Quantcast

FEMA response in CALI

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I was talking to a buddy and said "I can't beleive some idiot hasn't started sh!t regarding the responses between New Orleans and now SoCal."

You can look at it a few ways.

- They extent of the disaster isn't comparable.

- FEMA got chewed up for NewOrleans, so they did better

- If the whole CA coast went up in a fire ball (and people decided they could ride it out) and help could not approach the area for a couple days, then there would be a lot of dead SoCal people too.

Instead it becomes a race thing. :(

exactly...I think people are missing the point about others helping out ....it's because they can...now imagine the entire state in flames...how much help would there be then?...I can guarantee it would be every man/woman for themselves...D

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I personally think the situations are quite different, but then again I was not in New Orleans during the hurricane.

Although the fires here are incredibly destructive, I don't think that the destruction is as widespread and severe as the hurricane/floods of Katrina. All those people that you see at Qualcomm stadium are drinking Starbucks and whatnot because the area around the stadium and most of the coastal region is not affected much by the fires.

One thing I notice here is that everyone is being extremely helpful to their neighbors...the outpour of support on every level is incredible. That's what you get for living in America's finest city though. :thumb:
This is the truth. I moved here in Jan 2004, so I never experienced the fires of Oct 2003. I had no idea what one does in a fire, but I remember a line from M*A*S*H (I think):

Some guy: "OK, the first thing people do in a situation like this is panic."
Hawkeye: "Well, I think I'm doing it in the right order, then."

But people who had lived through the 2003 fires seemed to take all this in stride. I saw no one panic or lose control. Instead, I see people volunteering all over the county, people calling around asking how they can help, people opening their homes to others. If you go to volunteersandiego.org, you'll see that they have posted: "Currently there are more volunteers than volunteer opportunities..." The response is tremendous. There is certainly a collective sense of "we are all in this together."

One of the local news talking heads was commenting to one of the tourism board guys that he would have a hard time marketing San Diego as a place to visit. I couldn't disagree more. The fires are something of a freak occurrence that are fairly predictable. What is more permanent and endemic is the character of San Diegans in the face of crisis; it reminds me of the spirit of New Yorkers after 9/11. This is a great place to be, and full of great people to be around.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I was talking to a buddy and said "I can't beleive some idiot hasn't started sh!t regarding the responses between New Orleans and now SoCal."

You can look at it a few ways.

- They extent of the disaster isn't comparable.

- CA are more mobile (to get out of harms way)

- The place people gathered for shelter isn't smack dab in the middle of the fire.

- FEMA got chewed up for NewOrleans, so they did better

- If the whole CA coast went up in a fire ball (and people decided they could ride it out) and help could not approach the area for a couple days, then there would be a lot of dead SoCal people too.

Instead it becomes a race thing. :(

Wild fire and a Hurricane are not on the same level of disasters.

Exactly right. You are my hero.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Uhm - how big do you think New Orleans is???
Yeah... N.O. on paper isn't much larger than the affected areas of SD/evacuation size.

This is where the poor people get off during natural disasters...they don't live in the high-priced fire-prone areas. I get a kick out of some of the "donate to SoCal" stuff popping up (Kotex example: Donating money for childrens Halloween candy - wtf?). I'm not saying the people shouldn't get support from outsiders wanting to "do their part", but most are well prepared to deal with such tangible things in the form of strong neighborhoods, insurance, and wealth. Give your dollars to the ARC instead of random ass fund drives for chocolates for fat kids.

Tmeyer said:
Edit: I just saw a quick interview with some middle aged dude in a suit and I quote "who cares, insurance will cover it all anyway"
Exactly.

scrider

Chimp
May 2, 2004
Phoenix
My thoughts exactly. :disgust:

Edit: I just saw a quick interview with some middle aged dude in a suit and I quote "who cares, insurance will cover it all anyway"
That guy will learn a harsh lesson in the weeks and months to come. Insurance companies will find any loop hole that they can use not to pay for the construction of burned down houses. :disgust1:

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
God hates NOLA?
I was there for the hurricane.
I would have preferred to be in SD.
Starbucks sounds better then four days in the hot and the wet.
Forget going to the Dome though, that sounded like a bad plan to start out on.

Its Arnold. He's just better then Ray Nagin.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My personal favorite is some people in Orange County bitching about the fact that they didn't get enough help. Every time it comes to taxes or Mexicans, we're a bunch of libertarians, but as soon as a fire takes out a few homes (and we are a tiny drop in the bucket compared to San Diego County) the complaining starts.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
But people who had lived through the 2003 fires seemed to take all this in stride. I saw no one panic or lose control. Instead, I see people volunteering all over the county, people calling around asking how they can help, people opening their homes to others.
People in CA know how to deal with two things, wildfires and earthquakes.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I think the single biggest factor that's keeping the people camped at Qualcom calm is that there's been between 300 and 500 thousand people evacuated (but those numbers are from CNN, so it's probably horribly inflated) and about 1300 structures destroyed, which meens around 1000 homes. Most of the people who've been evactuated know their homes are safe, so although it sucks living in a football stadium, they know they'll be home in a few days. Ca. catches on fire all the time, this year is worse than most, but it's something we're used to dealing with.

NOLA had been hit with huricanes before, but because they had levis they had never been flooded to that extent, Katrina just managed to knock down a levi and really fvck sh1t up. Since virtually the whole city is below sea-level (who's thought up that brilliant plan?), all the people sitting in the super-dome were pretty sure there house was destroyed, there was little to no hope that their houses mite be spared.

In SD there's a chance that the wind will shift, or a helicopter will dump some water on your house and protect it from fire, so even though you've been evacuated and your house is in the path of the fire, it could be saved. In NOLA, if you were evacuated, and your house was in the sub-sea level area, you knew you were fvcked.

Also the guys over at FEMA knew if they screwed up the next big disaster, there mite be a revolution, so they did a little bit of planning this time.