Quantcast

FEMA Brown does the right thing.. now it's the Mayor, the Gov's & Sen Landrieu's Turn

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Time for them all to resign now!!!

Embattled FEMA Director Mike Brown Resigns
By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer
7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown said Monday he has resigned "in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president," three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

"The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there," Brown told The Associated Press.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
And the president's?

Here's a MF that Bush appointed for this position. Is he not accountable?! Haha, what was I thinking...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stinkyboy said:
And the president's?

Here's a MF that Bush appointed for this position. Is he not accountable?! Haha, what was I thinking...

How about the Congress who approved the appointment?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
N8 said:

Since FEMA was rolled into the Department of Homeland Security its head is no longer confirmed by the Senate. Chertoff was confirmed by the Senate.

Of course neither of these guys or the three people below Brown have emergency/disaster relief experience. Pure political appointments.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Nagaredama said:
Since FEMA was rolled into the Department of Homeland Security its head is no longer confirmed by the Senate. Chertoff was confirmed by the Senate.

Of course neither of these guys or the three people below Brown have emergency/disaster relief experience. Pure political appointments.
No, Brown was confirmed. I think Lieberman (thanks again bud) was on that panel.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Silver said:
No, Brown was confirmed. I think Lieberman (thanks again bud) was on that panel.

Everything I read states he was confirmed as Deputy Director of FEMA in 2002. Not director.

If he was confirmed as Director would you please forward me a link to it? I would like to read the transcripts.

Thanks
Scott

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
N8 said:
If I hired someone (regardless if some "VP's" gave the nod to my recommendation) that was completely incapable and inexperienced and cost the company a boatload of problems, my head would roll.

Then again, I live in the real world.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Silver said:
http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-brownhearing0910.artsep10,0,4770593.story?coll=hc-headlines-politics

Regular love fest.

At the time, Brown, an Oklahoma attorney, was general counsel at FEMA. He got the same kind of quick hearing given to most people nominated to such second-tier posts. Sens. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., and Ben Nighthorse Campbell, R-Colo., introduced Brown and talked about how FEMA helped with recent wildfires in his state.

Brown, Campbell said, had been there "steadfastly and tenaciously" to help. Before Brown began speaking, Lieberman told him, "Mr. Brown, you're off to a good start. Two strong statements of endorsement."
And here is why he never had to go thru confirmation hearings to be come Director.

Brown became FEMA director in early 2003, and did not have another confirmation hearing. Under legislation pushed by the Bush administration, it was not needed because his new position was germane to his old one.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315184/

At least he is a fireman.

R. David Paulison, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to three administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

As chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department, Paulison led 1,900 personnel under a $200 million operating budget. He was also in charge of Dade County's emergency management office, according to his biography

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
if arabian horses were dying in NO, there might have been a stronger, more cohesive rescue effort in the early days.
that's just being unfair, and understating his true ability: i'm sure he developed some hard core photocopying skills while working as the assistant to the city manager way back when

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
DRB said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315184/

At least he is a fireman.

R. David Paulison, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to three administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

As chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department, Paulison led 1,900 personnel under a $200 million operating budget. He was also in charge of Dade County's emergency management office, according to his biography
Assuming his resume is legit, of course. If it's anything like Brownie's, that would mean he lived next door to a fire station growing up.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Silver said:
Assuming his resume is legit, of course. If it's anything like Brownie's, that would mean he lived next door to a fire station growing up.
No he really was a fireman. However, he is the guy that suggested we stock up on duct tape and plastic sheeting to protect ourselves from chemical and biological attack.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stinkyboy said:
If I hired someone (regardless if some "VP's" gave the nod to my recommendation) that was completely incapable and inexperienced and cost the company a boatload of problems, my head would roll.

Then again, I live in the real world.
That's very true. If I made a bad selection in the employment process, it would be my neck on the chopping block. Like you said that's real world--politics, on the other hand...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
DRB said:
No he really was a fireman. However, he is the guy that suggested we stock up on duct tape and plastic sheeting to protect ourselves from chemical and biological attack.
"In case of Chemical or Biological attack, try and suffocate yourselves. It won't work, and it won't pretect you. But it'll pass the time 'till your slow pianful death and I have shares in 3M."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, now that my President has accepted blame, when is he going to do the right thing?