Quantcast

Fatbike shenanigans in the powder

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hmm, seems more like a foot of snow where it was supposed to be 3 claimed. Everyone has these bikes up here, and I'll have one too, but they don't work in some conditions, like deep fresh snow, some crust situations, etc. They do work great if it's gotten just a little hard, sun baked, if it's been packed down just a bit, chunky snow, etc. The fat bikes work great up here because a lot of trails are packed down just a bit, and any normal bike would sink right through, even on a semi-packed surface. They aren't using them for trailblazing as much as you'd think.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Hmm, seems more like a foot of snow where it was supposed to be 3 claimed. Everyone has these bikes up here, and I'll have one too, but they don't work in some conditions, like deep fresh snow, some crust situations, etc. They do work great if it's gotten just a little hard, sun baked, if it's been packed down just a bit, chunky snow, etc. The fat bikes work great up here because a lot of trails are packed down just a bit, and any normal bike would sink right through, even on a semi-packed surface. They aren't using them for trailblazing as much as you'd think.
I rode off the side of the road into the ditch, out here we have no shoulders so it drops off a couple feet right at the fog line. When I got off the pedals I sank to my nuts.

I normally ride on groomed trails and two tracks but I was just goofing around today. I was just really trying to test the best tire psi for the worst conditions possible. I have been able to blaze some pretty deep powder if I have enough of an incline and enough forward momentum.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, you literally need one of those to ride around on just the sidewalks here in the winter! Super-chunk.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
That bike looks fun as hell! You should build a jump up to that log. If you crash on the landing then it wont hurt as much cause of all the snow :thumb: