Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Heidi said:
That link just takes you to the main site. :(

Truck-bike wreck kills local woman
By Todd Neff, Camera Staff Writer
June 27, 2006

A Nederland woman cycling with her mother died Monday after an out-of-control gravel truck approaching a red light in Gunbarrel triggered a crash that involved two other trucks, state troopers said.

The woman died at the scene, at 63rd Street and Colo. 119, and was later identified by the Boulder County coroner as Linnea Luscher, 39, of Nederland.

The woman's husband, Marcus Luscher, was grieving her death Monday evening. He described Linnea Luscher as a devoted mother who traded promising careers in professional cycling and speed skating to be a full-time mother to her two young children.

When she was hit by the semi truck, Linnea Luscher was riding just ahead of her mother, who was not injured in the accident, witnesses said.

The Colorado State Patrol gave this account of the accident: Charles Kuhn, 34, of Lakewood, was driving a gravel truck northbound on Colo. 119 at about 10 a.m. when he swerved over a raised median curb to avoid cars stopped at the traffic light. The gravel truck — then in the southbound lanes — collided with a semi truck and a Toyota Tundra. The collision from the gravel and semi truck caused the semi truck to hit the cyclist.

Kuhn and the drivers of the other two trucks were taken to Boulder Community Hospital with minor injuries, said Trooper Eric Wynn.

Investigators are looking into whether there were any equipment failures — including brake problems — with the gravel truck that could have caused the accident. State patrol troopers do not suspect alcohol or drugs were involved in the crash.

Boulder County Coroner Tom Faure said in a news release Monday that there is an autopsy scheduled for Linnea Luscher, and the cause and manner of her death are pending further investigation.

Linnea Luscher lived in Nederland since 1995, and, before that, lived in Boulder, her husband said. She often volunteered at Nederland Elementary, and was always a friendly and well-recognized face in the small community, Marcus Luscher said.

"She was the person that everyone talked to," he said. "Everyone knows her up here. She was just really good at listening and helping people out."

Linnea Luscher loved being outdoors with her family, whether she was road biking through Boulder County with her mother, or teaching her children to ski and hike, her husband said.

"She was completely devoted to our kids," Marcus Luscher said. "She took them everywhere. She loved to teach them how to do the things she loved to do."

The gravel truck belongs to Concrete Express Inc., of Denver. Michelle Berger, Concrete Express's general counsel, said in a statement that the company is cooperating with the investigation but could not comment beyond "extending its sincere sympathy to the families affected by this accident."

The two big trucks straddled the 63rd Street median for hours on Monday as investigators worked the scene. More than a dozen police, fire and emergency-services vehicles narrowed traffic on Colo. 119 to one lane in both directions, causing traffic delays.

Mark Medina, of Longmont, and a truck driver himself, had just stopped his Ford Expedition as the first car in the right lane when he saw the gravel truck going by at what he estimates at a speed of between 35 mph and 45 mph over the right-turn median, which is covered with rocks, and into southbound traffic on 63rd Street.

"I've never seen anything so tragic in my life," Medina said.

Brent Hammond, 55, of Longmont, whose Toyota Tundra's right-rear headlight and bumper were crunched by the gravel truck, said he sped up when saw the oncoming truck.

"It hit me and then I heard another big hit," Hammond said. "I didn't see anything, but I knew the bicycles were right behind me."

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
That's rough. Her and her family are in my thoughts.
Everyone be careful out there...Though many times it's not us being irresponsible (driving or biking), but the actions of others.