Quantcast

Fear

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtnbiker7, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mtnbiker7

mtnbiker7 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Lately I've been doing these 8 foot drops with some of my friends. 8 feet is the highest drop I've ever done. I was nervous and took 3 pratice runs. Before I did the drop I rememberd that its better to regret doing something than to regret not doing it. I'm just bored now so I was wondering what do you guys think about that convinces you to do a stunt when your nervous.(it may be a little fruity I know so dont be a**holes)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Spero

Spero ass rainbow

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    the more you think about it, the worse the outcome in my experience.

3. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Stop measuring how tall drops are?
    Just have fun and don't let your friends peer pressure you into breaking yourself.

4. Quo Fan

Quo Fan don't make me kick your ass

Rep/Likes:
    38 / 36
    Most times I just say "Fvck it" and go.

5. jcook90

jcook90 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Yeah just don't think about it and do, letting go of the brakes. Chances are you'll have the skill to land w/e it is your doing and you'll be fine, and it'll be easier the next time

6. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    175 / 1,545
    I usually stop one I've reached the hospital. I don't measure what I do, I'm too old and slow to care.

7. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    I did a 12' drop with a tiny 4' slanted run in. I was standing there thinking about how much to pull up and this dudes idiot girlfriend kept saying: " I wanna do it. I wanna do it. I wanna do it." I finally said" "Shut up b1tch!" and rolled it. The little aggression release helped.

8. r464

r464 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Don't let fear rule your life.

If you live, you'll be proud. If not, make sure that someone gets some good photos.

Our society has everyone in constant fear. I don't remember being this afraid of everything when I was a kid...

9. tacklespore

tacklespore Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Make sure you have the $$$ for new wheelset prior to riding. Then go huck it. Either way you'll have a good story

10. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    59 / 709
    My biggest drop I have done was aprox 10-11 feet, And it was on accident. Riding Cal state San Bernardino back after the fire and floods, came around what I thought was a trail I knew, Only to find a Major washout, and myself in a panic Oh sh2t drop into sand. Fun as hell, nice little topple as all three of us do the same thing.

As far as the the "fear" of a drop, Well I have it too, I try not to think about it too much, Take my hands off teh brakes, commit fully, and go for it. Other than tat, let instinct take over and just go for it.

11. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    I agree with not being a pvssy in life, but be fully geared and being relaxed and practiced is a benefit, since your mom changing your feeding tube and diapers for the rest of your life is kinda not worth the drop if you fail.

12. renorider40

renorider40 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ya if you just say **** it and go for it, your instincts and skill take over and you don't over think the hit.

13. Damo

Damo Short One Marshmallow

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 20
    I remember turning up to a race and everyone was commenting on a 'huge drop' halfway down the course.
    For my first run (no walking of this track), I approached the drop (knew where it was as there were big exclamation mark signs before it) and just did it without stopping to look at it.
    Afterwards I realised it wasn't all that, but if I had stopped and looked, it would have freaked me out a bit.
    No worries after that. I'd already done it.

I'm not saying to ever do something 'blind', but rather, thinking about sh1t too much will be worse than just going and doing it.

Don't think too much. Your skills should (I hope) be enough to carry you over anything everyone else is doing.

14. mtnbiker7

mtnbiker7 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Yeah I agree with that alot, my friends think I'm crazy because I do alot of stupid things and I dont let my fear stop me.Most of the kids I go to school with are afraid of what will happen. The only people I know(besides you guys) that arent stoped by fear are my dad and 2 cousins. Plus you always imagine things being worse than they really are.

15. mntbiker2

mntbiker2 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    you must be the biggest badass in your school!! :clapping:

oh and about them 8 ft drops...:picsstfu:

16. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    161 / 1,528
    Yeah until that day when you slowly regain consciousness, realize your spine is sticking out of an eye socket, and you start talking out of your navel in portugese because it's the only orifice that doesn't have broken bones around it.

What idiot told you that?

17. mtnbiker7

mtnbiker7 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    was that sarcastic.

18. mtnbiker7

mtnbiker7 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    In one of the drop in episodes it was something that Wade Simmons said to Darren Berrcloth and Berrcloth agreed. It's never worked against me.