Quantcast

Favorite tunes while riding?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
When I ride by myself, I usually listen to some tunes on a el cheap-o walmart mp3 player. Just wondering who else enjoys this and what tunes you listen too when riding?

I listen to wide variety of tunes depending on the ride. For long climbs, I like some more chill pace music like Theivery Corporation, Beck's sea change and mutations albums, My Morning Jacket, a good 70's dead show, radiohead's OK computer, flaming lip's yoshimi, Beta Band, Ryan Adams (NOT bryan adams damnit!), Kruder & Dorfmeister, and Super Furry Animals to name a few.

On fast descents or agressive sections of trails, definitely like something to really get the blood flowing. Some of my favorites would be Yonder Mtn. String Band, a good upbeat mid-90's phish show, Medeski Martin & Wood, Danger Doom, The Shins, Dinosaur JR., The Posies, Railroad Earth, Leftover Salmon, Del McCoury, Lake Trout, Mark Farina, Pearl Jam, Ween, Widespread Panic and a ton of other crap.

If you don't ever listen while riding, what do you listen to pre or post ride?

*Note: Please have your mp3 players turned down to a low enough volume that you can hear people coming up to pass you etc. There is nothing more annoying then coming up behind someone and trying to yell at them that you are passing but their music player is SO loud they cannot hear you. Besides, excessive volumes on headphones is the number one cause of hearing loss. As a musician with some hearing damage, I can tell you how much that sucks. :wonky2:

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
animal collective, the go team, the firey furnaces, the flaming lips, some rad techno, perhaps a little NWA or some gizza a little something upbeat usually but mudnsweat im surprised at your good taste in music I thought most bikers listend to ****. actually not true most bikers I know have at least some musical taste

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
My trusty 6 year old slimline CD player croaked so now I listen to my own fatboy panting when I ride. :(

Need to buy me one of them MP3 players and get my 60GB of files transferred. You'd be surprised though, that you can actually have 60GB of ABBA on an mp3 player without having duplicates. ;)

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Bearmntpicnic said:
the flaming lips

Nice, I've got a treat for you. I got an advanced copy of the new lip's album "At War With The Mystics" recently. I'll gladly hook up a copy for you if you want. I don't think it hits stores until april. I am very very pleased with this release.

hurlykid6900

Chimp
Oct 23, 2005
C-Ville Rep yo
Yo hook me up with some new flamin lips stuff. They are chiller. I would be extreamly pleased to have anything new from them. sometimes rock Go-team or decemberists, also the shins and tilly an the wall. Gota rock the gangsta rap while snowbizzeling, just makes those corked 1080s feel all the radder.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
hmm..on long climbs i like some Drop Kick Murphy's,Bad Religion,maybe some Sublime,and then on my long downhilly sections i like some NOFX, or even better Though Riot..HeLla YeAh

....the only 1080's i do are in my computer chair

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
very rarely listen to music while riding, when i do it's a mix up of remixed jazz (verve remixed) trip hop (gorillaz, tricky, lovage, lao&bushwacka,etc.) and underground, old school hip hop (pharcyde, MF doom, greyboy, dangermouse, atmosphere, Quasimoto etc) a little bassa brava always helps set the tempo on long rides too.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
noname said:
very rarely listen to music while riding, when i do it's a mix up of remixed jazz (verve remixed) trip hop (gorillaz, tricky, lovage, lao&bushwacka,etc.) and underground, old school hip hop (pharcyde, MF doom, greyboy, dangermouse, atmosphere, Quasimoto etc) a little bassa brava always helps set the tempo on long rides too.

Nice, we listen to a lot of similar stuff actually.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
hmm I wonder where matt got that taste in music GRRRR music theif actually I dont care but your welcome listening the shins and the decemberists would blow biking and its the GO-team! and no 1080s for you lame O but yeah Im glad you dont listen to **** music any more haha

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
It's....it's almost like he's trying to communicate with us! Has someone fallen into a well?! Does timmy have a compound fracture of the lower mandable?!

Pre-ride drive:
- Journey
- The Libertines
- Autolux
- Arcade Fire

Pre-ride unpack:
- Against Me "Disco Before The Breakdown"
- Hot Water Music "God Deciding"
- Pretty Girls Make Graves "By the Throat"
- Guns n Roses "Welcome to the Jungle"

Post-ride drive:
- The Shins
- Interpol
- Elliot Smith
- Barry White

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
VaNIlLin81 said:
hmm..on long climbs i like some Drop Kick Murphy's,Bad Religion,maybe some Sublime,and then on my long downhilly sections i like some NOFX, or even better Though Riot..HeLla YeAh

....the only 1080's i do are in my computer chair
oh shut up bryan you know you like ashley simpson and backstreet boys while climbing. and of course techno while downhilling cause that really gets you pumped to go fast.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
I haven't tried riding with Music, but I will this season...girlfriend bought me a 128mb Rio mp3 player for Xmas....doesn't hold much music but if it gets smashed, no big loss. I have a 20g iPod but that's not going trailriding with me!

What would I listen to? Not real sure, anything indy that resembles NoEfx, the Misfits, etc. Also like trance...some of Oakenfold's stuff is good, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyke, etc.

And for the record, I would climb Ashlee Simpson as well, and say her sister's name when I'm almost finished, to see how long I can hang on.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I need to buy a really cheapy player that I wouldn't mind falling on. I'm tempted to buy a big iPod for the storage, but really I'd need that AND a something like an iPod shuffle or Nano for on-the-trail antics.

F*ck it, I need one of everything.

Oh and is it bad form, a no-no, a "we need to respect hikers and their granola trail mix" baloney nonsense, if I pull up to the trailhead with my stereo blasting and all the windows open?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
HotButterToppin said:
Oh and is it bad form, a no-no, a "we need to respect hikers and their granola trail mix" baloney nonsense, if I pull up to the trailhead with my stereo blasting and all the windows open?
So long as you're blasting phish, you're probably okay :rofl:

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
hustle man thats how we do. ohh and anyone buying bike parts pm me since I can get you **** for cheap like 10 bucks cheaper than anywhere ealse the shop I work at is hella tight.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
HotButterToppin said:
You're alwyas trying to sell something. ;)

I bet you bought it for $4 and would sell it to me for $89.99 even with a friend-discount. ;)
Friend!?!? j/k:rofl: Everyone's gotta make that ca$h!

It was a quick replacement for the one I thought I lost. I got it for $86..selling for $86 and I doubt you can find one cheaper. they got for $110+ in stores and $95 online.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Birds chattering in the bushes, wind whistling through my helmet, the crunch of leaves, rocks, and dirt under tires, the dull clunk of a smooth shift, the gentle clatter of chain over nylon derailluer cogs, and conversation with good friends at each trail intersection - my favorite riding tunes.