Quantcast

favorite urban tire?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
arrow launch on the back. ran a 24" for a long time and it never wore out. great urban tire. now I'm on 26ers and I have a launch rear and a holy roller on the front. best combo I've ever run. seems to work well in the dirt, ramps and concrete...

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Mr Tiles said:
arrow launch on the back. ran a 24" for a long time and it never wore out. great urban tire. now I'm on 26ers and I have a launch rear and a holy roller on the front. best combo I've ever run. seems to work well in the dirt, ramps and concrete...

I ran the same combo for a long time on my gimp, it worked out great.

I'm currently running Kenda K-RAD's front and rear, they work great two.

Here are a few you can't go wrong with

Arrow Launch: Great sturdy tire, a little heavy, but still way lighter than a Maxxis Hookwarm. Better for street/park then in dirt, but still a great dj tire
Maxxis HolyRoller. Pretty light, hooks up great on dirt, park, street and wood.
Kenda K-RAD Same discription as above, but it weighs a little less.
DMR Moto. Hard to track down, but none the less a really good tire for street, park, and trails.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
i run a holyroller up front for a little grip on the dirtjumps and a halo twin rail in the rear--its got rails to roll on concrete and for park, but digs in some on dirt berms etc.

i realllllllllllllllyyyy like this setup

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
yah I run k-rads right now and I'm not too fond of them. They seem to track sketchy for me on dirt, plus the sidewalls are definitely too thin for urban riding (in my opinion). I like the light weight, but I've had my tire slide off a brick wall with a rough edge and they go flat in a heartbeat. I was already thinking of the holy rollers and launches, so maybe I'll just go ahead and try them out. I was kinda hoping someone out there rode the new Kenda Kiniptions tho cause I'd like to know how they handle....anybody?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Twisted rides the Kiniptions, He said the tread runs further around on the sidewall, and makes them stiffer then K-RADS. I was actually thinking one a try for my rear tire. If you look in the "24 inches of love" thread, check the last page, he talks about them there.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Here's the Quote from Twisted:
I've been using the bike on the hard packed indoor bmx track. I had my holy rollers folding over when I would corner hard, unless I ran the pressure at 80lbs, I'd assume the k-rads would be about the same. The side walls of the kiniptions are much stiffer due to the tread on them. They have been working perfectly and roll very fast. For softer dirt the k-rads or holy rollers would be better, but for hard pack and concrete the kiniptions are fantastic, not to mention they are half the weight of a hook worm.

Oh, they look really cool too.
Sounds pretty convincing to me.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Holly Rollers all the way man. I've been running 'em since they came out and you can't go wrong. Street, park, dirt, even some trail action, they do it all, and they do it awesome!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Holy Rollers are great, I run on my BMX, but I love my DMR Motos the best. I ride street most of all, then DJ. If you ever rode BMX and liked the original Primo V-whatever-they-were (not the monsters) tyres you'll love the Motos.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Changleen said:
Holy Rollers are great, I run on my BMX, but I love my DMR Motos the best. I ride street most of all, then DJ. If you ever rode BMX and liked the original Primo V-whatever-they-were (not the monsters) tyres you'll love the Motos.
I've wanted to try those for awhile now, but I can never find them here in the states.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
K rads blow. They would be sweet tires if the side walls werent so damn thin. Not abuse friendly at all. I never made one last more than a month. Holy rollers are nice, but the dont hook up well if you ride indoor at all

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I run Compounds on my BMX and they're really fast. Those tires at high pressure w/ a brakeless bike made for an interesting combo.

rcoh

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
I also think DMR Motos are the best tyre for street riding, although I have torn the sidewalls a couple of times. I ride a lot more street than DJ. If you ride more dirt than street then the Moto Digger is also very good, it grips dirt better than Motos but still rolls well on street .