138951_2985127556417455903_n.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Anyone know of any sick fatbiking videos?
Yes-ish. This is "as rad as it gets on a fat bike". I find it painful to watch despite Aaron Chase and my neck of the woods bike park. He would slay that on a real bike. 3+ slow-mo repetitions of each move aren't helping either.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Plus, what's better than a fatbike and bike-paths to get to and from Holiday parties?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd fat bike if skiing hadn't been invented yet.

Alt: I fat bike every time I pedal already, cue rimshot.

I'm probably going to give up on the idea because it has rapidly become complicated, unpredictable, and expensive.

The Moonlander does well for what I use it for, notably including both general riding and pulling the Bob trailer for trail maintenance work and other things, and I'm not at the point at which I'm ready to buy a new bike.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@johnbryanpeters - angle grinder.

also, that aaron chase vid had better have been a joke. he was on dirt 90% of the time and there's not a single stretch of trail most people would have thought twice about riding on their normal bikes.

fat bikes are all well and good if you want to go on an xc ride and live where there's consistent snow coverage. otherwise...WHY?

@johnbryanpeters - angle grinder.

also, that aaron chase vid had better have been a joke. he was on dirt 90% of the time and there's not a single stretch of trail most people would have thought twice about riding on their normal bikes.

fat bikes are all well and good if you want to go on an xc ride and live where there's consistent snow coverage. otherwise...WHY?
Because they're flat-assed fun, numbskull. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Lots of fat haters here, and I agree that 90% of fatbike riders are pretty stupid, but having ridden with @w00dy in the snow on his very fancy bucksaw, the most eye-opening thing about fatbikes was that a good one allows you to ride like there's no snow on the ground. Yeah, most riders will ride them in the summer time like a J/A, but to be able to take turns on frozen hardpack snow without slowing down and without risk of slipping out in the corners was absolutely awesome. I just don't know that you can get that on regular tires. Most people don't need 5" buds and lous to get decent winter traction, but a more modest fatbike tire on a nice hardtail would keep you shredding all winter, not just riding along.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Lots of fat haters here, and I agree that 90% of fatbike riders are pretty stupid, but having ridden with @w00dy in the snow on his very fancy bucksaw, the most eye-opening thing about fatbikes was that a good one allows you to ride like there's no snow on the ground. Yeah, most riders will ride them in the summer time like a J/A, but to be able to take turns on frozen hardpack snow without slowing down and without risk of slipping out in the corners was absolutely awesome. I just don't know that you can get that on regular tires. Most people don't need 5" buds and lous to get decent winter traction, but a more modest fatbike tire on a nice hardtail would keep you shredding all winter, not just riding along.
Not in eastern Mass tho. Studs >> fat here.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Are you a member of a fat bike gang?

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Last edited: