Quantcast

Feel free to ban me from the board

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
So it's a sad day in derelictland. For those of us in the Northeast, this weekend marks the annual Killington Beauty and the Beast race. Killington doesn't host a lot of races, so this is about the only shot at this venue. Alas, I will not be partaking in the downhill race due to a still lagging injury to the idrive of the DHi. We tried to get her ready to go, but the parts didn't come in by today. So I will be travelling to the venue and will be participating in the <gasp> cross country race. Somehow, my brother and fellow derelict talked me into doing this instead. He's going and thought it would be fun for both of us to do it. In only what can be called a moment of sheer stupidity, I agreed. So I have let you down DH brothers and sisters, and for that I ask for your foregiveness. If you see someone not designed for CC riding crying tears of blood, that would be me.

Dogwonder

PS - I may scope the dual slalom course in hopes of salvation, but given I have never done a DS, there is only one class, and I generally suck at jumps & tabletops as a rule, this option seems unlikely

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
haha, xc racing will make you a better DHer. Just set up your bike to handle the downhill sections pretty well and you'll probably do ok. My keys include shredding the downhills, making moto-noises, and jumping off as many things in the trail as possible :thumb:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
dhmtbj said:
haha, xc racing will make you a better DHer. Just set up your bike to handle the downhill sections pretty well and you'll probably do ok. My keys include shredding the downhills, making moto-noises, and jumping off as many things in the trail as possible :thumb:

thats sounds like how I ride xc, except I walk up the hills :D

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
damn, I love racing XC. Skate lid, single chain ring DS bike-style. Just race it like a two hour long mountain cross. Take people out, throw elbows, pass in unsafe places, all is good! My 28lb Chameleon was great at the dirt jumps, and I could win an XC race on it the next day with some SPD's. Tear it up and have some fun!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Dont wear DH gear! Stuff your licra with tennis balls if need be, but i think your gunna find that DH gear will turn your grundle into a bristle pad in about 30 min.

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
im in a glass case of emotion
i think you should show up in super short cutt off jean shorts, dark socks, construction boots, an orange hunting vest, and a hard hat. wear a camping backpack with a hydration pack taped to it. fill it all with pillows and a sleeping bag. chew some dip, and scream out random lines like, "white mans burden", or just look to the person next to you and say "so whatd you do then"?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I ride xc stuff with my 8 speed azonic evolution. I try jumping off every little rut or bump in the trail. Wear dh gear or the boots,camelback taped to backpack, lhigh cut shorts thing- they would both be really funny.

---------TAKE PICTURES AND POST THEM----------

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
the only time i ever raced xc i was wearing all dh gear except for a full face, and i won by like 4 minutes. it was just a climb up and ride down loop, so maybe i just owned on the downhill idk. i wanted to puke on the climb though it sucked. (it was the bavarian bike and brew in leavenworth for anybody who knows what that is)

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Definitely go with the daisy duke jean shorts.. Also make moto noises on the uphill, be sure to include changes in pitch for slipping the clutch: Braaaah, brr brra, brAAAAap!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't think there will be much of an issue racing an XC bike on the DS course. Pro times on the course are about 16 seconds and there is not a single drop, jump or table.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i have never raced cross country...but i do ride cross country on my jump bike. small cannondale chase frame, 40mm stem, 2" rise bars, rear brake only, neutral gear, bmx saddle and chainguide. lol fun times.

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
1. Basket on the front (maybe with a cute little stuffed bunny)
2. Streamers on your handelbars
3. Playing card in your spokes
or
4. Those small colored balls that attach to your spokes and drop up and down, those would be king.

Just go hit it and have fun, be sure to own on the downhill. I did the St George Desert Rampage earlier this year (14miles) and sucked it up, but on the downhill I got "holy sh**" as I passed, that made it all worth it...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Well kiddies...I made it. All these posts got my wheels turning and not having a lot of time, (race was in about 5 hours), I started looking around the house to see what I had. I thought the beer dispensing helmet for waterbottles would be a nice touch, but don't have one. I use a pressure suit so going full on DH gear would have killed me (as it was, I almost died anyways, but more of that to come later). I also considered bringing Captain Speedo out of retirement, but I checked my speedos and there isn't much padding and I didn't have any bubblewrap kicking around. That, and I didn't really think having my junk hanging out would be all that comfortable. So I was a little tame in my get up, but you'll see when I get the pics up.

So I raced sport class, which was three laps. Each lap was a little over 4 miles long complete with 1000 feet of climbing each lap. A little over two hours later, I crossed the finish line, just ahead of my brother and fellow derelict. Thanks to a couple of mechanicals, even though we were the last of the sport classes to finish, we were both on the podium.

It was hell...If I could have done it again, I would have realized that there were no jumps on the DS course and would have just done that. But we made it and as soon as I get the pics from my brother, I'll post em up here.

With a little bit of luck, the GT will be back together for next weekend and we will be back going the right direction at PK.

Affectionately yours,
Dogwonder

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Here are some pics from the race...I tried to find a hunting store or Dick's sporting goods to get some camoflauge paint, I really wanted to ride with war paint. Then I thought about going topless, but chaffing would have sucked. So I went with the old fashioned lax jersey and Captain Speedo's mask...Enjoy...

before the hell started in...

the one freaking downhill section where you could actually carry some speed...

Playing the air guitar...

THE FINISH LINE!!! IT'S OVER!!! Your's truly (on the right) edged the older brother by about 30 seconds.

The Sport Class 30 - 39 podium...

The downhill derelicts well represented on the XC course...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dude...psuh up every climb...don't wear yourself out...just leave the seat down low and in the big ring. Then pick some schmuck who is redlined and give him about a 10 second go of it before you pin it down the hill after him and freak him out by hounding his wheel..."on your left"...and then pin his butt against a tree...then walk the next climb and pick another red liner and tag and bag like a deer!