Quantcast

Fear the Brown Man!!!!!!!!

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
Wait, what?

TAKING 401ks????

Don't you think it's a little weird that all this concern about 'big government' happens almost to the day, a democrat takes presidential office? Yet the patriot act, a falsely packaged war, repeal of habeus corpus, and straight up bald faced wire tapping of US citizens never got these fvckwits off their couches with their "big government concerns."

Most of us don't think it's weird actually. We recognize it for the veiled bullshlt it really is. A black guy democratically elected from the party we didn't vote for calling the shots for 4 years. And then comes the fiction about kenyan birth, involvement with the weathermen and everything else they can make up to undermine the american system they claim to hold so dear.
I'm not sure what you mean about the concern over big government happens almost to the day Obama took office. Perhaps you've been watching too much mainstream news.
Weatherman? What do you mean by that?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20603037&sid=aHFCE999fWR0

Because of inflation, your annuities will depreciate. I could be wrong but it seems like a quick way for the government to get $3.6 trillion.

Last edited:

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
They are turning a blind eye to it. By not condemning it they are condoning it. You're either for racism, or against it.
Do you think that tea partiers condemning racism would get as much coverage if any, as the tea party apparently condoning racism?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I take it then, that you agree with the poll. But also agree that hate and extremist groups represent you? That's the demonetization I was referring to.
Are you paying attention at all? WTF have I ever written that would give the idea that I agree with any of the extremist groups?

Do you think that tea partiers condemning racism would get as much coverage if any, as the tea party apparently condoning racism?
It would certianly be news if they did.

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
Are you paying attention at all? WTF have I ever written that would give the idea that I agree with any of the extremist groups?
I assumed you also meant yourself because you said that the SPLC report proves what people already think and/or know- and in the article it mentions a poll which says ;
(Rage on the Right, The Year in Hate and Extremism By Mark Potok)
Sixty-one percent of Americans believe the country is in decline, according to a recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll. Just a quarter think the government can be trusted. And the anti-tax tea party movement is viewed in much more positive terms than either the Democratic or Republican parties, the poll found.
and goes on to say that these issues are represented by extremists. I'm not calling you an extremist, just pointing out the upside down logic of the SPLC.

Or do you not view the tea party in positive terms? I agree polls can be deceiving etc.. but it's odd that the SPLC would choose to include this in their article.

Last edited:

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007

It would certianly be news if they did.
I think you have too much faith in the mainstream media. I'm not saying that everything they say is lies, but simply that things are sometimes misrepresented.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm not sure what you mean about the concern over big government happens almost to the day Obama took office. Perhaps you've been watching too much mainstream news.
Weatherman? What do you mean by that?

The tea parties. Where were they when civil liberties really WERE getting trampled on by the federal government? Where were they when the federal goverment really WAS overstepping it's spending boundaries on frivolous crap like outsourcing to more expensive contractors? These things were going on under a rebublican president and where were they? Nowhere. They came about last year only after the new guy and his congress stepped in. That's what I mean. The few genuine concerns were only being brought up by a little known Ron Paul type fringe. But the minute the republicans step down, Dick Army and Fox news latch on like ramoras.......the tea party movement is born. Impeccable timing.

You don't know who the weathermen were? Remember all that talk about obama's association with terrorists? Ayers? That was the weathermen. And it was just a tactic to discredit a democratically elected cheif executive. Again, just because they don't like a democrat. If these were real concerns, geitner would have been the one to make a big deal about.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20603037&sid=aHFCE999fWR0

Because of inflation, your annuities will depreciate. I could be wrong but it seems like a quick way for the government to get $3.6 trillion.
I read that article and get a very different impression that you do. What exactly is the motivation for the government to liquidate private holdings to turn what......a profit? They're trying to save people's asses.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They have no chance anymore, because they have been hijacked by the GOP.
Okay.

This sentence makes me realize you get it. At least a little bit.

THESE are the douchebags that most people have a problem with. Not so much the ron paul freaks, but the morons who latched onto them, taking over their mantra, but who are nothing more that idiots who don't like democrats.

You and I at least agree on this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The tea parties. Where were they when civil liberties really WERE getting trampled on by the federal government? Where were they when the federal goverment really WAS overstepping it's spending boundaries on frivolous crap like outsourcing to more expensive contractors? These things were going on under a rebublican president and where were they? Nowhere. They came about last year only after the new guy and his congress stepped in. That's what I mean. The few genuine concerns were only being brought up by a little known Ron Paul type fringe. But the minute the republicans step down, Dick Army and Fox news latch on like ramoras.......the tea party movement is born. Impeccable timing.
see this thread:

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230186

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
Okay.

This sentence makes me realize you get it. At least a little bit.

THESE are the douchebags that most people have a problem with. Not so much the ron paul freaks, but the morons who latched onto them, taking over their mantra, but who are nothing more that idiots who don't like democrats.

You and I at least agree on this.
Okay, I understand now and I agree with you I suppose. Except the part about Ron Paul freaks. Ron Paul rocks.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I hope you don't think that evaporating 401 K's are funny.
:shocked:

Ok, please, please, PLEASE don't give anyone financial advice. Ever. Seriously.

1) "Annuities" are fixed-income insurance vehicles. You buy the annuity for a certain amount of money, and then get a monthly income (sometimes indexed for inflation, or sometimes not).

2) 401(k)s are employer-sponsored tax-deferred retirement accounts that usually offer a variety of different investment options (stocks, bonds, money market accounts, possibly precious medals, etc). Your performance is based solely on the investment vehicles you choose.

They are NOT one and the same. Furthermore, it all depends on *when* you purchased your annuities; for example, if you'd purchased them 5-6 years ago when the fed funds rate was 5% and before the stock market tanked, you're doing GREAT right now. Your returns would be far above what they would've been if you'd left your money in the market. However, if you purchase today and inflation goes back up, yes you could get hurt. That's why it's called an investment instead of a savings account.

Lastly, I don't know about you, but my 401(k) is UP compared to 5-6 years ago. I've been investing heavily throughout the downturn, and now that the DOW is back up to ~11,000 I'm probably breaking even at worst (too lazy to figure out my real rate of return). Furthermore, stocks often perform well in a controlled inflationary environment. Profits go up, so stocks follow. Precious metals are more of a hedge against the possibility of future inflation, but perform quite poorly when compared to *actual* inflation.

Regardless, YOU are responsible for your investment choices, and you can (almost) ALWAYS make money based on those choices. In a terrible deflationary environment if you have your money in cash or fixed income vehicles (bonds, annuities), you're making money. In an impending inflationary environment, buy gold. If we're in a controlled inflationary environment, buy stocks. (TheJoker, feel free to correct any of these)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Okay, I understand now and I agree with you I suppose. Except the part about Ron Paul freaks. Ron Paul rocks.
We can talk ron paul later. That's a whole other can of worms. ;)

But speaking for myself, THIS is why the tea baggers are a joke. Because at this point, the majority of people who associate themselves with this (bowel) movement, are just republican hypocrites who are so far up hannity, limbaugh and beck anus, that their muffled little cries of 'big goverment' just sound like another fart because they supported ENORMOUS government intervention and spending over the last decade.

So when you defend the tea party, this is what it looks like you're defending. The very small minority who were conservative but also raised spending concerns during the last adminstration are far outnumbered by the douchebags who just don't like the current administration and believe everything the old fat white guys on faux news tell them.

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
:shocked:

Ok, please, please, PLEASE don't give anyone financial advice. Ever. Seriously.

1) "Annuities" are fixed-income insurance vehicles. You buy the annuity for a certain amount of money, and then get a monthly income (sometimes indexed for inflation, or sometimes not).

2) 401(k)s are employer-sponsored tax-deferred retirement accounts that usually offer a variety of different investment options (stocks, bonds, money market accounts, possibly precious medals, etc). Your performance is based solely on the investment vehicles you choose.

They are NOT one and the same. Furthermore, it all depends on *when* you purchased your annuities; for example, if you'd purchased them 5-6 years ago when the fed funds rate was 5% and before the stock market tanked, you're doing GREAT right now. Your returns would be far above what they would've been if you'd left your money in the market. However, if you purchase today and inflation goes back up, yes you could get hurt. That's why it's called an investment instead of a savings account.

Lastly, I don't know about you, but my 401(k) is UP compared to 5-6 years ago. I've been investing heavily throughout the downturn, and now that the DOW is back up to ~11,000 I'm probably breaking even at worst (too lazy to figure out my real rate of return). Furthermore, stocks often perform well in a controlled inflationary environment. Profits go up, so stocks follow. Precious metals are more of a hedge against the possibility of future inflation, but perform quite poorly when compared to *actual* inflation.

Regardless, YOU are responsible for your investment choices, and you can (almost) ALWAYS make money based on those choices. In a terrible deflationary environment if you have your money in cash or fixed income vehicles (bonds, annuities), you're making money. In an impending inflationary environment, buy gold. If we're in a controlled inflationary environment, buy stocks. (TheJoker, feel free to correct any of these)
I agree with you, I shouldn't be giving financial advice. I'm not implying that I'm on a mountaintop preaching to you down below. Not the case. I was just pointing out what I heard elsewhere, and I could be wrong but it seems like the government is proposing to try and/or force people to give up their 401 K's for annuities. Then again, I'm Canadian and to me this seems like proposing everyone to buy Canada's Savings Bonds -which is :crazy:

Last edited:

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
We can talk ron paul later. That's a whole other can of worms. ;)

But speaking for myself, THIS is why the tea baggers are a joke. Because at this point, the majority of people who associate themselves with this (bowel) movement, are just republican hypocrites who are so far up hannity, limbaugh and beck anus, that their muffled little cries of 'big goverment' just sound like another fart because they supported ENORMOUS government intervention and spending over the last decade.

So when you defend the tea party, this is what it looks like you're defending. The very small minority who were conservative but also raised spending concerns during the last adminstration are far outnumbered by the douchebags who just don't like the current administration and believe everything the old fat white guys on faux news tell them.
Precisely. I can't stand those guys either, especially Beck. And not because Jon Stewart told me so on March 18th.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Precisely. I can't stand those guys either, especially Beck. And not because Jon Stewart told me so on March 18th.
What the hell does john stewart have to do with anything? :rofl:

Making fun of someone is only funny if the audience already agrees with the premise. Fortunately, LOTS of people already understand that beck is a tool.

Just for fun, take note of how many pro glen beck signs there are at a tea bagger rally.

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
The government is not proposing that. And please don't just regurgitate what you hear elsewhere.

In general terms, isn't that what everybody does - just regurgitate what they heard elsewhere? Even though we like to think the we come upon our conclusions on issues based on our own experience, most of the time we are parroting talking points presented to us. In this case I'll admit that I may be wrong.