Quantcast

Fat kids, goofy parents.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Perhaps there isn't a widespread direct link between kids with poor fitness and goofy parents, but at my kids' school, we're seeing it.

The city is sponsoring a Walk for Wellness challenge that is between schools, as well as between classes within area schools. The idea is to get kids exercising, obviously. The city has a goal that it's trying to reach and kids are being motivated to contribute towards that goal, rah, rah, rah!

The "course" at my kids' school is around one building and then follows the perimeter. Four laps equals about 1/4 mile of walking.

-One day it was unseasonably warm (like 70 degrees) and some goofy parents expressed concern about their kids over exerting themselves. Result: Each kid is now limited to walking four laps at the most on any given day. "Make up days" are being considered where kids could walk more than four laps in a day.

-They started out keeping track of laps by handing out a wooden popsicle stick. At the end of the day kids would turn in their sticks and their laps would be added to the tally. Then a parent complained because their kid allegedly got a splinter from the popsicle sticks. Result: No more popsicle sticks. Instead, kids got stamps on their hands to track laps.

-All was going swimmingly until some more parents complained that they found it difficult to wash the ink stamps off of their children's hands. Result: The kids now wear a piece of masking tape as they walk and the tape is stamped, rather than their flesh.

...to be continued as the goofiness progresses.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not to mention the horrendous allergies that will come to light from the various adhesives found on the back of masking tape.

It's amazing such concepts as "football team," "track," and "recess" are even allowed to exist.

I want to kidnap each and every one of those pampered little blobs and hand them a skateboard.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Don't joke. At many school football and track are gone. They were too strenous, too dangerous or promoted competitions between students. All things that when I went to High School were encouraged, but are now apparently too dangerous to partake in.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Transcend said:
Don't joke. At many school football and track are gone. They were too strenous, too dangerous or promoted competitions between students. All things that when I went to High School were encouraged, but are now apparently too dangerous to partake in.
Not to mention I read an article a while back that talked about banning the use of red pens for correctly, saying that the color red was too glaring and intimidating. The students were supposedly getting "discouraged" by all the red marks on their papers.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Polandspring88 said:
Not to mention I read an article a while back that talked about banning the use of red pens for correctly, saying that the color red was too glaring and intimidating. The students were supposedly getting "discouraged" by all the red marks on their papers.

:rolleyes: NEW RULE: There will be no more "F's," "D's" or "C's" because low grades are also discouraging.

Stop the madness.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Polandspring88 said:
"I got a red 'F' for 'Fabulous'!!!!"

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
Are the parents at your kids school completely our of touch with reality? holy hell.
Well, you might have partially hit the nail on the head with the "holy hell" bit.

It's a private school and it has its fair share of pretty amazing Bible thumpers. I'll have to see if there's a correlation between thumpitude and the goofiness that has transpired.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
OGRipper said:
:rolleyes: NEW RULE: There will be no more "F's," "D's" or "C's" because low grades are also discouraging.

Stop the madness.
Sadly something along those lines was being addressed as well. Apparently its too harsh to give a kid an F, so they decided that they would make up new grades that were not discouraging.

Here is a link about red pens for grading:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041004/news_1m4pens.html

That and talk about converting to a system that is strictly pass/fail. I just find that absolutely absurd.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
justsomeguy said:
Well, you might have partially hit the nail on the head with the "holy hell" bit.

It's a private school and it has its fair share of pretty amazing Bible thumpers. I'll have to see if there's a correlation between thumpitude and the goofiness that has transpired.
I just hope your kid is kickin' butt all over those whiny, splinter-crying chumps.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous. I feel pretty fortunate then, as my school still has all sorts of sports (football, track, lacrosse, etc..) or at least ones you'd normally associate with American high schools. We even have assemblies for our sports teams with all sorts of superfluous school spirit and what not.:p :rolleyes:

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
we had kick boxing at my school... and Boxing... i spent all middle & high school punching other students.. jejeje

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
some_stupid_teacher said:
I never use red to grade papers because it stands out like, 'Oh, here's what you did wrong.' " said Melanie Irvine, a third-grade teacher at Pacific Rim Elementary in Carlsbad. "Purple is a more approachable color.
some_stupid_exec said:
This is a kinder, more gentler education system," Paper Mate spokesman Michael Finn said. "And the connotation of red is that it is not as constructive as purple.
Had this been posted on April 1st, I would have put money on it being a joke. I can't believe this is serious. Red says 'Oh, here's what your did wrong' for a friggin reason... YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG. I'm almost tempted to get a vasectomy now just so I don't ever have to put children through the modern school system.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
justsomeguy said:

You may be on to something here. Stupid parents need to be strung up. Seriously...

Splinters and ink marks are now valid complaints? Do their children live in frikkin' bubbles? They certainly do live in their own little worlds at the very least.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sam_little said:
Had this been posted on April 1st, I would have put money on it being a joke. I can't believe this is serious. Red says 'Oh, here's what your did wrong' for a friggin reason... YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG. I'm almost tempted to get a vasectomy now just so I don't ever have to put children through the modern school system.
Next complaint from insane bible thumping redneck- too much purple ink made my child catch the gay!

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
justsomeguy said:
I'll be able to tell you that next year because my kid is going from private to public school. The thumpers at her current school aren't too bad, though there is a fair share of hypochristians about. I can honestly say that most of those parents are horribly out of shape, whereas the kids are not doing too badly.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
MisterClean said:
I'll be able to tell you that next year because my kid is going from private to public school. The thumpers at her current school aren't too bad, though there is a fair share of hypochristians about. I can honestly say that most of those parents are horribly out of shape, whereas the kids are not doing too badly.
Aren't you from O.C.? To think that the public schools aren't infested with zealots is just stupid. I grew up down there and it was re-goddamned-diculous how uber religous some people are. There are also lots of fatkids to pick on in public schools, so thats something for your kids to look forward too.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Last year, at a private highschool, they had laccrosse, golf, football, etc. They also had a whitewater kayaking/rock climbing class. I did it. We went on trips to the kern and joshua tree. You had to do there mandatory sports until 5:30 each day. I wrote a proposal, and I was able to include my mountain biking as a sport, but only for a 1/3 of the year. There was so much homework after school, and their sports, which made finding time for biking hard.

That's why I go to a charter school now.

I haven't really noticed (although heard about) the BS you speak of. I would blow up in theses peoples' faces. These things are unbelieveably rediculous.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
justsomeguy said:

you mean you are PAYING for your kids to go to this school?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I am laughing at every post in this thread... I am lucky to teach in a RURAL (more cows than students) district... most of the parents are pretty layed back and hands off... most of our sports teams do well, and there is minimal intrusion by parents into our teaching, and sports. But as urban sprawl happens we are seeing more and more of the KNOWITALL A$$HOLE parents who are either entirely to sheltering, or demand more for their child than any other child in the school because they chose to move to our district from RICHA$$ district A, so they should be treated better.

well the influx of these people has brought out militant Bible thumping and scripture quoting from the oldtime families, cause the new people are bringing in all those heathenistic ways... :rolleyes:
I smell a war brewin:rofl:

Justsomedude, I wish you luck... one thing I will say is WE know our kids have no problem being active and excercising,(I have seen your son in the vids) and my daughter at 20 months is super active, so much so that she wears me out!!!

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
geargrrl said:
you mean you are PAYING for your kids to go to this school?
Absolutely.

Just because there are some wacky parents doesn't mean that the education that my kids are getting isn't FAR superior than what the local public schools offer. An average 18:1 pupil/teacher ratio and an advanced curriculum is worth the expense, even though we have to deal with some goofy parents. Fortunately, my kids don't rely on school for physical activity.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Are you in California? The nuttiness you describe just *reeks* of California. :D
Guilty as charged.

It's a relatively small price to pay to not be trapped in (insert lameass state of choice here).

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Jesus, my school would die without sports. That's all we do here. That is a good thing about boarding school. The people that work here and just.... here. Our parents really don't have any say on what we do, and if they do, that's to bad.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
SkaredShtles said:
Are you in California? The nuttiness you describe just *reeks* of California. :D
S.S. I think you left out the fact that Colorado is the best state ever. :love:

;) we haven't seen any of those statements from you in a while. :p

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Soccer during recess was cancelled for my son's first grade class - "too competitive." I call BS on that. God forbid we should raise uncompetitive children and release them into the corporate world where such things as competition and a drive to succeed are frowned upon.:rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Anyone ever get the feeling that some day China is going to roll over and crush our lazy asses?

We're getting to be a nation of pussies.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
justsomeguy said:
Absolutely.

Just because there are some wacky parents doesn't mean that the education that my kids are getting isn't FAR superior than what the local public schools offer. An average 18:1 pupil/teacher ratio and an advanced curriculum is worth the expense, even though we have to deal with some goofy parents. Fortunately, my kids don't rely on school for physical activity.

If my schools pulled that kind of crap, I'd call the lazy, whiny over protective parents on to the carpet. It really pisses me off when a few overbearing parents get in the face of admin to "protect their kids" and then wreck it for us normal types.

J

JRB

H8R said:
Anyone ever get the feeling that some day China is going to roll over and crush our lazy asses?

We're getting to be a nation of pussies.
I think they will need to get over being oppressed to hell before they do that. :think: