Aaron Chase

Jesme.jpg

John Jesme?

Kintner.jpg

Jill Kintner

Some pit photos from 2007

SamHillSunday2007.jpg

SamSabrinaBikes-2007.jpg

Sam and Sabrina's 6points, although I think Sam's is a proto. Different seat tube/uprights, top tube brace is straight…

IntenseM5.jpg

The precursor to the M6

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My grandmother died this fall. My mom brought back a bunch of keepsakes and this paper was among them. I forgot I had made the front of my school newspaper! This is such a great stair gap. (Fall 2002)

View attachment 169819
I did some digging in my archives last night and came across some gems from that same era.

Racer, hucker.

DSC_0402.JPG
DSC_0406.JPG

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Chainstay looks pretty beefy. I think this was their freeride-ish 575 right before the AS-X?
Nah that was like the full sus 4x thing.
this is correct. here's the history that was on the yeti website at one time:

Sometimes we make frames that are intended for racing only. Such was the case with the 4x frame. A new racing format hit the scene and we started with modifying current frames (at the time that was the AS-R) to race. This modification was fine under Marla Streb, but the big fella from down under (Rennie) needed something more substantial. So we made him custom 4x bikes. The front end was massively strong, as were the thick, short chainstays.
After watching our racers ride the bike for three years, the masses started clamoring for a production version, so we obliged with a Special Projects bike (limited production of 100). This was later followed up with a full production bike and became stock in our product line.

The special projects version were US made. The stock production 4x frames ('08 - '12) were overseas built I believe.

also.

Soon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
SamSabrinaBikes-2007.jpg

Sam and Sabrina's 6points, although I think Sam's is a proto. Different seat tube/uprights, top tube brace is straight…
pretty sure that's the SSO - Sam Sea Otter. it was sort of a cross between the 6 point and the sunday; 6" travel like the 6 point with geometry as close to the sunday as possible. i think only 1 of them was ever made.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
yup, that's the one. although i don't remember how exactly it came into Jason's possession.
If I remember correctly. Sicklines did a few articles on the SSO. Starting off as an idea/project and it all got a little muddled up in the delivery and the pieced together a little messily. So there may well still be other parts to the article I linked to.
FWIW I don't remember how they got hold of it either. or whether they even said.

it's pretty funny looking back and reading that they went from a 50mm stem to 35mm to help getting off the back. That thing was incredibly short compared to anything around today.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If I remember correctly. Sicklines did a few articles on the SSO. Starting off as an idea/project and it all got a little muddled up in the delivery and the pieced together a little messily. So there may well still be other parts to the article I linked to.
FWIW I don't remember how they got hold of it either. or whether they even said.

it's pretty funny looking back and reading that they went from a 50mm stem to 35mm to help getting off the back. That thing was incredibly short compared to anything around today.
i seem to recall asking Jason about it at a race not long after they posted it, but his answer escapes my memory

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Completely, their early designs were absolutely no different from the sketches I used to make in college classes, thinking I had some bright ideas. As in, coming from amateurs, and not designers like Horst, etc. This is even more primitive than the pipeline.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Completely, their early designs were absolutely no different from the sketches I used to make in college classes, thinking I had some bright ideas. As in, coming from amateurs, and not designers like Horst, etc. This is even more primitive than the pipeline.
Damn, I thought it was a pipeline. It looks like a schwinn sweet-spot tho.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's really bizarre how many RM designs were so bad. Like they didn't have a clue and were just flinging shit on the wall to see what would stick...
Shocks were such garbage then it is possible no one could tell what a good suspension design was.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The first time I ever saw a klein mantra I just remember thinking "do those idiots actually think that works?"

A friend bought a gary fisher joshua and I remember trying to explain to him that the bike is just folding underneath you when standing up descending, it's not really suspension.

That shit was made for making your butt feel better while seated and on flat ground. I vowed to never buy a bike from any company that ever made a URT cuz those people have no idea what they're doing.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The first time I ever saw a klein mantra I just remember thinking "do those idiots actually think that works?"

A friend bought a gary fisher joshua and I remember trying to explain to him that the bike is just folding underneath you when standing up descending, it's not really suspension.

That shit was made for making your butt feel better while seated and on flat ground.
Personally I think a bike that shortens it's wheelbase and further steepens the near vertical head angle when you touch the brakes while descending was a great idea.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think that Carbon one was a good bit heavier than the aluminum version, ironically.

(and who says this is a forum of washed up old people, reliving the past? :cool:)
Relive?

I thought most of it should be murdered at the time.

Only difference is now people don't get all up in my face with "i gUeSs yOuRe sMrTr tHaN tHe eNgInEeRs aT bIKe cOmPaNiEs!!!!"

God that shit was annoying.

They were so sketchy, I don't remember any carbon bike back then actually being lighter. Just dentist candy.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You have a fair point, lord knows there was plenty of eye-rolling when that stuff came out. I rode a hard tail until ‘98 because everything was crap. (But I certainly purchased and so,d my share of crap, too). We all did.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You have a fair point, lord knows there was plenty of eye-rolling when that stuff came out. I rode a hard tail until ‘98 because everything was crap. (But I certainly purchased and so,d my share of crap, too). We all did.
My first boinger was the first year spec. enduro. 2000. I never really saw the point in 3" travel bikes so that was the first one (cheap enough) to go. I bought it in Helena montana on the continental divide route. It was my comittment to myself to move to real mountains.

It was a 5lb frame though so ripped the rear end off in like year 2. BETD had my back with some real chainstays.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My first FS boinger. This is the closest one I could find to factory spec:

1659984175131.png

Rear suspension worked well enough. It pre-dated the Specialized FXR XC that came out shortly after with the same general style, except HL. I put a manitou SX FS fork up front, the stock "Mach 5" was nothing more than a F-ing elastomer stack and a total POS. The SX FS was the same chassis, but with some small coil springs and an actual damper. Eventually I put an X-vert R on it for a little while before I sold it (no cracks...but it probably wasn't wise).