Quantcast

Fedex Bill for duty and tax?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Purchased something from Europe and got the package-about a month or so later-recieved a letter in the mail from fedex demanding money for "duties, customs, and other fees"

Ignored the first one, now got a second one-that is a "final demand"

Anybody know about this? is this a bunch of bullsh!t or should i actually pay it. I never agreed with fedex to pay anything to them on importing it? They dropped off a package and i signed for it? (did i sign some sort of contract by accepting the box?)

While i tend to think that at least part of it is probably some kind of duty of some sort-why is it necessarily my problem if fedex decided to front me the money? (and charge me an additional fee for it)

Do i pay this? :think:

what if i dont?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I would call their billing department and make them show proof of the "contract" you agreed to with FedEx, it must have either your signature or electronic signature to count for anything. It can not be a contract between you and the store, it must be somehow between you and FexEx to be legal.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
He imported a item. Duties are his responsibility. Pay it and move on.
^ This.
Duties are owed to the Federal government on all items subject to import duty.
There is no 'contract' needed and the delayed billing is a result of the expedited delivery service FedEx provides versus letting your precious bike parts languish in customs for days while duties are sorted.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Is the letter from FedEx directly? or from a third party brokerage company? I once got a brokerage invoice for something I ordered (I'm in Canada, and I don't remember where I ordered from, probably Europe). I looked into the legitimacy of the company claiming the brokerage fee. I couldn't find a website for them, so I contacted our Customs and Revenue Agency, which has a "registered brokerage company" list. The company in question wasn't listed, so I emailed them saying "as far as I can tell, you are not a legitimate company, and I've put CRA on your case, and I'm not gonna pay you nothin". I never heard from them again.

However, when I receive a brokerage invoice from FedEx or UPS, i pay. they are legitimate, and it sucks. I hate brokerage fees.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Its from fedex for sure. Internet says if i dont pay it than they go back to the shipper for it (who said when i bought it that there would be no fees) any truth to that?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I would call their billing department and make them show proof of the "contract" you agreed to with FedEx, it must have either your signature or electronic signature to count for anything. It can not be a contract between you and the store, it must be somehow between you and FexEx to be legal.
this.

SLOPE

Monkey
Aug 24, 2001
Arnold, Maryland
I bought something used from Canada, got a bill from UPS for "walking it across the border" and ignored it.
Went to buy my present house and it showed up on my credit report.
Pay the man!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Its from fedex for sure. Internet says if i dont pay it than they go back to the shipper for it (who said when i bought it that there would be no fees) any truth to that?
contact the seller and ask if they in fact paid the duty fees. if they did ask for proof and send it to FedEx. if they didn't then have the proof that seller was to pay the fees and send that to FedEx and tell them to go after him. unless it's agreed upon initially, the buyer is responsible for duties and fees and whoever the shipping company is will ask for those.