Quantcast

feedback wanted on John Howard/Dave Tesch bike

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, there were a couple of big time American builders back in the day: Tesch, Eisentraut, and Cuevas. You are certainly buying a piece of history. I suppose this isn't John Howard's bike, but a model named after him.

It will probably weigh 21 lbs, and not ride as well as current steel bikes.

Being part of that era, I lack sentimentality about bikes like these. I think bikes today are better performing. But if you are into vintage, it looks like a good deal.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks San!

I'm not interested in it for history or anything other than that it's the right size.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
seller says the head-tube is 142mm.

I know there are various variables, but when I was measured, I was told to get something close to 57cm(ST) x 55cm(TT) x 18cm(HT)

what am I missing here? If the bike is 57x55, why such a discrepancy with the HT? I can't imagine the angles are so odd that, well, me must be dumb *shrugs*

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
seller says the head-tube is 142mm.

I know there are various variables, but when I was measured, I was told to get something close to 57cm(ST) x 55cm(TT) x 18cm(HT)

what am I missing here? If the bike is 57x55, why such a discrepancy with the HT? I can't imagine the angles are so odd that, well, me must be dumb *shrugs*
I looked at the picture again, and it seems OK for a head tube length. 55cm TT (21.65 inches) seems a little short for me, and I am 5'11" with average arm length. But you could compensate with a longer stem.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The bike has americanized "crit" geometry. People were nuts for bikes like that then, 1/3 TT bike (short TT and HT), 1/3 track bike (steep st angle, ht angle, higher bb) 1/3 road bike (gears and brakes mostly).

John gave me one of those he had laying around as my first nice road bike back in about '94, I rode OK, but was a little stiff for my tastes. An ENO hub would make one a pretty fun points-race bike though....

"Crit" geometry is dead now, thank god.