Quantcast

Feelin retro

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
B.U.F.F.

Hey mickey, do you like dual slalom or something? I hear it's coming back. Thought you'd be excited to know.
The worst bike that sold like hotcakes:

I was on the sidelines for every major North American slalom race from 1994-1999. I can distinctly remember heats and tracks with terrifying clarity. Up until a few years ago I think I could remember the winner of every event(!).

Lopes took this one:

It was one of the first Big Bear tracks with bmx-y jumps and berms instead of loosey-goosey flat stuff with lots of pedaling. The funny thing is that the newer track surprisingly kept the BMX guys from dominating the event. Most of them had a hard time coming to grips with shifting and suspension!

It was the last we saw of Kyomi Waller on his Turner painted up in Ritchey colors. What a weird sponsorship... YoYo did race Sea Otter and Big Bear a few more times when he had a bmx contract with Haro though- that was around the same time they were sending Toddy Lyons to mtb races...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
A few more before I go home:

Name the riders, name the races

This guy needs no introduction.

Cully. He almost quit KHS before the season started but Chris Herting of 3D saved the day with the funky monkey-motion machine you see here.

Chris only built 2 of them and one of them is still piled up behind his barn in Durango with a lot of other really cool vaporware. From '94-'96 Chris built one new suspension design after another and had them promptly co-opted by other brands. Sucks for him. He knows his sh$t.

Snoqualmie '98 was defintely top 5 in my greatest events of all time. Scary ass DH track that would still rock today, best XC track that I ever raced at a ski mountain and the entire event packed into one ****bag motel.
It made for excellent teenage shenanigans and was a big part of the inspiration for this blog post from a few months ago.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Company to run!
I'm re-scanning all of the press clippings from '94 to last week. People's gotsa see that we bring the silly-fresh EastCoast authenticity to the table. Most of our roadie customers used to into us back into the day, but it's always a good idea to let people know what the company is all about.

My Flickr account is chock full of goodness and oonce I borrow a scanner with a bigger bed it'll get steamy.
Like this article from XXL magazine espousing how baller DH bikes are for rolling in the hood...

Except when you're shredding the... beanstalk??

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dude! I don't have either of those in the press clipping book. Can you email biggun's my way? mickey@...
All I have is the reviews and apparently just a handfull of the ads.
I do have the hand drawn origionals of all the art. That's going to go up on the site in a while. I gave up trying to make bikes at my shop(thank god!) but we do have the gear to make t's now. I think a series of Limited Edition re-issues is going to start hitting the webstore real soon..

(i ran the liberty art on a hoodie a few years ago. Not sure what it's going on this time)

There are also a few Stevil KinevilxSpooky t's that will finally hit the street this fall. Ah, 2011- a world that will pay $45 for a sweet t-shirt!
It is so weird owning all of the art and intellectual property that kept me stoked on life in Middleschool.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
there was a suspension one with 70's monoshock bike that i vaguely recall for some reason....i don't know if age is playing tricks on me.
I only have a few dirtrags here... the rest are at my parents house. I don't recall that one in particular.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Dude! I don't have either of those in the press clipping book. Can you email biggun's my way? mickey@...
Will have to rescan them - if you click they're a bit bigger (800px).

Any specific requests on size?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I was walking through my neighborhood last summer and a kid came rolling by with pretty much this exact bike. I stopped him to ask about it, he said his dad used to be big into riding and then stopped and the bike had just been sitting in the garage for years.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Serotta and Kamikaze aren't words you usually associate with each other...

Looks Flexy

OH MY GOD

Panasonic left the US bike market pretty early on in the '90's. Have no idea why.

Anyone who rode Platty in the late 90's will remember this.

I have no idea how we sent MBA a Metalhead with parallel 73 angles.

And one last Jon Ker shot to seal the deal

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I do have the hand drawn origionals of all the art. That's going to go up on the site in a while. I gave up trying to make bikes at my shop(thank god!) but we do have the gear to make t's now. I think a series of Limited Edition re-issues is going to start hitting the webstore real soon..

(i ran the liberty art on a hoodie a few years ago. Not sure what it's going on this time)

There are also a few Stevil KinevilxSpooky t's that will finally hit the street this fall. Ah, 2011- a world that will pay $45 for a sweet t-shirt!
It is so weird owning all of the art and intellectual property that kept me stoked on life in Middleschool.
I still have/wear my three old Spooky Ts..... The Black Sheep/Handmade in 914...

The "Fight for what you believe" T.

and..... the one that I'd REALLY LIKE TO SEE COME BACK (as I think it'd appeal to the road crowd just as much as mtb).....

The "Ride with your Friends" T.......that had the cartoon animals on the front and back....it reads in tiny cursive script:

"horses, beavers, moose, porcupines, fish, people on bikes, people not on bikes learning to co-exist and respect one another because we're all in this together. Spooky Cycles, a really nice bike company from New York."

AND on the back of the T (with more cartoon animals)

"snakes, bunnies, dogs, birds, blood sucking ticks, good people, bad people learning to co-exist and respect one another because we're all in this together. Spooky Cycles, the nicest bike company on earth. Peace."

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I love the levity of this thread over here on RM. A nice discussion of all things retro without anyone taking any sh*t for sales being posted, misquoting something, etc.
Very refreshing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh? I just love old-ass bikes made by people not sales-forces. Especially when they're anodized.

ay caramba!

caramba, fournales, prostop, mountain cycle???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ever been to ulmer's place? its like a museum. he's got a brand new m1 in his basement that was never even built up.

and he's got more tires than i've ever seen.