Quantcast

Fell Mountain ride

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
going out saturday 07-03-04 at 11 am. Fell Mountain. PA. maybe 2 hours from Manhattan... Josh (Syadasti) said its one of the top 10 trails in the US, but I don't know where he got that info. He swears its bitchin though!

PM me, or email me.. I'll let you know where to meet up with us...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Once again people really missed out - 14 miles of some of the best trails in the USA.

I managed to get a flat AND bent my SS granny ring via flying loose rocks on the DH section near the end of the ride.

I was too busy riding the awesome terrain to take any pictures except these at a rest area - sorry about the photo of the riders - I forgot to change out of landscape mode. You'll just have to meet us for a ride there to experience the trails :eviltongu

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
JerseyDave said:
What was the riding like?
100% natural flowing rocky terrain with tons of variety - best flowing technical trails I've ridden. Definately worth 160 mi. drive for me - third time back there in 3 months. Use to ride it every month or so while in school.

We do a 14 mi. loop (main loop is less than half of that, so you need to know the proper order) - only a 1 mi. or so is doubletrack/road - all the rest is singletrack - at least 2 mi. of slickrock trail. Pete's Brother's trail is mind blowing. Very rocky, so its ok to ride there even when wet, just a bit more challenging with the sliding. Bicycling magazine ranked it as one of the top 10 trails in USA. Best of all - we almost never see anyone there - no riders, no hikers, its totally empty on the trails for the most part (our car and bill's were the only ones in the main lot on Saturday).

Will probably go back there soon with Anthony, Mike, and or others. You are invited if interested...

They need Pete (trail builder) to build some more hit oriented FR lines - there are tons of cliffbands there, some to nice trannies - tons of potential for that.

Would be great to do Reading and fell (don't know how far away they are from each other) one weekend.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
JerseyDave said:
I'll keep it in mind next trip to Va. What Hwy. /got Directions?
Check your PMs

I wonder what is taking Craig so long to post his two pennies.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
patients young grasshopper. working lots...

yea that place is a pretty worthy ride. really fast looping singletrack spots with some fun tech stuff thrown in. and not too much climbing. Actually, it was kinda backward. I'm used to having a big uphill ride at the beginning, but here it seemed we did a lot of the fast DH stuff, then had a big climb near the end. but it seemed that for every climb, it was twice as far downhill. weird. But super fun!

oh, and its in PA not VA!

if I were to guess, its about 45 minutes from the NJ/PA state line on route 80 (delaware water gap). josh does that sound about right?

there would be alot more pictures, except that josh forgets he has a camera as soon as he starts rolling...

ok, now back to work for me...

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
oh, the dirt was nice and tacky (not muddy) since it had rained recently. but was otherwise dry. rocks were grippy like moab (ok, well mostly). the trailbuilder Pete did a great job with the layout. there were lots of loops, although they way we linked them together we did double back a little. But it wasn't super noticeable, because it was tech enough to keep it interesting. and then theres the long off-camber section at the end which is tricky in parts.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
oh, and its in PA not VA!
I think Dave meant he would ride there on his way down from VT to VA?

if I were to guess, its about 45 minutes from the NJ/PA state line on route 80 (delaware water gap). josh does that sound about right?
I'm not exactly sure - its about 160 mi. from Red Bank - about 2.25-2.5 hrs drive. Its right above Carbondale, PA.

there would be alot more pictures, except that josh forgets he has a camera as soon as he starts rolling...
Who needs pictures when you are riding a trail that good :thumb:

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
good point.. maybe we should say:

the trails are constantly overcrwded, muddy, flat, and covered in cactus needles and glass....

edit:
well, where we met is about 15-20 minutes from the water gap, and it was about an hour or just over (allowing for the weekend traffic)from there. i figured the water gap was a pretty recognizeable point for people who know route 80/ delaware water gap...