Quantcast

Feedback on the RC Evolution Brace?

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I don't race DH anymore, most of the time that I'm at a big race I'm filming...but I've had a handful of bad crashes in the past, and my neck still is not the same so I'd like to try and pick up a neck brace more as a preventative measure for the times ill ride this year.

I was initially interested in the Leatt, but the price is my biggest deterrent at this point. I know i'll get the old 'its your health/life, isnt it worth spending $600?' but with owning a house, combined with the handfull of times i'll actually get out and ride DH this year, I was looking at the EVS as a reasonable alternative (something is better than nothing right?)

So just looking for people that have actual ride time with the EVS and can give some feedback on comfort, sizing (how tall/fat are you?), and ease of use with jerseys and additional body protection.

Thanks in advance.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I have one, unfortunately, no rides with it yet. I'll try to post a review after I get some time on it.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I have one, unfortunately, no rides with it yet. I'll try to post a review after I get some time on it.
Please do post up. I will try to get some measurements off of my Leatt Club to see where I have it adjusted to verses the static setting on the adventure if someone can get measurements off of it.

Does the adventure have a removeable spine part that we can measure from?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yeah I saw that one too, but it looks like that one isnt adjustable? Trying to weigh out between the EVS and the Leatt Club at this point I think.
For reference, the reason I went with the EVS was price and that while doing research, I found that a number of Aussies/New Zealander's had posted that they used them with good results on their local DH forums.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I have just tried EVS, size M, today.
I only tied it at the motorcycle shop, standing, not sitting on the bicycle and, moreover, with motorcycle helmet.
EVS has sizes. I tired M, which was a little bit loose on my chest. The only adjustment I found, was removing 1 or 2 foam layers from the back of the neck collar. But I had an impression, that even with 1 layer left, there was no enough back movement of the head. But pls remember that motorcycle helmets as beefier that i.e. Giro Remedy.

PS. I would rather compare EVS to LB ADV not Club.

Apr 4, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
I ordered the EVS brace and when I got it and tried it on I came to the conclusion that it would be too cumbersome for me to wear. I originally bought it because of price. I use a 661 flight helmet and didn't like the feel of the brace at all. The only adjustability in it is removing the foam pads which I did remove all of them and it still seemed too limiting. I didn't ride test it since I thought I would send it back. Unfortunately I have been busy and so it is still sitting in the box on my floor and I am not sure what to do with it now. My thought is that I am going to see if they will still exchange it plus the extra money for a Leatt brace.

I think mine was a large and it does fit my shoulders properly. I am 5'10" and 180 pounds to give you an idea of sizing. If I were any bigger I I don't think it would fit properly.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
i rode one for awhile, it summary it was great! i have a review somewhere ill try and find it for you

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
No experience with the Evo brace, sorry, but I got ahold of a Leatt Adv. just for trying out and it fits quite well actually.

Make sure to get the correct "Downhill specific" carbon backing plate for it and you are set, for a lot less cash.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I ordered the EVS brace and when I got it and tried it on I came to the conclusion that it would be too cumbersome for me to wear. I originally bought it because of price. I use a 661 flight helmet and didn't like the feel of the brace at all. The only adjustability in it is removing the foam pads which I did remove all of them and it still seemed too limiting. I didn't ride test it since I thought I would send it back. Unfortunately I have been busy and so it is still sitting in the box on my floor and I am not sure what to do with it now. My thought is that I am going to see if they will still exchange it plus the extra money for a Leatt brace.

I think mine was a large and it does fit my shoulders properly. I am 5'10" and 180 pounds to give you an idea of sizing. If I were any bigger I I don't think it would fit properly.
Thanks for some feedback. My main concern is that i've read a few things online where people said it was fine for the upright body position of moto, but a little restrictive for dh since your neck is angled more when in the riding position.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just threw my RC Evolution brace and 661 Flight helmet on this evening, and I feel like I'll have more than enough motion available for downhill. It was set up with all the foam padding as well.

I will state that I am 6'3" and my neck is probably a little above average in length. I'm no giraffe, but I'm not a 5'10" wide bodied stump either. I tried turtling in my neck and I could see that if you had a really short neck, you would definitely have a more limited range of motion. But as far as I could tell, for myself, this brace will work, no problem at all.

pjnoto

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
I tried mine at massanutten this weekend. I have a one industries trooper helmet and there was no way i could look up on steeps. THe trooper is a little long in the back though for sure. Ebay here we come! or if someone on here wants it $150 one run on er

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Ive got the EVS and its very limiting for steep DH stuff. I just cant look far enough ahead so it usually sets in the truck. I have also heard the same thing about the Leatt.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
When I tried on the EVS RC evolution, two things came to mind. First off, I had plenty of room to move with my helmet. Second, I felt very choked wearing it just walking arounda bit. Now I am six foot, adn Def not a beanpole. I am a big boy, Not an ogre, Im not abnormally big in the neck, but bigger than average, and with the brace set up properly, I was tight around the neck, this was while in the largest size they make as well.

Its a very protective item, Def go try one on before you buy it. Helmet coice might make or break if it will work for you or not. Great product, just not for everyone.

reason the helmet makes such a difference with teh EVS, is that it was intended for Moto, not DH, it will work with the right helmet to go with.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just an update on the EVS. After riding @ Pkill, the EVS is a little too limited in motion with the 661 Flight helmet I had. I threw on a 661 Evo and it was heaps better.

Last edited: