Quantcast

Favorite guitar players

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
others who i've not yet had the pleasure of shooting (but hope to, one day).

marc ribot
steven r smith
johnny marr (though he's lost it a bit)
maurice deebank
chris heazlewood
david mitchell
gareth lidell
the two dudes from Tar w/ long polish names
east bay ray
duane denison
howe gelb

i'm sure there's more...at least dead people to add.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm goin' with the standards:

Vai
Satriani
SRV
Eddie
Hendrix
Lifeson
Gilmour

And if you go off the beaten track a bit, Steve Stevens is insane. And Tommy Shaw is no joke on the gee-tar. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones who come to mind at the moment.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
i really hope i just missed it and somebody put him

Yngwie Malmsteen, hes disgustingly good, better than Vai in my opinion.

if you play electric guitar with a symphonic orchestra you have to be good! : P

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
i really hope i just missed it and somebody put him

Yngwie Malmsteen, hes disgustingly good, better than Vai in my opinion.

if you play electric guitar with a symphonic orchestra you have to be good! : P

Sorry dude but Malmsteen is a hack. All he did was take classical pieces by Paganini and transcribe them to guitar at a faster speed. Speed does not make a good guitar player.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
If you need to listen to that "neo-classical" stuff, start with either Jason Becker or Mary Friedman. Those guys ripped. I wore out several Cacophony cassettes back in the day.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Sorry dude but Malmsteen is a hack. All he did was take classical pieces by Paganini and transcribe them to guitar at a faster speed. Speed does not make a good guitar player.
I don't know if hack is the best description, he's redundant in his movements and his ?less than dynamic? tone (farted out single coil on the bridge)... but his advanced technical capabilities w/arpeggio sweeps and triads are irrefutable, no matter how fat his fingers get or how big is belly bulges? he?s an original.

This kid has spent too much time in his room with the rewind button (he's cleaner than YM)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
serious question:

do the people who adore guitar 'virtuosos' (ie, satriani, malmsteen, etc) also like their vocalists to have a 6 octave range and sing as many notes as possible in the shortest available time span?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
serious question:

do the people who adore guitar 'virtuosos' (ie, satriani, malmsteen, etc) also like their vocalists to have a 6 octave range and sing as many notes as possible in the shortest available time span?
The fact that you used Satriani and Malmsteen in the same context indicates that you have not heard much Satriani. Satch's music is about so much more than speed.

And I really don't understand your attempt to compare guitar with vocals. It doesn't make any sense at all.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The fact that you used Satriani and Malmsteen in the same context indicates that you have not heard much Satriani. Satch's music is about so much more than speed.

And I really don't understand your attempt to compare guitar with vocals. It doesn't make any sense at all.
:stupid:

Satriani can play fast, no doubt. But my favorite stuff of his is more mellow and just very well played.

I would pair Malmsteen with Dragonforce before I lumped him with Satch.

<edit>
<- AWESOME!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Malmsteen doesn't have the feel and taste Satriani does...Best lesson I have ever learned as a guitar player was from him. He can hang one note a full measure; meaning you don't have to always shred ALL the time. He'd be cruising along, and then hit a smooth spot and hang on a note for a measure or two.....

fvcking awesome!

giantkenny

Chimp
Jan 26, 2008
Malaysia
:imstupid: damn right. haha.

still, eric johnson's guitar playing and vocals still the way to go for me. can't get enough of his Venus Isle album :busted::banana:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal

is that weird?
No. I was actually going to post the same. For all you can joke about his appearance, he is a great musician and I believe the guitar is his main instrument. I have an mp3 of him playing honkey tonk woman live. :shocked:

Puts on an awesome show as well.

I always liked the alternate tunings Thurston Moore used on some of his guitars.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
this guy can play, and he's a bit of a screwball. kinda reminds me of Pen of Pen and Teller
he has a tune called Zoiks if you can find it on your favorite mp3 site it's worth the download.