Quantcast

Fellow rider down – my condolences and sympathy…

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
...goes out to fiends and family. Sad - only in his 30's :(

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041025/NEWS/410250331/1116/SEARCH02

An autopsy is scheduled today to determine the cause of death of an unidentified mountain biker who was found unconscious Sunday morning in Annadel State Park by two horseback riders.

The biker, whom investigators described as a white male in his mid 30s, had parked his bike and collapsed at a picnic table at the junction of Live Oak and Rough-Go trails, a park ranger and spokesmen for the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department said.

California State Parks Ranger Bob Birkland said the equestrians, who discovered the biker at about 11:30 a.m., and several mountain bikers attempted to resuscitate the man. None at the scene knew who he was .

A Sonoma County Sheriff's helicopter crew airlifted the biker from the trail and performed CPR en route to a parking lot, where paramedics were waiting to treat him. The biker was pronounced dead before being transported to a hospital, around noon, Sheriff's Sgt. Eric Thomson said. The actual time of death is unknown.

Investigators Sunday afternoon were still trying to identify the man, who was found without ID.

"It does not look like it's related to a bicycling accident," Coroner's Sgt. Will Wallman said. "It looks like he suffered some type of medical emergency."

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Acadian said:
"It does not look like it's related to a bicycling accident," Coroner's Sgt. Will Wallman said. "It looks like he suffered some type of medical emergency."
Sucks for the guy, but...Would a bicycle accident not be a medical emergency? Who hires these guys?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Acadian said:
Investigators Sunday afternoon were still trying to identify the man, who was found without ID.

ALWAYS Ride with ID on you. And a cell phone for that matter.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
BurlySurly said:
Sucks for the guy, but...Would a bicycle accident not be a medical emergency? Who hires these guys?
Given that he parked his bike and collapsed it sounds like he didn't take a spill but had some medical problem that just happened to occur while riding his bike.

And yes, ID and cell phone if you can (especially alone) is a good idea!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Wow...

My buddy here at work was there. He was talking about it first thing this morning. He went there to ride w/ his girlfriend, and while trying to tell her that the trails aren't too technical or dangerous, there they are loading this dead rider into an ambulance...not a good omen!

I didn't think he could've died from riding there, it's not that harsh.

RIP Mr. Mystery rider.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Its always sad to hear about this stuff. Best wishes to his family and friends, whoever they are.

Good points about ID and cell phones (even though they rarely work out there)
It's important to not ride alone too, and always make sure somweone knows where you're riding at.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Annadel is going to be my new home this winter, I'm moving to Santa Rosa next week.

I'll pay respects when I hit Rough-Go.

:)

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Annadel is my normal ride.
I in fact did Rough Go and rode past the spot yesterday, but all traces of it were gone by the time I went thru.

Rough Go is a pretty damn technical climb, it can be a real gut buster, it's in the full sun, and faces SW for alot of it's length.
Here's a pic of Rough Go looking downhill. It's even worse than it looks, this is a tame little section where it i easy to stop and take a pic.

bomber, welcome to the area!! You should love riding Annadel, and say 'hi' to the horses, we're friendly here. PM me and maybe we can ride together. :D

Attachments

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
bushwacker said:
Annadel is my normal ride.
I in fact did Rough Go and rode past the spot yesterday, but all traces of it were gone by the time I went thru.

Rough Go is a pretty damn technical climb, it can be a real gut buster, it's in the full sun, and faces SW for alot of it's length.
Here's a pic of Rough Go looking downhill. It's even worse than it looks, this is a tame little section where it i easy to stop and take a pic.

bomber, welcome to the area!! You should love riding Annadel, and say 'hi' to the horses, we're friendly here. PM me and maybe we can ride together. :D
Thanks. I'll see where I'm at after I unpack.

Gut buster? - yes. I rode it on a company picnic last year.

Note: do not ride Annadel with a belly full of spicy BBQ. Ugh.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
T0mo said:
Nope, a bike accident would be trauma. Medical refers to stuff like heart attacks and what-not.
But trauma itself is a medical emergency...little fella.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Acadian said:
Speaking of ID - anyone own a www.roadid.com ?
Not yet. It's on my Christmas list. I've told everyone I ride with that I'm allergic to Penecillin, but might as well have it hanging around my neck in case they don't remember or I'm riding alone.