Quantcast

Fear

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Ok, hunnies, how do you deal with fear?

Everybody gets a case of it some time or another.
Do you push on through?
Do you work up the courage?
If the fear is bad enough, do you call quits?

I got incredibly scared on something yesterday, and called quits.
All day after that event, I had been wrestling with why I got so scared, how could I let it get to me, and why am I so worried about that one incident?

It seems as though most guys don't have the fear chip implanted in their head..... and I wish I had that too.

:ouch:

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
I usually just push through it. It is part of what makes mtb so fun. The first time I rode on a trail I felt like I was going to eat sh!t the whole time, and did mostly. The more I went, the less I fell. Now I am doing stuff I couldn't to begin with. Some days I'm still a whimp, though. Last week I went on a ride and was having an awesome ride. I got to this one part I always have trouble with. Instead of trying to get past it (the time before I was half an inch from death). I didn't attempt it because I wanted to continue to have an awesome ride. I knew if I ate it there, it would ruin my ride. I just skipped it all together. Other times I just say fvck it, if I fall...well I fall. I just block out any sound reasoning. I guess this relaxes me more and I usually do fine, which gives me confidence for the next time.

I don't race mtb but used to when I swam. I would get incredibly nervious. Even for stupid races. Since I am short I would always be racing tall chicks. I know they looked at me as someone they could beat. This would make me mad, like I had something to prove. I would just be like...alright, let's dance. And then I'd usually win.

Well, I'm not sure if any of that helps with your question. I think guys don't portray fear, but they have it. It goes back to what I said of the attitude of fvck it. Plus, I always ride with burly and he knows what I can and can't do. If its something new he'll tell me how I need to do it. I just figure he hasn't been wrong yet. Everything I thought I couldn't do but he said to do it....he's always been completely right. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
At times I get so nervous I feel I'm going to puke:help: To get though it I stop and visualize myself completing the jump, drop, rock shoot, or whatever. Then I follow someone down it, it's easier for me to follow than do alone. I try and stay positive:)

I would say I most always push though it, but it really depends on how I'm feeling at the time. Some days I just don't feel I have 'it' others I feel I'm right up there with Marla;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MudGrrl said:
apparently I am the only one that has ever gotten scared.....
LOL!!!
I am somewhere in the middle of all 3. I started out being the type that would just call it quits but as I began to be a better rider, I was able to work up the courage to do things and at times I am able to just push through...it really depends on what it is. If it's a stunt or a drop, I generally have to build up my courage and then do it, but if it's a technical section of trail, I tend to push through it. I think it helps that I ride with people who are much better than I am so I am constantly challenging myself and improving. Generally, I watch them complete the challenging section or stunt and then I try to visualize myself doing the same. I also plan the "worst case scenario" and find a bail spot that I can land in ;)

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
i dont think about it... easier said than done, i know. But my trick lately has been, once i start getting nervous about something, i'll think of a song, get that rhythm, and start pedaling towards whatever it is... whether i case or crash, at least i tryed and i'm that much closer to improving.

So.. to answer your question, i push through it.

Whenever you start debating on if you should/shouldnt attempt... stop thinking and pedal. You waste time thinking, rather than spend time improving.

just my suggestion.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I used to never have it until my big knee injury. It would just never cross my mind and I would go for it without hesitation. I think about it more now because I fear injury. I just gradually push through stuff. Sometimes I just do it. Flat out, just do it. Other times I don't mind passing on a section. I just pick my battles.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I definitely get scared at times. How I handle it though depends on the situation and what it is I'm getting spooked by.

Mainly if it's something new that I'm nervous about trying I'll stop, check it out, watch someone do it, and then as Snacks said...hopefully follow someone. For something like jumps or drops following someone is always best for me so I can judge my speed correctly.

But some days I'm just not "feeling it" and that's when I walk away. I've even walked away from stuff that I've done before but because something that day was just off my gut told me not to do it (and I wanted to ride the following weekend!) But I've also had the days of kicking myself for not trying stuff :p That's when you go back and try it the next day!

Knowing how your bike reacts and handles can also help conquer some fears. There are things I've been skeptical of trying, but knowing that my bike would be able to soak up and correct for my dumb ass mistakes helped (hence how I was able to do the gap jump at Sea Otter last year....freakin' cased it baaaad the first time but my bike did it's job and gave me the confidence boost I needed. I was shaking like a leaf after my first go at it and although I couldn't race due to a mechanical my weekend was made because I conquered my fear of that stupid gap! :D )

And don't be afraid to talk to yourself. If I know that to clear something I can't do a brake check I have keep telling myself "no brakes, no brakes, no brakes" to make sure I lay off. Heck, I talk to myself all the thru a course sometimes...makes people laugh too :D

(and then there are some things one might never be comfortable with....cliff edges are mine...freakin' hate 'em :redhot: )

Just try not to beat yourself up too bad and resolve that it'll be your goal to conquer it down the road and show that section who's boss!

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I'm actually working on this problem myself. Being a intermediate/beginner mountain biker some small things will freak me out. Especially the more I think about them. I will then overcome them, not ride them for a month & they will bother me again. I have found working up to them, watching others ride it, or simply going as fast as possible and hope for the best. The last tends to work the best and be the hardest. Fortunately for me I have a good group of friends that are full of support and are willing to wait for me or show me how to do something over and over again.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Heidi said:
I used to never have it until my big knee injury. It would just never cross my mind and I would go for it without hesitation. I think about it more now because I fear injury.

Yeah, that's one of the first things through my mind, the injury.

The bf says I am focusing on the negative, but those thoughts pop in my head .... I am not trying to think about how I can get hurt........

it's not like I am in the middle of something, see a rock, and think..."oh, hey, wow, there's a rock, I might steer towards it and hit it , which would send me sailing into that tree over there, and I would end up with a fractured tibia....... I wonder how much that'll cost in insurance?"

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Velocity Girl said:
Mainly if it's something new that I'm nervous about trying I'll stop, check it out, watch someone do it, and then as Snacks said...hopefully follow someone. For something like jumps or drops following someone is always best for me so I can judge my speed correctly.
I've had people follow me.... it kind of forces me to go.

Velocity Girl said:
But some days I'm just not "feeling it" and that's when I walk away. I've even walked away from stuff that I've done before but because something that day was just off my gut told me not to do it
That whole gut thing is partly what's holding me up... and probably saving me at the same time!

Velocity Girl said:
There are things I've been skeptical of trying, but knowing that my bike would be able to soak up and correct for my dumb ass mistakes helped (hence how I was able to do the gap jump at Sea Otter last year....freakin' cased it baaaad the first time but my bike did it's job and gave me the confidence boost I needed. I was shaking like a leaf after my first go at it and although I couldn't race due to a mechanical my weekend was made because I conquered my fear of that stupid gap! :D )

Velocity Girl said:
And don't be afraid to talk to yourself. If I know that to clear something I can't do a brake check I have keep telling myself "no brakes, no brakes, no brakes" to make sure I lay off. Heck, I talk to myself all the thru a course sometimes...makes people laugh too :D
I actually do that. I have practiced the "No Brakes Mantra" plenty of times. I've gone down through a trail...."steady....stand up.....lean back.....level feet........no brakes, no brakes, no brakes, ... quick right.... where's my spot?"

Velocity Girl said:
(and then there are some things one might never be comfortable with....cliff edges are mine...freakin' hate 'em :redhot: )
uh, yeah... I have a fear of heights.....I feel you.

Velocity Girl said:
Just try not to beat yourself up too bad and resolve that it'll be your goal to conquer it down the road and show that section who's boss!
I am most definitely going to try again, no doubt. I am actually embarrassed by my reaction, and I want to deal with my fear. I hate it when fear overcomes me. I'm human, it's natural....

What I was actually doing when a panic hit me was.... rock climbing (see my fear of heights above). It was the first time I had been out of a gym, so I was dangling over actual rocks. I made it to within 5 ft of the top of the climb, and started slipping. Totally freaked.

I just figured that rock climbing and mountain biking have about the same challenges.... sections that are tough.... and fear plays a part in both. I can't act like either sport is like sittin' at home playing chess.

I will admit that when I conquer something, I feel like a rock star.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
hmmm very interesting.. i actual read this to try and figure out how to help my wife out conquering her fears..
personally I am more afraid of not trying then getting hurt... I ve been hurt .. i heal well
also ive noticed a trend.. when I hesitate , i wind up messing up.. so I usually just go for it.. its a atitude.
but there are days when i am just not feeling it.. I leave it to try another day!!!
oo and Im sorry I am not a mudhunnie... but i figure my 1/2 cent may be useful

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MudGrrl said:

I am most definitely going to try again, no doubt. I am actually embarrassed by my reaction, and I want to deal with my fear. I hate it when fear overcomes me. I'm human, it's natural....

I will admit that when I conquer something, I feel like a rock star.
I hear ya...I get embarrassed when I let fear get to me to sometimes, and then I beat myself up for it. Difficult emotion to deal with. But as you say...once you do it....you feel like a rock star :D (I actually have been know to sing and dance afterwards :rofl: )

The one time I've been rock climbing I was about 1/2 way up, had a piece of rock come loosed and got spooked. Composed myself, was joking with everyone as they helped calm me down...but then I looked up at where I needed to go....that freaked me out! Not looking down, but up. For my first attempt I was still happy to have gotten at least 1/2 way up though!!!

Good luck conquering those fear demons :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Velocity Girl said:
LOL!!! I do this a lot. It's actually quite funny most of the time (to those who end up hearing me). I psych myself up and even yell at stuff on the trail (trees that jump in front of me and rocks that try to knock me off my bike ;) ). And when I do crash, I make sure to kick or hit whatever took me out :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
hooples3 said:
personally I am more afraid of not trying then getting hurt... I ve been hurt .. i heal well
Me too. I don't have like super crazy crashes, but I have broke a few bones and been okay. It hurt, but I got over it. It took me a few times out on the trail to get over the fear after a bad crash, but it worked it self out. I just don't think about it.....POSITIVE THOUGHTS:)

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
TreeSaw said:
I psych myself up and even yell at stuff on the trail (trees that jump in front of me and rocks that try to knock me off my bike ;) ). And when I do crash, I make sure to kick or hit whatever took me out :D

:rofl:

That's awesome.

I've never kicked anything, but after a crash that led me to the emergency room, I wanted to throw my helmet at something.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Snacks said:
I don't have like super crazy crashes, but I have broke a few bones and been okay.
a few days ago, I was talking with some friends about this insane guy climbing up a 400 ft cliff without rope.... we decided that this guy was certifiable.

then we started thinking about how others view us. My ex bfs mom and dad thought I was absolutely crazy for doing anything other than walking.

So, the whole ...."I don't have super crazy crashes, but I have broke a few bones" is totally one of those perspective things.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
:) Me too, talk to myself and the trail. Sing a lot when I'm scared. Sing, cry, curse, breathe. Lots of breathing. And if all else fails I move on from the gnar that's got me all twisted up and have fun elsewhere.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I mountain bike and rock climb. While there are some very scary things that come up while riding, there is something about climbing that gives me an adreneline rush of fear like no other sport can! Being outside on the rocks, there are so many unknowns (bolts coming undone...)...and being afraid of heights does not help. It is sure a great way to start overcoming that fear though, and good cross-training!

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
GrapeApe79 said:
I mountain bike and rock climb. While there are some very scary things that come up while riding, there is something about climbing that gives me an adreneline rush of fear like no other sport can! Being outside on the rocks, there are so many unknowns (bolts coming undone...)...and being afraid of heights does not help. It is sure a great way to start overcoming that fear though, and good cross-training!
That's awesome!!! way to be!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
To conquer fear on the trail I had someone tell me to try a couple of things. First of all smile because it will relax you. Laugh out loud at whatever you're afraid of; for me that would be rocks, roots, switchbacks, and certain biker boys :rolleyes: And also, to yell out "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" when I'm doing something hard. Okay-you'll probably look a little silly, but who the heck cares? At least you'll look like you're having fun.

As far as fear goes-my entire mountain biking experience has been based on the "oh my god, I'm gonna die!" factor. I haven't yet, but I totally get being afraid.

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Ughh where to start, i probably scare myself more then any obstacle or srop, i physc myself out and it sucks my hey, im still having fun..

I never really had much fear until i went to whistlerm, thats when i really got scared to attemp drops etc, but i whent with some people who live there and i never stoped asking questions about what to do and how to do it, thats the best way to get over fear in my opinion.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i'm not scared of crashing. i wear lots o' pads for that.
i hate to admit it, but i'm more scare of losing face. i hate crashing in front of people.
i've gotten over it when it comes to snow. i used to be scared of boarding in the park, because they tend to be right under the lifts and everyone heckles you.
but when i'm racing bikes... i am so scared that i'll crash right out of the gate or something. or i'll crash right as i go through the finish.
the only way i'm trying to cope with that fear is by making myself race more, even though racing stresses me out so much it gives me a belly ache.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
i hate to admit it, but i'm more scare of losing face.
As hard as you ride, I would be worried about losing face too.

I used to go riding with a 13 year old, and his worrywort mom would always say, "don't lose your face!", because a friend of hers face-planted on a ride and required surgery. He and I used to roll our eyes everytime she said it, which was everytime her son and I rode together.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
As hard as you ride, I would be worried about losing face too.
not LITERALLY losing face. geeez.
you know what i mean though, don't you?
there is a certain amount of fear that sets in when you know someone is watching you. like that example of me going over the bars you posted. i totally have that turn down. but the second my friends are watching and someone is taking a picture... i freeze up. and then i'm so emberassed i crashed on something so simple.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My biggest crash last year was on a steep root section at Briones. There were some kids pushing up the hill, waiting for me to pass. I knew they were there, but I was trying to focus on the cleaning the section.

I am almost thru when one of them yells "Yeah!!!", and I look up, squeeze the brakes, and fall down into the ravine.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i think it can work both ways. there is that rocky section at toad's that i almost always seem to dab on. but once there was a big group of people walking up. i just thought, i better do this to show these guys how it's done. and i did it. i'm still suprised that i didn't get all stressed out and freeze up.

no matter what, i don't know if i'll ever be able to get over the feeling that i have when i'm at the gate at a DH race when that beeping goes off. Ick.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Last year I had a few crashes that really rang my bell. I remeber one where I was laying there thinking.. Please dont make this hurt too much when i go to get up. Sure enough I got up things were ok and I continued riding the rest of the day. after walking away from a few of those you start to feel more safe and push the evelope more. also I firmly belive that knowing how to fall correctly is huge.. how to roll out of it and not let any one part of you body take the hit

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
MudGrrl said:
that's what gives the fun scars that differentiate us from the people who think going to Target is the highlight of their day.
that was the best!
right now my husband has a broken arm/wrist. he's totally bored now that he can't go out boarding with me. And has no idea what other people do with their time on the weekends who aren't active. I guess they are all at Target!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
hooples3 said:
Last year I had a few crashes that really rang my bell. I remeber one where I was laying there thinking.. Please dont make this hurt too much when i go to get up. Sure enough I got up things were ok and I continued riding the rest of the day.
i have crashes like those. that don't hurt so bad that day... you have all of the adrenaline still pumping through your system. but that next day i feel like poo!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Interesting thread - this brought up my biggest "issue" with riding in the past few years. It was almost exactly 2 years ago that I landed on my head trying to hit a wheelie drop at Vietnam here in MA. I had just gotten my freeride bike, and suddenly had difficulty getting the front end up. Ever since, I have battled a wicked fear of doing drops. Up until then, it never really bothered me - I could ride up to the edge once, then just hit it with only positive adrenaline rushing through me. Now I have a terrible negative fear of nose-diving again. I am not really bothered by thoughts of broken bones, what terrifies me is the possibility of a spinal cord injury or brain injury. Something truly life-changing. The first thoughts that ran through my head when I crashed a couple of years ago were please, please, please let me be able to move my arms and legs. I split my helmet front to back on that one, but thankfully nothing more than a bit of a concussion, and cervical and shoulder strains. But it has been a long hard fight back and I still back away from a lot of wheelie drops - even ones that I used to hit with complete confidence. Now I find that I feel much more comfortable dropping stuff at speed, but again I feel that I am not riding up to my (or my bike's!) potential. It is extremely frustrating that I still haven't shaken the fear off. Some days I wonder if I ever will... Of course when I do challenge myself and nail something that scares me it is a great victory!

freeridenchk

Chimp
Sep 13, 2005
for me, dealing with fear is usually best overcome by not putting so much emphasis on injury. I havent' had any serious injuries so this might be easier for me. However, when I ride if I know I have the skills to conquer something big, or ride a wicked line, i have to do it right away! If you know right away looking at something you can do it skillwise, then the sooner you do it the better. also, planning for the worst case scenario does not help me. After I decide I can do it, i get on my bike, quickly envision myself landing, or riding it perfectly, then I do it just like i pictured. I think if you over analyze something it can mess with you. also, it helps me to do something a few times. even if it was big or crazy, just because it prepares me that much more for the next time i'm faced with something bigger, steeper, or sketchier. i think that helps with progression.