Quantcast

FBM "Numero Uno" 24" cruiser

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
says theyve got moar big bike action coming. i might have to hold off on a new wtp avenue in that case

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
(FBM Albert Street)

. . . maybe they built this bike for Lou Bickle !!!!!!!!! gettin outta tha clink ????

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'd buy a short back end, mid length front (enough for x's & barspins), rim brakes, 24 inch bike.

20inch frames have short as fvck back ends, where's the 24's?

Lovin' the old school pics!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
that 24 is huge.
yeah, bigger than these:

Avent Factor Pro Cruiser XL - 22″

Brew XXXL Cruiser - 22.2″

Crupi Pro XL Cruiser - 22.8″

Alliant Pro XL Cruiser - 22.9″

maybe not as big as this.... heh heh:

THICK 'Big Boy'
http://www.thickbikes.com/Big_Boy_24_Inch_Cruiser.html

"This is a 24" cruiser built specifically for a big guy. The frame rivals the FKNBKE in wheelbase length and overall size. Everything is scaled up a notch as a result. My goal was to try and make the bike look as normal as possible, from a distance, anyway. Up close I am sure it is going to seem huge to most people. If I told you the top tube length you probably wouldn't believe me. Its really long."

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
is this thing legit or is it just a joke. or a tt typo??? I know its going on in other parts of the country and some dudes here are ripping, but I always wondered why there wasn't many or any cruisers in the trail scene. This companies added influence might push more guys to try such a nostalgic set up. haha

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Funny, years ago when I was riding cruiser and saw Lue Bickel in a vid riding a cruiser I called FBM to see if they would do a burly cruiser (at the time only race-spec ones were available). They didn't have any interest - go figure.

Those Kos pics are rad. I'm pretty sure those are 26" cruisers btw (http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/mongoose/11667). And Corona (where that berm pic is shot) was supposed to be a crazy-ass track BITD.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . but I always wondered why there wasn't many or any cruisers in the trail scene. This companies added influence might push more guys to try such a nostalgic set up. haha

there used to be a quite a few cruisers at 9th street trails in austin in the mid 90's. that's when i got my Widowmaker. there was also a pretty huge scene of people who rode BMX cruisers for general cruzing from the late 80s up through the mid 90s--acid munching rockers, old hippies, bike freaks of all kinds. riding Austin on Cyclecrafts, ELF, GT, Boss, Torker, etc. bmx cruisers were THE urban single speed cruising bike to have. little later in the 90s, S&M Challengers and Standard Trail Boss 24" were popular.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
there used to be a quite a few cruisers at 9th street trails in austin in the mid 90's. that's when i got my Widowmaker. there was also a pretty huge scene of people who rode BMX cruisers for general cruzing from the late 80s up through the mid 90s--acid munching rockers, old hippies, bike freaks of all kinds. riding Austin on Cyclecrafts, ELF, GT, Boss, Torker, etc. bmx cruisers were THE urban single speed cruising bike to have. little later in the 90s, S&M Challengers and Standard Trail Boss 24" were popular.
yeah you're right. Your area is pretty much the place I envision having a lot of cruiser culture. Its funny, back in the late 80's early 90's when i was racing as a youngster I always loved the cruiser look and wanted one but already having the bike that I had, it was nearly impossible for me at the time to just get my mom to buy me another bike or even use the paper route money to get one. so i just stuck it out with the Elf 20 inch. Quit riding for 10 years or so and 26 mtb was here. Been on a 24 cruiser since last march and lovin it!!! dont know why it took so long. I think some guys on here had some influence but regardless, its just a fun set up and just wonder if you'll see more bmx cruisers in months or years to come riding street and trail???

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I switched to a cruiser from my 20" in '84. A couple of my buddies did too, but most of our crew stuck to the 20s. I've had a cruiser in my stable ever since.....

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I'm kinda disappointed because of that tt lenght (23.5 on a bmx style frame is NOT comparable to say a Cannondale Chase) and the long cs...looks really well built though.

do note that FBM make custom frames, I mailed them a while ago and they were willing to make a 24" one..

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
I'm kinda disappointed because of that tt lenght (23.5 on a bmx style frame is NOT comparable to say a Cannondale Chase) and the long cs...looks really well built though.
that is a custom frame.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
ha not me, i'm not on bmxboard. i was just quoting fbm here. that frame has a parallelogram front end. 1 less triangle!!:think:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
serb posts on this board from time to time, in fact he posted some beautiful pics from Ted's jam a week or 2 ago on here.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
14 in bb height ? yuck!!!

from http://fbmbmx.com/news.php?newsid=1952

Your eyes are not deceiving you, there's an extra 2" of material on the bottom of the leg...just for the heck of it.
Hot off the welding table, another crazy cruiser custom build. I can't wait to see how these dudes set these up. I know this one has Profile SS cranks waiting for it. It'll certainly be interesting to see where they are headed in the parts department.

Check the Specs:
Head Tube: 75 degrees
Seat Tube: 70 degrees
Top Tube: 22"
Chain Stay: 15"
BB Height: 14"
Standover: 6"

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Wow is all I can say. That is more of a bad wow... but maybe it could work for someone like Herman Munster. :-)